Who will be the Rams top pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Assuming they don't make a trade and also assuming Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Leonard Williams, Amari Cooper and Kevin White have already been selected who do you think will end up being the Rams top pick?

I personally would be very happy with Brandon Scherff, Andrus Peat, DeVante Parker, Ereck Flowers or La'el Collins but I am guessing BRANDON SCHERFFR will end up being the Rams top pick. And, if the Rams can sign a quality FA offensive lineman (Rodney Hudson, Mike Iupati, Orlando Franklin, Stefen Wisniewski, Clint Boling, Justin Blalock, Brian Bulaga, etc) or two to go along with Scherff and another OL draft pick (Cameron Erving, Reese Dismukes, Hroniss Grasu, A.J. Cann, Laken Tomlinson, Tre' Jackson, etc) later in the draft the Rams offensive line should not only be vastly improved over the past few seasons they could also be very good once they get some playing experience together!

To make a long story a little shorter I think Scherff will end up being the Rams top pick! Not a sexy pick but in my opinion a very, very good choice!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In that scenario, I hope the Rams move down to somewhere between #15 and #18 and take T.J. Clemmings.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
To make a long story a little shorter I think Scherff will end up being the Rams top pick! Not a sexy pick but in my opinion a very, very good choice!

I concur IMO, the Rams view Brandon Scherff much like they viewed Zack Martin last year. Feeling they will add a center in free agency resign Barksdale and then draft Scherff to play guard.

FrankenRam

Starter
IMO, this will be highly influenced by what they get done in FA. If they resign Barksdale AND another FA OL, then I think this first pick is pretty wide open.

IF neither of the above were to happen, then I would bet an OL is a pretty safe bet. And probably if they only do one of the above.

My ideal scenario would have both Barks and another FA signing, and then a trade down from that first pick.....though I'm really squishy on how far back they should trade and would depend on how confident they are of the group of players that might be available at a later point. I.e., if they feel there's a significant dropoff between who's available at 10 vs who might be available in say the #20 range, then I'd stick with the #10 pick.

Edit: I neglected to add that this could be significantly influenced by what happens with Britt as well.....plus the prognosis for Quick's shoulder. If they are unable to resign Britt and Quick's shoulder is slow to recover.....well, guess what position became a glaring need.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Assuming they stay put I think they grab Scherff. I think he can play RT just fine next year and think he can be a great guard.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Cooper could fall though.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You have a lot of really good choices their, @paceman, but I think I would take Cameron Erving before Scherff.
But considering they've cut Langford, I'm betting they go after Leonard Williams, or Vic Beasley 1st. Of course that's as long as they are successful with a free agent or two for the O-Line!

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I concur IMO, the Rams view Brandon Scherff much like they viewed Zack Martin last year. Feeling they will add a center in free agency resign Barksdale and then draft Scherff to play guard.

Sounds like a solid plan! Do you think Barrett Jones will make the Rams roster (and, possibly even get some playing time) next season? I have to admit that I was pretty excited about the Rams drafting him and I really thought he would be a great addition to their offensive line but he seems to be having a difficult time getting on the field (but,I guess you can't do much about injuries).

SierraRam

Recreational User
In that scenario, I hope the Rams move down to somewhere between #15 and #18 and take T.J. Clemmings.

I really like the 'trade back' scenario, but I want Cam Erving from Florida St at #15-20. The guy is versatile, quick, strong and nasty. We could have 3 holes on the OL, and he would fill any of them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sounds like a solid plan! Do you think Barrett Jones will make the Rams roster (and, possibly even get some playing time) next season?

Barrett Jones to this point has been a conundrum and I have to agree with Nick Wagoner who feels he was a warhorse in college and so far it has taken it's toll on his professional career. First year was a red shift year because of his foot and last year his back and although was healthy could not find time over the likes of Davin Joseph and Scott Wells and that in itself just does not add up.

My one (more than one actually) with the St. Louis media, I would as Jeff Fisher this question. Coach why has Barrett Jones not seen the field? Is he not healthy or do you not have confidence in his ability at this point? No maybe Fisher would not take another question from me the rest of the year, but I would still ask it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Tax time = Barrett Jones time.
I'm sure Jones is up to his ass in paperwork right now. The entire roster plus coaches probably drew numbers out of a hat in order to get in line for Barrett's services.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like the 'trade back' scenario, but I want Cam Erving from Florida St at #15-20. The guy is versatile, quick, strong and nasty. We could have 3 holes on the OL, and he would fill any of them.

I rate Clemmings as a better player. JMO.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I rate Clemmings as a better player. JMO.

