Whats the chance we see different personnel groups? 21?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Wondering with Kupp out and the subtle up tick in snaps for Everett before Kupp went down. Will this be the game McVay unleashes some form of a differ personnel package to mess w/ KC?

I for one been waiting to see if were able to use the 21 formation for a good chuck of a game plan in a game(s).

Would love to see some of the late 80's early 90's Gibbs Skins 21 playbook in horns, where we can run or pass out of said formation!

Thoughts?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Wondering with Kupp out and the subtle up tick in snaps for Everett before Kupp went down. Will this be the game McVay unleashes some form of a differ personnel package to mess w/ KC?

I for one been waiting to see if were able to use the 21 formation for a good chuck of a game plan in a game(s).

Would love to see some of the late 80's early 90's Gibbs Skins 21 playbook in horns, where we can run or pass out of said formation!

Thoughts?

Running 11 personnel almost exclusively has worked wonders all year and there doesn’t seem much reason to change from that, especially considering the continued success the last time Kupp was out.

Now with that said Everett has looked better as of late so maybe they use him more but if they do I think it’ll be more so as a wr rather than te and use him as a slot wr to keep woods and cooks outside. So I guess technically that would be 12 personnel but for all intent and purposes it would still be ran like 11 personnel

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Running 11 personnel almost exclusively has worked wonders all year and there doesn’t seem much reason to change from that, especially considering the continued success the last time Kupp was out.

Now with that said Everett has looked better as of late so maybe they use him more but if they do I think it’ll be more so as a wr rather than te and use him as a slot wr to keep woods and cooks outside. So I guess technically that would be 12 personnel but for all intent and purposes it would still be ran like 11 personnel

I've been waiting for McVay to decide its time to fuck with DCs minds and use some different personnel packages. As you stated he can run the same plays from the same formations, but DCs will have to account for the personnel. If they try to stick with nickel or dime D, run Gurley down their throat. If the run base D isolate Everett, Gurley or a WR on a LB. It will make the O even harder to defend and the more the D has to think and react the better the Os chances at success.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
We will miss Cooper Kupp no doubt. He's one of my favorite players and just knows how to play the game.

However I feel like with him being out our offense may just become even more dynamic.

Reynolds is no slouch and he has played well when given the opportunity.

Higbee has been awesome this year as the unpraised man exceeding in blocking.

Everett has also shown some sticky hands as of late.

Kupp is absolutely irreplaceable but I feel like it's next man up and we are ready to embrace that opportunity.

H.Birdman

UDFA
Name
Harvey
Yep. It's time to bust out a secret weapon. I'm predicting 10 catches and 3 touchdowns for Everett. Dude has major after-the-catch explosiveness. This is the perfect game to push him into a starring role.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I've been waiting for McVay to decide its time to freak with DCs minds and use some different personnel packages. As you stated he can run the same plays from the same formations, but DCs will have to account for the personnel. If they try to stick with nickel or dime D, run Gurley down their throat. If the run base D isolate Everett, Gurley or a WR on a LB. It will make the O even harder to defend and the more the D has to think and react the better the Os chances at success.

I get what you're saying with mismatches size wise, but personally I've always been a fan of running most of your offense out of same personnel and McVay has only furthered my belief in that. The way he has the offense completely control the tempo of the game is outstanding. By not subbing, and therefore having to wait for the defense to sub also, the Rams can randomly miss up the tempo whenever they want, throwing off the defense completely. On top of that, you are tipping your hand at all by using different personnel. DCs cant break down film and prepare his team for certain looks/plays based on the personnel/formation because almost the whole playbook is available running the whole offense out of the same personnel.

Thats the main reason why I think if Everett does get more snaps itll be as a slot wr rather than a traditional inline TE

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can't run 21 personnel. We don't have a FB. We could run a lot of 12 personnel, though.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It makes me wonder why it’s taken this long for an NFL coach to do what McVay does. Run the same formation over and over just different plays. There’s almost no way to stop it since you have no idea what’s coming. People say he hasn’t created a new offense but I think that’s exactly what he’s doing.

Anyway, I think we keep running the 11 personnel. Reynolds fit in just fine against the Packers. He runs great routes too. He could be a big part of our game plan especially in the playoffs on some deep routes.

fearsomefour

Legend
One of Kupps value is he is a determined blocker.
Maybe a little more but I wouldn't expect any big changes.
The 11 group seems to really open the passing game and forces teams to play at least a nickel, which helps the run game as welll.
From what I have seen the 3 WR, 1 TE 1 RB is one of the most popular sets around the league.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-tight-ends-20181117-story.html

Rams tight ends are two more weapons Chiefs have to be prepared for
By GARY KLEIN

la-1542475348-w8b8zvrlip-snap-image

Rams tight end Tyler Higbee (89) celebrates his touchdown catch with tight end Gerald Everett (81) in a game against the Seattle Seahawks on Nov. 11. (Alex Gallardo / Associated Press)

The Rams’ high-powered offense featured an array of weapons through the season’s first nine weeks.

