What's the problem with Gurley?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
In regard to Todd's low rushing numbers, what do you think is the reason?
Something physically or mentally wrong with him currently?
No holes opened up by the O-line?

I'm leaning towards no holes by the O-line, he's getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage a LOT!

What's your thoughts?

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's just not strong enough to run through a brick wall. Hopefully he starts getting some holes to run through.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
From what I have seen its a combination of things:

1 - 8 to 9 man front.....defenses are daring the Rams to throw it for a win.
2 - Offensive line is playing average. No thunder.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There have definitely not been many holes to run through. I believe part of the issue is the blocking, part of it is scheme - though we have been working to correct that by actually throwing the ball downfield instead of to the line.

I also feel like the lack of holes may be getting to Gurley, and disrupting his patience a bit. Instead of giving things a second to develop (which I understand, because all of the people in the backfield), he is running straight into the line when a narrow window pops open a second later..

I think once any one of these things is addressed, things will start to look better. I'm not sold on it happening against Buffalo though, as they still have a stout line.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The defenses are stacking the box bigger than shit. Almost daring the offense to pass instead of run. No RB or O-line can consistently beat a defense when they are selling out on stopping the run by trying to run the ball through them.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Opposing defences are marking him like flies, he just needs a touch of luck to beat that first line of defence and it's six points baby... its just having to face such a big wall of D isn't that easy. BUT it is loosening up downfield, we've seen some big passes by Keenum - it all helps ;)

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
The defenses are stacking the box bigger than crap. Almost daring the offense to pass instead of run. No RB or O-line can consistently beat a defense when they are selling out on stopping the run by trying to run the ball through them.

Nailed it Selassie! It's not rocket science when there are more defenders in the box than blockers, defenders win. No o-line is going to give Gurley holes when defenses are that stacked. Play Action passes can be really effective when defenses are really crowding the line.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I don't think there is much we need to change honestly. If teams keep stacking the box and keying on Gurley than he is doing his job. They are making Keenum beat them, and it's clear he can, so I'm cool with doing just that. Some more passes to Gurley would be nice though.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Does anyone have the all 22 from the past few games? I'd like to see just what kind of wall he's been running into.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I see very few to no holes or creases being opened by the O-line. Really simple, plus the loaded boxes.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
The guy in fantasy league with Gurley just offered me a trade for him. While the homer in me wants to jump all over it, he wants Gordon from San Diego who has been pretty dang good fantasy wise. Would you guys do it?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here's the deal, the Rams have to come out and throw the ball like 12 plays in a row in an up tempo style, that will stop the defenses. The announcers stated that defenses are willing to give up that slant play because they know the Rams will go right back to the run, well, don't run. Throw it until they drop off then run it right down their throat!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The guy in fantasy league with Gurley just offered me a trade for him. While the homer in me wants to jump all over it, he wants Gordon from San Diego who has been pretty dang good fantasy wise. Would you guys do it?

Unless he adds a little more sugar I would not make that deal.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Does anyone have the all 22 from the past few games? I'd like to see just what kind of wall he's been running into.

I do. It's play design. There are many plays where you see good execution of the blocking scheme but still no room to run.

There is very little misdirection and we aren't fooling anyone with anything. It's not as simple as opening it up with the passing game because it isn't the safeties down in the box making the plays - it's an unaccounted for lineman or linebacker who has no trouble at all reading exactly where the play is going.

It's as if they know the play calls. It's just not a very exotic offense at all in terms of scheme.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I do. It's play design. There are many plays where you see good execution of the blocking scheme but still no room to run.

There is very little misdirection and we aren't fooling anyone with anything. It's not as simple as opening it up with the passing game because it isn't the safeties down in the box making the plays - it's an unaccounted for lineman or linebacker who has no trouble at all reading exactly where the play is going.

It's as if they know the play calls. It's just not a very exotic offense at all in terms of scheme.
So it really has nothing to do with the ability of Gurley?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I would like to see them get Tavon more involved in the running game in the same manner they did last year. Gurley and Tavon played off each other very well. And another wrinkle they started showing this past week - get Gurley the ball through the air. Sooner or later he'll take one to the house, and when that happens nobody will care how he ended up with the ball in the first place.

But the other thing is that what is happening now won't last forever. Every team we've faced as loaded up to stop Gurley and dared us to beat them through the air. While the stat lines aren't spectacular, the last two weeks the Rams have done just that - their offense has beaten the opposing defense through the air. And the week before, they were able to move the ball well and convert a few third downs to keep drives going - through the air. And doing that against the Cards and Seahawks means the Rams have done it against two pretty good defenses. At some point, teams will adjust to stop that, and once that happens Gurley won't be facing 8 and 9 man fronts as much.