I'd be happy with either! They'll both start for whomever gets them. Every time I watched Florida St., Erving jumped out at me. He always moved his guy and/or got to the 2nd level. After watching Wells the last couple of years, I've learned to focus on and appreciate dominate Centers! And I like Erving's versatility - he's excelled at every OL position he's played. (uh, didn't they say the same thing about Barrett Jones... :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

lockdnram21

Legend
Sounds like a solid plan! Do you think Barrett Jones will make the Rams roster (and, possibly even get some playing time) next season? I have to admit that I was pretty excited about the Rams drafting him and I really thought he would be a great addition to their offensive line but he seems to be having a difficult time getting on the field (but,I guess you can't do much about injuries).
I think the one not to forget about is Demetrius Rhaney Fisher said he really Liked him if healthy i think he will be in competition to be Center

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the one not to forget about is Demetrius Rhaney Fisher said he really Liked him if healthy i think he will be in competition to be Center

Rhaney should be a surprising riser in training camp this early 2015 season. Last TC the Rams were running with Barnes & Rhaney heavy due to the illness of Wells & the back surgery on Barrett Jones. The smaller but super fast & quick Rhaney suffered a knee injury late in pre season. It was not a bad one Rams then turned to OT/OG Mike person as the new reserve center. Its my belief the Rams were going to placed Rhaney on the IR & bring him back later in the season but the injury to Chris Long flushed that thought. In truth Chris should have not returned form that injury IMO.

I would prefer that the org. clear the top deck of this center position by just releasing Scott Wells now! Then resign the younger (26 yr old) bigger (6-4 308 pound) experienced 4yr vet with 45 Ram games under his belt with 6 finished starts @ center & healthier (RFA) Tim Barnes as the lead starting candidate battling with the very young 22 yr old Demetrius Rhaney. Having those two working the center post again just like last season brings some of a constant here. Lets get Rhaney up & running & get good use out of him early.

With Rhaney producing it will permit Boud to make full use of Barrett Jones versatility elsewhere. If I had Boud's ear I would be yelling ...Right OT position work day one. Jones 10 inch plus large hands & 34 plus inch long arms should serve him well there this season. Barrett may not get the same strong push on those right end runs but Barrett is sure to stymie those smaller quicker pass rusher that molested our QB's last season.

jjab360

Legend
Rhaney should be a surprising riser in training camp this early 2015 season. Last TC the Rams were running with Barnes & Rhaney heavy due to the illness of Wells & the back surgery on Barrett Jones. The smaller but super fast & quick Rhaney suffered a knee injury late in pre season. It was not a bad one Rams then turned to OT/OG Mike person as the new reserve center. Its my belief the Rams were going to placed Rhaney on the IR & bring him back later in the season but the injury to Chris Long flushed that thought. In truth Chris should have not returned form that injury IMO.

I would prefer that the org. clear the top deck of this center position by just releasing Scott Wells now! Then resign the younger (26 yr old) bigger (6-4 308 pound) experienced 4yr vet with 45 Ram games under his belt with 6 finished starts @ center & healthier (RFA) Tim Barnes as the lead starting candidate battling with the very young 22 yr old Demetrius Rhaney. Having those two working the center post again just like last season brings some of a constant here. Lets get Rhaney up & running & get good use out of him early.

With Rhaney producing it will permit Boud to make full use of Barrett Jones versatility elsewhere. If I had Boud's ear I would be yelling ...Right OT position work day one. Jones 10 inch plus large hands & 34 plus inch long arms should serve him well there this season. Barrett may not get the same strong push on those right end runs but Barrett is sure to stymie those smaller quicker pass rusher that molested our QB's last season.
It would be a nice suprise if any of the guys you named turn out to be productive but it would be first and foremost a surprise. If we're heading into 2015 with any of Rhaney, Person, Jones, or Barnes starting, competing for a starting spot, or even as our 6th OL first off the bench we are in huge trouble imo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You've nailed it!! He's my favorite too, for just these reasons!!!(y)(y):love::D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It would be a nice suprise if any of the guys you named turn out to be productive but it would be first and foremost a surprise. If we're heading into 2015 with any of Rhaney, Person, Jones, or Barnes starting, competing for a starting spot, or even as our 6th OL first off the bench we are in huge trouble imo.
Get ready jjab360 you will have a nice surprise in late summer!:)

WestCoastRam

Legend
I will say this: I never heard the coaches express the thinking that they liked Barrett Jones at center the way they mentioned Rhaney to JT. I would not be surprised if Jones doesn't have "it" regardless on injuries. Which sucks but I suspect it's closer to the truth than not. If you can play, Fisher will play you... maybe 4 games too late into the season, but still, he'll play you.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will say this: I never heard the coaches express the thinking that they liked Barrett Jones at center the way they mentioned Rhaney to JT. I would not be surprised if Jones doesn't have "it" regardless on injuries. Which sucks but I suspect it's closer to the truth than not. If you can play, Fisher will play you... maybe 4 games too late into the season, but still, he'll play you.

I'm not so sure about that. Jones and Barnes may not be superstars but I've seen both play and they offered more than the hot garbage we had at Center this year.