Who is Andrew Donnal?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Very, very surprised and disappointed with this pick! I am having a difficult time even finding information on him. Anyone else feel better about this pick than me?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I saw a few draftnics who had him on their top 5 list of available tackles in day 3 - but he wasn't on my radar.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All I know about him is he's 6ft 6, 313 and played opposite Scheriff at Iowa!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He has an ACL tear, has been injured all the time, he didn't start until last year, and he couldn't beat out Scherff for the left tackle spot.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Started 13 gms at RT last year, started 3 gms at G in 2012; has good technique, needs strength in both upper/lower body. At the combine he ran 5.31, did 17 bench reps (upped that to 23 at his pro day), can't re his 3 cone time, I think it was 7.84----didn't get to see his positional workout. Another player to toss into the oline battles.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What's funny is all the snaps I watched on Scherff I basically ignored Donnal. But he's not bad man. Went back and watched a few of his games the dude is solid in pass pro. Kind of an opposite with Havenstein who is a better run blocker by far but not as sound in pass pro.

This is another Coach Boudreau pick. He likes the tall guys with length and prefers to move the ones that don't work out to OG so we'll see how this plays out. Not a bad pick IMO.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yes, he's a power scheme guy from a big time program, who churns out NFL offensive lineman. In a few years, he will be one of your favorite Ram players. He play with reckless abandon, and with one goal.....taking out whoever is close to him, and after he gets that accomplished, he'll take out the next closest guy. He's a value pick, and will need a year to get stronger, but he is a tall beast, who plays with good leverage and power. I was hoping he'd be a Ram, and he is.

He's in the mold of the typical guys that the GB Packers draft, develop, and then start. Smart, more athletic, than he gets credit for, and knows how the game should be played. He will extend a play with his effort, knowledge of angles, and leverage.

Just found this:

Donnal also fits what the Rams were looking for in their linemen. After being asked to describe himself, he said, "I view myself as a blue-collar grinder. I'm a guy that's going to come out and work my ass off every day to be the best that I can possibly be. I thoroughly enjoy juts playing football, being an offensive lineman and moving the guy from point A to point B against his will. Protecting the quarterback and mauling inside. There's nothing better." As Fisher said of the draft haul, "It's been a long time coming, particularly because of the needs. After Todd, our focus went to the big guys. All of them finish; that's the thing we really like. They're downfield, they're pushing people over piles, they're aggressive and they're finishing. As Les (general manager Les Snead) said about Cody, 'If you're somewhere in the vicinity, he's gonna hit you.' There's some contact involved, and that's the mindset that we need to carry forward. But it's also not something that we have to teach; it's the way they play right now." When it was suggested that the Rams made as many choices as they did on the line hoping that some work out, Fisher took exception to that notion. "We didn't throw darts now," he said. "We think these guys can play.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106900&draftyear=2015&genpos=OT

More:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ft-2015-scouting-report-grade-for-rams-rookie

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My opinion of Donnal from a couple months ago:
Andrew Donnal OT Iowa - I know a lot of people like him but I don't see it. He has good technique and gives a lot of effort but he just doesn't have much in the physical talent department. He's an underpowered run blocker with a small lower body and his feet look heavy to me in pass pro. His punch timing and hand placement are good but his punch doesn't have much power and he doesn't have the lower body strength to anchor well. I think his lack of strength is really going to cap his upside at the next level. Just don't see starter tools.

also comes from a power scheme right?

Nope. Iowa runs a ZBS.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As much as I enjoy trying to figure prospects out, I have to let this one up to the Rams brass. I don't know if I have seen this guy play at all. I was wondering if they think he could be a Center 1 day.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
When the Rams drafted him I immediately went on draft breakdown and viewed some of Scherff's games and kept my eye on #78. I wasn't impressed at all. I think he's a guy that we won't be seeing on the field at all for the first few seasons. Could have a similar path as rams projected starting Center Barrett Jones. Is going to be a guard at the next level, doesn't have the feet to stick at Tackle.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like a lot of these linemen drafted this year, Donnal is seriously lacking what G-Rob has, power & athleticism....I get the feeling he needs to get in NFL shape to compete on Sundays at this level....