Will Rams Now Be More Or Less Attractive to UDFA?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
With the Rams success this past season along with their new additions are they more attractive to an UDFA, or are they less attractive due to having fewer holes to fill.

Personally I feel it depends on what position they play. If they play LB, Edge, or Oline then the Rams look attractive. If they play any other position, probably not so much.

What say you?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think with the need for depth all over, and the belief that the Rams will provide quality coaching to their players, that they will be more attractive to UDFAs. Most would realize that if they aren't drafted, they are unlikely to move right into a starting spot, so making a good roster and getting coached up is a good goal.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But there will probably be some who'll be looking for teams that give them the best chance of making it onto the opening day roster; especially a team that has openings for the position that they play.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I’d guess the crappiest teams would have the most appeal for UDFAs. So, Rams less appealing.

OTOH, Snead has done a great job targeting UDFAs. Bam-bam and McLeod come to mind. I bet we’ll land a gem

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But there will probably be some who'll be looking for teams that give them the best chance of making it onto the opening day roster; especially a team that has openings for the position that they play.

The Rams do have openings all over - just not for starters. But there are opportunities for OL, RB, TE, QB, maybe WR, DL, LB, and safety.

I wouldn't sign with the Rams if I were a CB this offseason. Pretty much anywhere else there should be legitimate competition for the end of the roster. And coaches that should help the players.

What would hurt the Rams is that they just don't have cap room to give any significant signing bonuses to the most desirable UDFAs.

jap

Legend
The Rams do have openings all over - just not for starters. But there are opportunities for OL, RB, TE, QB, maybe WR, DL, LB, and safety.

I wouldn't sign with the Rams if I were a CB this offseason. Pretty much anywhere else there should be legitimate competition for the end of the roster. And coaches that should help the players.

What would hurt the Rams is that they just don't have cap room to give any significant signing bonuses to the most desirable UDFAs.

I believe the cap room only covers a certain number of players, although I don't recall the exact figure (51 players?). So Silent Stan should be able to sign whoever he needs as long as the salary total for that certain number of players does not exceed the cap limit.

tempests

Hall of Fame
These guys just want a chance to prove themselves, every NFL team looks attractive. UDFAs will sign with whoever is willing to sign them.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe the cap room only covers a certain number of players, although I don't recall the exact figure (51 players?). So Silent Stan should be able to sign whoever he needs as long as the salary total for that certain number of players does not exceed the cap limit.

If they have no guaranteed money such as signing bonuses, and are cut before the season begins, the Rams can have up to 80 at a time. But while there is a shorthand calculator of the top 51 for figuring the cap - the number that actually matters is the totality of money paid for the league year, including bonus money that counts for that league year (since some may be amortized over years). The money paid that counts includes the 10 man practice squad, and UDFAs signing bonuses.

But yes, the Rams can sign UDFAs that will end up counting little or nothing - but the issue is, will they want to sign with the Rams, since the starting lineup is loaded? Some players only get approached by one team, so of course they would sign. Many of the more desirable UDFAs are approached by multiple teams, and they get to pick and choose based on whichever factors they value.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the more accurate way to look at it is that in the past that the UDFA that the Rams signed appeared to be diamond in the rough because they were able to compete with a roster which was not exactly loaded with talent. So the Spruce's of the world seemed like the next big thing where in reality he is what he is, a jag who is lucky to land on a PS.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just show 'em a little leg, Les....
wUWgpdv.png

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
All NFL teams are constantly bringing in guys to upgrade the bottom of their rosters. Its an ongoing process all season.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Less and that's fine. I imagine UDFA would rather go to a team where they have a shot to make the roster.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With the Rams success this past season along with their new additions are they more attractive to an UDFA, or are they less attractive due to having fewer holes to fill.

Personally I feel it depends on what position they play. If they play LB, Edge, or Oline then the Rams look attractive. If they play any other position, probably not so much.

What say you?
I don't think specific positions matter, all Teams are always looking to improve there level of Talent and Depth at every position, be it UDFA or FA(y);):D!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, I’d guess the crappiest teams would have the most appeal for UDFAs. So, Rams less appealing.

OTOH, Snead has done a great job targeting UDFAs. Bam-bam and McLeod come to mind. I bet we’ll land a gem

Johnny Hekker was a huge pick up !!
He got rid of Super Bowl winners Josh Brown & Donnie Jones !!

He drafted Greg the Leg & picked up Hekker as a UDFA . What salary savings that move was.

— How about finding Austin Davis ???

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
UDFAs nowadays have agents rackin & stackin rosters to give them the best teams for roster spot opportunity. So looking at the Rams' roster they will have a definite advantage in some key positions...

1. OLB. The roster will be drafted, but it's still a wide-open position that will be very attractive to UDFAs.
2. ILB. The combination of roster opportunity plus Wade's history of making unknowns money at LB makes this another high-end destination for UDFAs.
3. Safety. There's going to be roster spot competition for the depth chart. This position isn't a "top 5" type destination like our LB positions (from the agent/opportunity perspective) but the Rams will be in play and might not otherwise address safety in the draft due to other needs.
4. OL. Rams' depth chart will have competition added in this draft. But I think they'll be competitive in the UDFA lineman market, and having a well respected OL coach in the development department helps too.

Last but not least is the special teams effect. Rams have historically focused on teams with the bottom roster cuts, since Fish was brought onboard, and it's continued under this regime. So I think they will be very attractive to UDFA types, mostly in the positions mentioned above but not those alone.

fearsomefour

Legend
It depends on the position.
If I was a punter or a CB I would keep looking.
If I was a 3/4 OLB or a LT, I'd sign up.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
These guys just want a chance to prove themselves, every NFL team looks attractive. UDFAs will sign with whoever is willing to sign them.
That really only holds true for the bottom tier of UDFAs, who just want a camp invite. The top UDFAs get so many offers they can pick exactly where they want to go. I remember some of those Rams teams after Fisher purged the roster were prime landing spots for UDFAs because the depth chart was so barren.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I wonder if UDFAs give any thought to the coaching they will get, even if it's just until training camp. If you are a WR getting offers from the Browns and the Rams, both teams have a ton of depth in front of you, do you want to learn from McVay and his staff or Hue Jackson and his staff?

Ha, who am I kidding. I'd just pick the Rams so I could spend the summer in California before trying to find a permanent spot in the NFL.