Wierd Place to Meet a Famous Person for You?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a couple of them, but I'll start with Mickey Gilley. It occurs to me that some of you young'uns might not know him, since he was most famous after the movie "The Urban Cowboy" with John Travolta and Debra Winger. Gilley wrote some of the songs in the movie, and his massive cowboy bar was the backdrop for the movie, with the mechanical bull for guys for whom too much testosterone and Lone Star beer was a problem.

Years later, Mickey Gilley had/has a small theater in Branson, Missouri to which I had brought a charter group to see a show. They were actually eatinga at the Gilley's restaraunt, and I needed to use the restroom. So I'm a the urinal, doing my business, when I glance to the right and there is Mickey Gilley takin' a piss.
"How you doing Mr Gilley. Fancy meeting you here.."

He enjoyed the shock value, I am sure.

So who is your strange story about?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t think it falls into the category of weird place, but I bumped into Goose Gossage at the airport a few years ago.

His baseball career ended a while ago, so he is less recognizable to most people. But he looked no different to me.

He was eating breakfast next to me by himself. When he moved back out into the seating areas I decided to approach him. Shook his hand. Cool thing for me as he was one of the best closers there for a stretch in the 80’s.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This happened in the mid 90s also in Branson Mo. I was in a Grocery store looking at something or other. When a women walks up to me and starts a conversation with me about I am sure whatever it was I was looking at. Now she was talking to me like we had known each other our whole lives which is not that unusual in some places in the Midwest. At the same time I am thinking I really do know her she is familier to me I just cant put my finger on it. I glance away for a moment then back and a man is standing with her. It was Mel Tillis. And of course she was his wife. We had a short conversation and we moved on. What made it really neat was Mel was one of my fathers favorite performers. So he really got a kick out of the story.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Does meeting Becky Lynch at a ghetto AF Cricket Wireless store count? #scheduledappearance

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I was a kid, my father would take the family to the track (Horse racing), compliments of a friend of his who comped us his luxury box at the race track. Was all stuffy, had to valet, men wore jackets/ties and there was a private elevator to gain access. When we were leaving, we got in the elevator and were joined by a completely hammered Walt Michaels, (former coach of the NY Jets)

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
My mother used to work at a bar and during the previous one season of XFL play, it was a favorite hang out of the SF team (Demons, I think). I met one or two of them once, but I don't really remember which one's because that was a while ago and they're weren't/aren't all that important.

I met the Rams cheerleaders and the guy who played Bubba in Forrest Gump the same day in Afghanistan. That was a scheduled appearance, but Afghanistan is a weird place to meet anyone.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Before he was a "40 year old man", I was assigned to get Mike Gundy into his area for his first paid autograph session after his playing days @ O-State was over. He was kind of a dick.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
When I was a kid, my parents would occasionally take me to Love's BBQ Pit. Well one time we're sitting in the lounge, waiting for a table (yes... Kids could do that then), and my dad says, "hey Stu. There's Claude Akins over there at the bar.". To which my response was, "Who?".

Anyway, my dad informed me that Claude was an actor and since I had just broken my ankle in a tragic bicycle accident (ok... I was riding on the little rack thing on my sister's 3 speed, she went over a bump and my ankle got caught in the spokes - snap!) But I digress....

I walked over to him and said "Mr. Akins sir. Would you please sign my cast?". He spun around in his bar stool, grinned, and said, "Only if you sign mine first son."

It turned out that Claude was doing some baseball movie and broke the same ankle sliding into home plate.

So, I signed his cast and he signed mine.

A funny meeting - not mine - happened to my sister when her daughter was real young. My sister was in Trancas Market in Malibu and walked a few feet away from the cart. When she looked back, she saw what appeared to be some hobo doing the ole goochy goo thing to my niece. My sister ran back over as Bob Dylan looked up at her with a smile.

This happened in the mid 90s also in Branson Mo. I was in a Grocery store looking at something or other. When a women walks up to me and starts a conversation with me about I am sure whatever it was I was looking at. Now she was talking to me like we had known each other our whole lives which is not that unusual in some places in the Midwest. At the same time I am thinking I really do know her she is familier to me I just cant put my finger on it. I glance away for a moment then back and a man is standing with her. It was Mel Tillis. And of course she was his wife. We had a short conversation and we moved on. What made it really neat was Mel was one of my fathers favorite performers. So he really got a kick out of the story.
I met Mel at one of my mom's art shows. Very nice man.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Bumped into Adam Timmerman at out local Walmart once

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Weird place? Hmm...I've got a few; shooting the bull with Joe Montana in the leather jacket section at Palo Alto Nordstrom in '84...having Joe DiMaggio call me to thank me for "saving his 80th birthday" :cool: (long story)...sitting on the couch next to Willie McCovey watching football after a SF Giants game in '77 (another long story)...having Barry Bonds sign a ball for me in the batting cages area below the Giants dugout the night he hit his 64th homer in his record year...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Pissed next to Will Ferrell at a Kings game between periods a few years back, and about 8 years ago I gave Kate Beckinsale a fist bump on the 405 on my bike. She was in the back of a town car and I saw her, offered my fist and she replied in kind.

Most celebrities I met was either for work or my fathers work, but I do have a number of stories.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
I don’t think it falls into the category of weird place, but I bumped into Goose Gossage at the airport a few years ago.

His baseball career ended a while ago, so he is less recognizable to most people. But he looked no different to me.

He was eating breakfast next to me by himself. When he moved back out into the seating areas I decided to approach him. Shook his hand. Cool thing for me as he was one of the best closers there for a stretch in the 80’s.
Okay, here's one for you. Back in the '70s when I had my paper route, Goose Gossage and Bucky Dent were a couple of customers at the same time. I even remember which apartments they lived in. Bucky was a customer by default. I had been delivering papers to someone else who lived in his apartment and the guy moved out on me. Dent moved in. The other guy owed for 8 weeks worth of papers, Dent told me to keep the papers coming and paid for the guys 8 weeks worth.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Working the flight line at Washington National Airport one night when one of the American Express jets came in. They parked out in the back 40 so we figured it was just the crew bringing the plane to pick someone up the next morning. So we took the van out to get them. Met the pilot at the bottom of the stairs and he said they had 2 passengers. Down the stairs comes Henry Kissinger and his aide. He had actually told the pilot to park the plane out there so they didn't have to move it after he got off. Now, this was about 4 days before President Bush, the first one, was to meet Boris Yelstin in DC.