Why Austin Davis Gives the Rams Best Chance to Salvage 2013 Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good read.

A little depressing, too.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
In agreement, Davis is the best QB on our roster, not as bad of a thing as everybody makes it out to be. Remember he's still a relatively young guy, so it may be more to being young than being bad. I think he could develop to be somebody pretty solid given a chance.

fancents86

Starter
I was impressed by his footwork during the preseason. I looked up his preseason stats and they were pretty good, qbr of 87 I believe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was impressed by his footwork during the preseason. I looked up his preseason stats and they were pretty good, qbr of 87 I believe?

From what I've seen.. Austin is a game manager.. Heady QB who won't take a lot of chances (unlike his USM counterpart, Favre).. Plain and simple, he whipped Case Keenum's ass their Senior year in college.. However, NFL is purely developmental and so far Case Keenum has him beat...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was sorely disappointed by his regression. I am sure Snead and Fisher were too. It spoke to his dedication because he took some backwards steps in e offseason. That is probably why they booted Davis. Why let a developmental guy hang on if he isn't going to develop?

fearsomefour

Legend
In agreement, Davis is the best QB on our roster, not as bad of a thing as everybody makes it out to be. Remember he's still a relatively young guy, so it may be more to being young than being bad. I think he could develop to be somebody pretty solid given a chance.

I have no problem letting him start for no other reason than to see if he can develop into that back up kind of QB. If not, no loss (the season is busted in my opinion). If so, then cool, found a young back up with upside who is familiar with the team and saved a mid round pick.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Article lost me in the first sentence. The Rams are still better than TB and Tennessee at home possibly Arizona on the road and I would not be surprised to see the Rams have a good chance to win Monday night.

I'll go back and read but basically the guy is full of it and has an agenda promoting a guy that hasn't been on anyone's practice squad let alone an NFL roster.

Davis does not give us the best chance to win a game, Clemens does.

RamBammer

UDFA
Name
Rambammer
Remember Ryan Fitzpatrick? Third string behind Martin and threw for 310 yds and 3 tds in a half to a come from behind victory over the Texans in 2005? Our savior - mmmm … didn’t win another game that year. However he has done well and I’m not sure why we let him get away.
I’m not convinced any of the QBs on our roster are any good.
Quinn I never believed in. Ohio State blew him up in their bowl game. His NFL carrier was ..... NOT. But his sister is the Animals wife ;) that's a plus.
Clements what is he 13 ints for 4 tds for all his NFL game play?
Davis .. in Southern Miss he was great but after … not so much. Didn’t make with with the Rams, went to Miami and got on their practice squad, them back to the Rams practice squad.
I pray I’m wrong but I only see 3 maybe 4 wins max now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's a lot of thoughts for your first post. :heh:

I'll take 4 more wins (for starters).

RamBammer

UDFA
Name
Rambammer
Thanks Gotta start somewhere - been a rams fan since Jack Snow was catching passes :D. Just never had the time to post to boards.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think this preseason was a little hard to grade Austin Davis. Let's face it; nothing in the offense was clicking no matter who was at QB. And... most of his playing time was with guys no longer here.

So, put me in the camp still a tad hopeful Austin Davis shows something when playing with the big league squad.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Remember Ryan Fitzpatrick? Third string behind Martin and threw for 310 yds and 3 tds in a half to a come from behind victory over the Texans in 2005? Our savior - mmmm … didn’t win another game that year. However he has done well and I’m not sure why we let him get away.
Quinn I never believed in. Ohio State blew him up in their bowl game. His NFL carrier was ..... NOT. But his sister is the Animals wife :wink: that's a plus.
Davis .. in Southern Miss he was great but after … not so much. Didn’t make with with the Rams, went to Miami and got on their practice squad, them back to the Rams practice squad.
Good points here. Not gonna argue with this because facts are facts. But the past is the past & I'm not gonna be diggin up bones. Fact is, our QBs (current) have had little to no reps with the 1's, so we really have no idea how they are going to perform. Same thing with Brady Quinn. He has not played wit these guys, in this system, so we don't know what he will do here. What I do know is I'll be behind them, and who knows, "any given Sunday".
and by the way, welcome RamBammer. you gonna love it here.

