Why are the Rams always the last team to get their rookies signed?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Is it because Fisher/Snead want to lecture them about money first? The way the salaries for rookies are now regimented, that seems to be the only logical reason that comes to mind.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/vikings-get-entire-rookie-class-under-contract/

Vikings get entire rookie class under contract
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 7, 2015

One week after the start of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Vikings have all 10 drafted rookies under contract, the club announced Thursday night.

The Vikings’ drafted rookie class is as follows: cornerback Trae Waynes (Round One), linebackerEric Kendricks (Round Two), defensive end Danielle Hunter (Round Three), offensive tackleT.J. Clemmings (Round Four), tight end MyCole Pruitt (Round Five), wide receiver Stefon Diggs(Round Five), offensive lineman Tyrus Thompson (Round Six), defensive lineman B.J. Dubose (Round Six), offensive lineman Austin Shepherd (Round Seven), linebacker Edmond Robinson (Round Seven). Deals with Waynes, Kendricks, Dubose and Thompson had previously been mentioned here.

Waynes, a former Michigan State standout, could push for a starting role in his first season, as could Kendricks, a UCLA product.

The Vikings’ rookie minicamp begins Friday.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher has been doing it this way since he became Rams coach. All the contracts are pretty much in place, but before they sign the contracts fisher takes them through life coaching. Financial responsibility, it's said that he brings a brin truck with a million dollars to show them how many people have a hand in their money and what they actually end up with. At the end of all of this they all sit down and sign their contracts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I definitely like the Ram's approach!

This is a great idea and kudos to Fisher for doing this right.

iced

I like the way he does it - educational, insightful, organized... helps our players manage their money better

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That and the later they have the money while absorbing the requirements of what it takes to be a pro...

Fisher is getting these guys to realize it's not about the contract or buying stuff, but being professional football players.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
The other thing I like about him holding out the money is that these kids don't get to blow all their money foolishly between OTAs and training camp ala Johnny rehab.
I don't know if it helps long term, but it damn sure helps them at least start out on the right foot.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yea, I think it is awesome how the Rams conduct their rookie signings!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher/Snead want to lecture them about money first? The way the salaries for rookies are now regimented, that seems to be the only logical reason that comes to mind.

Fisher has been doing it this way since he became Rams coach. All the contracts are pretty much in place, but before they sign the contracts fisher takes them through life coaching. Financial responsibility, it's said that he brings a brin truck with a million dollars to show them how many people have a hand in their money and what they actually end up with. At the end of all of this they all sit down and sign their contracts.
This ^ is the reasoning Fisher gave last year when questioned on the subject.
And I too think it's a great approach!!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Side note: The Vikings are getting scary, their drafts have been solid the past 3 years, and that D is going to be fierce. I think that they are a solid WR and probably 1 year removed from taking over the North.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Side note: The Vikings are getting scary, their drafts have been solid the past 3 years, and that D is going to be fierce. I think that they are a solid WR and probably 1 year removed from taking over the North.
You tell em' John Snow. Winter is coming....

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
How else to better build a "team" than to have the newbies be indoctrinated together on several levels before handing them money as individuals? Successful corporations do the same thing. Sign them individually and its a personal highlight. Together it's a class moment with comraderie and accountability

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I've seen a few of his former players talk about how much of a help it was that Fisher does this. Pretty sure we saw an interview of Britt praising it. I'm sure there are a lot of players who wish this was done for them as well with the rates we see of former players going bankrupt.