Last Sunday, coach Sean McVay and quarterback Jared Goff gave the Kansas City Chiefs another one to consider.

Actually, two.

Goff tossed touchdown passes to tight ends Gerald Everett and Tyler Higbee in a victory over the Seattle Seahawks, the first time the two tight ends scored touchdowns in the same game.

“We just wanted to be a little bit more balanced in that area and continue to try to implement them in some of the stuff we're doing,” Goff said. “They stepped up big.”

The tight ends’ prominence against the Seahawks forces the Chiefs to spend time game-planning for playmakers other than running back Todd Gurley and receivers Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods and Josh Reynolds on Monday night at the Coliseum.

“You want to make sure that people are honoring all five [eligible receivers],” McVay said this week when asked about his increased use of tight ends. “Most importantly, it's about getting those guys involved, them capitalizing on their opportunities that they're deserving of.”

During his time as the Washington Redskins’ offensive coordinator, McVay was noted for the way he utilized tight ends Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis. But tight ends have had a much lower pass-catching profile with the Rams.

Last season, on a team that led the NFL in scoring, tight ends accounted for only 49 of the team’s 320 receptions, and only three of 28 passing touchdowns.

The outlook for tight ends this season was clouded at the end of the preseason.

Higbee was penciled in as a starter, but Everett sat out nearly all of training camp because of a shoulder injury, and third-year pro Temarrick Hemingway struggled to catch passes and was ultimately cut.

Higbee, Everett and Johnny Mundt contributed through the first half of the season but not anywhere near the level of Gurley or the receivers.

That began to change in a Week 9 loss at New Orleans, when Everett caught three passes for 48 yards, along with a two-point conversion. Higbee caught two passes for 40 yards.

It was a coming out of sorts for Everett, the 2017 second-round pick from South Alabama.

Everett struggled at times last season in his transition from college to the demands of playing tight end in the NFL. His development as a catch-and-run threat was further stunted after he suffered the shoulder injury early during training camp that prevented him from practicing or participating in preseason games.

McVay’s decision to put the ball in Everett’s hands for a critical two-point attempt against the Saints resonated.

“That’s what you want as a person, as an athlete — as anybody — you want confidence from your peers,” said Everett, who has 15 catches for 161 yards. “Just glad to see they trust me.

“I knew that they did, but now it’s time to show that I’m ready and can handle it. And I’m glad I was able to be there for my team.”

The following week, with the Seahawks holding an early lead, Goff looked to Everett again.

He caught a game-tying 10-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter and also had a key third-down catch that helped set up Higbee’s go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Higbee, a 2016 fourth-round draft pick, made a difficult catch for the 10-yard touchdown.

“That’s why I’ve got Jared Goff as my quarterback,” said Higbee, who has 11 receptions for 135 yards. “That was pretty much one of the few places he could have put it.

“Just my turn to make a play.”

Everett and Higbee figure to get more opportunities against the Chiefs, who feature tight end Travis Kelce, a three-time Pro Bowl pick who has 57 receptions for 787 yards and six touchdowns.

Kelce caught at least 67 passes in each of the previous four seasons.

The Rams tight ends are not expecting a workload that heavy, but they will be ready when called upon.

“Just trying to be reliable,” Higbee said, “and when you get a chance to make a play — make a play.”

Ram65

Legend

With Everett and Higbee on the field at the same time it does give the Rams a lot of options. Last year they actually lined Everett up on the outside at times. That allows the Rams to have Woods or Cooks go out from the slot where it's easier to get off the line. Reynolds is not near the blocker that Kupp is as he has hurt the run game some. Everett should give better results blocking on run plays. KC's pass rush can come at you many ways so having the option to keep Everett in helping is also a big plus. Moving Everett around is how I envisioned McVay to use him when he was drafted as he is close to a hybrid TE/WR.

I'm not discounting Reynolds who has made the catches and run good routes against zone defenses. I can see McVay going more with Reynolds and keep the offense the same. He has the option to bring in Everett with Higbee just to change things up from what the Chiefs have seen on tape. McVay has said that you have to change things so as to not be too predictable. We will see some things we haven't seen before.

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It makes me wonder why it’s taken this long for an NFL coach to do what McVay does. Run the same formation over and over just different plays. There’s almost no way to stop it since you have no idea what’s coming. People say he hasn’t created a new offense but I think that’s exactly what he’s doing.

Anyway, I think we keep running the 11 personnel. Reynolds fit in just fine against the Packers. He runs great routes too. He could be a big part of our game plan especially in the playoffs on some deep routes.

Can you imagine even one NFL team's coaching staff not being glued to Ram's O film every week? Hopefully McVay will continually innovate.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
With Kupp out for the rest of the season, Pharoah Cooper has an excellent opportunity to show he belongs as a slot WR. He's the next man up to replace Kupp, being almost exclusively a return man. He's also perfect for the jet sweep. He showed he had good hands and can get open in TC. He has no better chance than now.