GO RAMS!!!!

duckhunter

Starter
Anything is possible. Maybe somebody catches fire, but I kind of thought the O would have been more consistent than it has been. Hard to expect Davis to play nearly as good as Sam and Sam struggled at times. It seems to be a very fluid situation down to even what type of identity our offense is.

Hope for the best but I wouldn't bet on it.

RamBammer

UDFA
Name
Rambammer
thanks rickrawk. Yes the past is the past and there has not been a season since '72 I haven't been a fan nor missed a game (thanks directtv) since 98.
And you are more than correct “any Given Sunday”! I believe back in ’02 the Rams were 0-5 when the powerhouse Raiders 5-0 came into our house. Warner was benched early and Bulger led us to victory behind a great D effort.
And this Sunday – I’ll be sitting and cheering for the only team I ever loved and at this point in my life I know in my heart they will win. Just hope I feel well Tuesday. Victory hangovers feel much better than a loss.
Fisher will led us back to the top of the league. This is just a minor setback.
BUT I’m not convinced that our running back corps are as advertised. Consider this. Under Sam we had a blistering (ok maybe not blistering) pass attack so the other teams could not stack the box (aka SJ39). What happens this week will tell a lot.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Quinn I never believed in. Ohio State blew him up in their bowl game. His NFL carrier was ..... NOT. But his sister is the Animals wife :wink: that's a plus.

Why I think Fitzy was traded is because he wasn't drafted when Linehan was HC. Bulger was just about to be in Year 1 of his big, new contract and the team also had Frerotte as a backup, so I think, in Linehan's mind, that made Fitzpatrick expendable.

RamBammer

UDFA
Name
Rambammer
Your absolutely correct it that assumption as far as I'm concerned. Linehan - just the name makes me cringe. Frerotte joined in 2008 - he was already a has been then and I believe his last season in the league. Linehan ooohhhhhhhhhhhh! Coach Carter would have been a better head coach even though he coached round ball in a movie!

DeaconJ

Rookie
I got my doubts...

Clemens did beat him out, after all.

Clemens 'beat him out' because of the coach's 'veteran' comfort zone. In actuality they were pretty even this pre-season, although it looked like Austin had regressed from last year. Sophomore slump?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can understand why someone would write this story, however, you could write that the Rams faith in Austin Davis has lead to their demise...Coming into 2013 the Rams felt they were fine at the QB position. They had their a true number one in Bradford and up coming number two in Austin Davis and a 3rd string QB who had starts in the NFL and knew the system really well.

That is why Snead & company did not draft a QB or sign one in free agency. Austin Davis however right from the outset showcased he was not the same QB from last season. Some reported about in OTA's and from the start of training camp and Davis did not play well in pre-season. For some who post that Clemens & Davis were even did not watch pre-season. Davis could not get the ball down field at all and when Clemens played with better players, he was better than Davis. Davis could not throw the ball more than five yards, he did not look the same.

Last season Davis showed the ability to make something out nothing, but this year he struggled in every area. The Rams were right to release him the mistake they made was not picking up somebody like Thad Lewis or Ryan Griffin once they were released. I always believe teams should carry three QB's if the Rams had done that and not kept Brandon Washington they would be better for it because instead of Kellen Clemens they would've had another option.

I don't hold out much hope for any of the QB's on the roster all them will be gone come 2014 and hopefully the Rams will draft a QB next year and maybe even looking into signing someone who can actually win a game when your QB gets hurt like Shaun Hill of the Lions or Kyle Orton of the Cowboys for example.

Last edited by a moderator: