What's Everyone's Current Thoughts On Fisher And Snead?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
It's going into the fourth year of the rebuild since Fisher and Snead took over as the figureheads of the Rams. I am curious to know how the most loyal and most knowledgeable Rams fans on the internet feel about the duo and the teams current status. (I'm actually more curious about thoughts on Fisher specifically, but it wouldn't make sense to keep Snead out of the equation.)

-Is he what you expected when the Rams hired him?
-Do you think he's the long term answer? (Fisher)
-Thoughts on his coaching style? Draft choices, etc.

I am personally satisfied with the combo. This is not an attempt for me to start a bashing thread against Fisher. When we got coach Fish I didn't know a lot about him. However, I was very pleased with the way he handled himself and his overall professionalism and personnel choices.. (Not that the two previous coaches set the bar very high.) The biggest thing that has begun to bother me as I watch the games is the seemingly complete lack of ability to change the game plan at halftime.

As of now it feels like we are going to be stuck in the same situation we were in t 2014. Bradford's health is a enormous question mark and I think the division is too tough for a realistic playoff contention without him.

I feel the RG3 trade alone buys them another year or two to get this thing back on track, but after that I just don't know anymore. Thoughts?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I like Snead, I think he's a good talent evaluator.

I think Fisher is a great coach for laying a solid foundation, and getting the team into the playoffs. However I also feel he's a bit of a "bridge" coach, and another coach capable of getting the most of the players will be needed to win championships. The problem is, its very hard to get the right guy for that, and if you pick wrong it sets you back years.

jjab360

Legend
I'm content with the job they're doing. Not ecstatic, because the end result three years in a row is sobering, but the progress and what we've been able to do with an absentee QB is undeniable.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Snead's draft philosophy and Fisher's coaching style goes well together. They rely on BPA/upside players when molding the roster, much better than what we had during Frontiere's shitty management.

I'm content with the job they're doing. Not ecstatic, because the end result three years in a row is sobering, but the progress and what we've been able to do with an absentee QB is undeniable.

At some point though, Fisher's going to avoid the excuses of lack of QB. Although I would be fine with Fisher him another chance in 2016 if the team outside of an injured QB position doesn't play like shit.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried to come up with a small list of pro and cons for Fisher:

Pros
Players seem to like him
Good talent evaluator
Plays young guys
Not afraid to change his mind

Cons
Seems like a gadget coach at times
Takes too much risk with character issue players
Way too many penalties from team (big gripe)
Undisciplined team (big gripe)

IDK. I give him credit for loading this team with talent. But, I really want to see those penalties disappear and there's no excuse for slow starts. I want the man to succeed I just have my heart set on nothing else but the playoffs and I guess I'm getting impatient.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher is what he is. Solid coach. Not the best in the NFL but he brings stability, leadership, and there's no doubting that he's a competent coach that can surround himself with a good staff. Something we've been lacking for years.

I really like Snead. Think he's a good talent evaluator and I like his aggressiveness. But that might just be because I tend to rank players similarly to them and have the same sort of mindset as he does when it comes to the draft. :LOL:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm happy with them.

hooray.gif

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm OK with where they've taken the team given the troubles with Sam's health...Having said that, my confidence for a return to a playoff team is waning at a fairly brisk pace...This is the year for me...Do it or move on in my mind...It will be time for some serious change if they don't win at least 9 this year...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm more impressed with Snead than Fisher, although I admit I don't know how much of draft day is Fisher or Snead. I was very on board with Fisher's hiring, and I think he's done a decent job. But we've lost several games we should have won (even with backup QBs) due to penalties and awful game discipline. That needs to stop. Also, I have to try really hard not to criticize the tepid offenses we've fielded due to QB issues. Let's hope the new OC and QB coach straighten that out. So I guess overall I support them, but agree that 9 wins is needed next year at least.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Snead: he has built a scouting staff that works well together and meshes with the coaching staff. His late round finds and UFAs indicate the staff is deep and well trusted. My only gripe is the track record on Pro Free Agents. Wells, Joseph, Carrington, Finnegan, Steve Smith, Dunbar, and Jake Long were all underwhelming although largely due to injury. On the plus side, Hayes, Cook, Hill, Britt, and Langford have provided solid if unspectacular returns. Clearly, Snead's strength is the draft.

