Why keeping Lance Kendricks was a Rams priority/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Why keeping Lance Kendricks was a Rams priority
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...y-keeping-lance-kendricks-was-a-rams-priority

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- By now, you've probably already heard the story of tight end Lance Kendricks taking a slightly smaller offer to stay with the St. Louis Rams rather than head south to the Atlanta Falcons.

As Kendricks explained, it was a move made in no small part because of other things on the periphery, such as a close relationship with tight ends coach Rob Boras and promises of an expanded role in the passing game.

From the Rams' side, many of those things held just as true. Upon promoting Boras to assistant head coach/offense and Frank Cignetti to offensive coordinator, the offensive staff began evaluations from last season. One undeniable discovery was Kendricks' role in pretty much everything that they do.

"Coach Boras had a lot to do with him coming back," head coach Jeff Fisher said. "They talked throughout the process. When we sat down and made the offensive change, the offense sat down there [and] started reviewing our run game and the passing game. It became apparent to them that Lance was very important to us moving forward. As an organization we recognized that, so it was important to get him back."

While Kendricks played 569 snaps in 2014, which was second among Rams tight ends and in the neighborhood of 60 percent of the total offensive snaps, it's not so much the number of snaps�as the flexibility he gives the offense within those plays. According to Pro Football Focus, Kendricks was asked to run-block on 55 percent of his plays, to pass-block 9 percent of the time and to run a route on 36 percent of his snaps.

It's in the run game that the Rams particularly value Kendricks because he's able to be a lead blocker from the backfield or on the line or even out in space.

As for the idea of Kendricks turning down more money elsewhere, Fisher said that was no concern of his, and he's just happy to have Kendricks back in the fold.

"He was talking with -- I believe Atlanta was a key competitor with him," Fisher said. "It may have been the case where there were a few more pennies on the table there than there were here, but we're excited to get him back."

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Kendricks is a very versatile weapon for us. Glad he's back as well, anything to help our offense find some continuity after changing the OC & the QB this season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Once could argue we traded Sam Bradford for;

Foles
Kendricks
Fairley
2nd rounder
Move down from 5th to 4th rounder

I am rooting for Sam's success in Philly, but that trade made so much sense considering his injury history.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Once could argue we traded Sam Bradford for;

Foles
Kendricks
Fairley
2nd rounder
Move down from 5th to 4th rounder

I am rooting for Sam's success in Philly, but that trade made so much sense considering his injury history.
Would be nice if there was a decent o-line starter in that list too :-/

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
More running down the seam for Kendricks, like he did with Bradford, would be great for the overall passing game.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
i like all this foreshadowing about the offensive changes. thank god. can't wait to see how Cignetti calls the second half of games. doesn't take much to be better than Schotty in that aspect

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Glad we are FINALLY keeping our own, and staying away from FA's....well just the washed up kind...

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Kendricks was not a must sign. Harkey and I think Bayer could have stepped in and done his job.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Kendricks was not a must sign. Harkey and I think Bayer could have stepped in and done his job.
Sounds like you and Harkey think a lot of this guy Bayer, haha.

I have always like Lance's game and I think we got him at a fair price. Dude has been a utility knife for us.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Kendricks because he is not Jared Cook who teams know even if it is a run it's not coming that way, basically why the Saints got rid of Graham .

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Kendricks because he is not Jared Cook who teams know even if it is a run it's not coming that way, basically why the Saints got rid of Graham .

Yeah, sometimes I think they oughta just make Cook a wide receiver.