Why Greg Robinson's 2016 season could affect everything

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Greg Robinson's 2016 will be?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_c42830b2d41a47258d0e004cee0c3241~mv2.jpg

August 8, 2016 | By: Jake Ellenbogen

Back in 2014 the Rams thought they had just locked up the best overall offensive tackle in the NFL draft. Well now going into his third season, that same offensive lineman has been nothing spectacular by any means.

Greg Robinson finds himself in not only his third season but a pivotal one at that. He has had an extremely rough time at the left tackle position and doesn't want to continue that especially now, with the Rams bringing in the hopeful future franchise quarterback Jared Goff.

Robinson worked with OL guru LeCharles Bentley over the offseason in hope to improve his technique as a blindside protector. Robinson received some praise from Bentley as well as giving us some room for optimism perhaps? Well it hasn't been all that perfect lately though. Saturday at the Coliseum, according to Eddie Perez of Turf Show Times, the former 2nd overall pick didn't exactly stand out in a good way.

"We definitely need to see more intensity for Greg Robinson. He struggled blocking DE Eugene Sims. Got into a lil' shoving match with Alec Ogletree and Tree punked him. I can't say Greg is weak, but Alec sure made him look that way. A few plays later, Robinson proceeded to just barely put his hands on DL Ethan Westbrook on pass protection."

That doesn't sound good and while he has some time to fix it before the season it just still isn't good to be having these issues. Lacking intensity is a bad sign for your blindside protector. Although it is worth mentioning Gil Brandt of NFL.com tweeted his belief in Robinson and thinks he's showed some flashes of being the guy the Rams need him to be this offseason.

Read more...

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I did get the feeling from him that's he's just too nice a dude for the position. When he was drafted, during his interview, it was almost like he had the intensity of a little kid. He needs to get pissed off and start slamming fools.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hey Jake,
Love the new site...more depth, more info...always good in the offseason. I really like Eddie P....A little harsh on guys not in full pads...and IMO, they aren't going hard...like they would in a game...while Dallas doesn't have the D-Line to really see how much he's improved, I think it will be a better gage on G-Rob. The real test will be the 3rd preseason game vs Denver & either Von Miller or D. Ware....
Can't wait for the season to start...Buckner should be a great test...SF has some excellent D-Linemen to see if Greg is on the right track....

jap

Legend
It would be nice if 'Lando Pace and Jackie Slater bonded with the big kid and let him know in no uncertain terms what he needs to do to succeed at this level. Greg has 'Lando's athleticism but lacks his grace. Can 'Lando help teach this kid how to dance on the edges like he did? Jackie was so complete! I never saw any OT shut down Hall of Fame DE, Reggie White, as thoroughly as he did.

Greg showed some real pride by stepping up to address his technique issues this off-season. However, he needs to go all the way to the utmost to approach all pro ability at this level. The time for relying on God-given gifts is long past. All those gifts need to be thoroughly refined to the max now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It sure did effect a lot last season & very little positive. From where I sat ( which was a long distance away I have to admit) I saw very little effort being put forth or effectiveness directly coming from the OLT post. I was left with the impression that the Ram Organization spent a lot of offensive :lifting: wattage to find ways to underpin & prop up the starting OLT position each & every week.

After the 2015 season ended I spent some time reviewing this situation & paying close attention to the positive late improvement flashed :shades:from the OLT post. I summarized what I saw positive was more due to the effort of the Rams organization & fellow Ram offensive cadre .......than from the player starting in that post. Its obvious my overall conclusion is much different from most of my fine ROD members who's opinions I do value much. Sorry to say its not uplifting or pleasant to say.

I have no issues with all this massive posted hope we have here for our starting OLT will have a Ram all pro season. I also have those same hopes. What I don't understand:confused: is on what they base such beliefs :shocking: on our starting OLT.

I just do not have any faith in our OLT to fulfill all those very high desires. I will gladly :Dsettle for just a solid 2016 performances where our OLT actually contributes positively & consistency to strengthen the offence instead of what I observed where our OLT sucked off & & caused issues from the overall power of the offense so this team could survive till seasons end. I will agree that our starting OLT could once again have a very big effect on this upcoming season. Friday night:popcorn: will finally give me an opportunity to see our newly revised refurbished starting OLT.

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Jake,
Love the new site...more depth, more info...always good in the offseason. I really like Eddie P....A little harsh on guys not in full pads...and IMO, they aren't going hard...like they would in a game...while Dallas doesn't have the D-Line to really see how much he's improved, I think it will be a better gage on G-Rob. The real test will be the 3rd preseason game vs Denver & either Von Miller or D. Ware....
Can't wait for the season to start...Buckner should be a great test...SF has some excellent D-Linemen to see if Greg is on the right track....
Thank you LACHAMP! I agree I also really hate that Buckner went to the Whiners...