Fisher: I appreciate the stability and toughness he brings to the club. He doesn't overreact and sticks to his philosophy (sometimes a tad too long). The organization functions well together (a rarity since Vermeil). His patience seems on the verge of paying off. He has established a nice young core/foundation of talent that I've yet see give up on a season though the record looks otherwise.
My gripe with him is a lack of offensive innovation. He sticks with tried and true formulas. To be fair, his one foray into a wide open attack was rightly reigned in the 2013 season and the ground/play action offensive identity was derailed by the loss of Bradford. But even so, his OC was never the most creative guy in the building. But I will withhold final judgment on this matter if I ever see a healthy OLine and Bradford.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm in wait and see mode. If they don't do something to fix the Oline this pre-season I doubt that I'll even watch them this year, as I know where it will end up again.

FrankenRam

Starter
Snead: he has built a scouting staff that works well together and meshes with the coaching staff. His late round finds and UFAs indicate the staff is deep and well trusted. My only gripe is the track record on Pro Free Agents. Wells, Joseph, Carrington, Finnegan, Steve Smith, Dunbar, and Jake Long were all underwhelming although largely due to injury. On the plus side, Hayes, Cook, Hill, Britt, and Langford have provided solid if unspectacular returns. Clearly, Snead's strength is the draft.

Fisher: I appreciate the stability and toughness he brings to the club. He doesn't overreact and sticks to his philosophy (sometimes a tad too long). The organization functions well together (a rarity since Vermeil). His patience seems on the verge of paying off. He has established a nice young core/foundation of talent that I've yet see give up on a season though the record looks otherwise.
My gripe with him is a lack of offensive innovation. He sticks with tried and true formulas. To be fair, his one foray into a wide open attack was rightly reigned in the 2013 season and the ground/play action offensive identity was derailed by the loss of Bradford. But even so, his OC was never the most creative guy in the building. But I will withhold final judgment on this matter if I ever see a healthy OLine and Bradford.

IMO, you've stated it well. Overall, I think a lot of the moves they've made seemed like good ones at the time. But they've been rather unlucky in having too many turn out bad...largely due to injury.

The one thing I would add is what several others have said about team penalties. I.e., way too many.....and too often they seem to come at costly times. Given the too frequent odd way the refs seem to be calling things these days, a team can't afford to keep shooting themselves in the foot with dumb penalties. And the Rams seem to have a knack for that. Some of that I'm sure is attributable to team youth, 'but'.....

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
I'm happy. If Sam didn't get injured, we woulda had a much better season. He was on fire in preseason. Can't predict or guard against freak stuff like that. The D is awesome. Just need to play tighter coverage at the line cuz teams are taking two step drops and unloading before the rush can get to them. I pray Cignetti (sp?) can use Tayvon like he should be used, not run up the middle into 300 ponders.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm happy so far. This team was a complete mess when they showed up. People talk about quick turnarounds on other teams but the Rams were really bad in comparison to most so that isn't fair.

Now if you ask this question again 3 or 4 weeks into the 2015 season when the team is playing like its still pre-season then my answer might be different (in respect of Fisher anyway).

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I have to like what they've done so far, in light of the circumstances.

The only thing I worry about on defense now is our depth at middle linebacker. When Bradford went down, my high hopes were devastated, but when Laurinaitis was injured I honest started to feel complete despair.

If I was complaining about something, I'd say that the offensive line has been our biggest weakness. But I do understand that they've tried to improve their through free agency. I just hope they can get the OL shored up before they're forced to draft another quarterback, which could be as soon as next season.

All that said, I like that they've put themselves in position to draft the best player available.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Considering what they started with in talent we've come a long way. I know W/L's doesn't reflect it as much but the QB situation has really put a delay in progress, IMO.

I'm not happy with the lack of discipline we've had thus far. I would think a Fisher lead team would be better than we have been.

But overall at least we have a shot at winning every game. 4 years ago I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I think they've done a good job of putting the building blocks in place and have brought a sense of stability to the franchise (other than what Stan is doing!) - but injuries have slowed / derailed a lot of the plans. I think they have most of the players in place to be a playoff team. But they must fix the offensive line and stay healthy at QB. If not, there will be more of the same going forward (mediocre at best).

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally think both are doing a very good job. We have way more talent on the roster than we have had in recent years, and I don't see coaching as the reason we aren't a playoff/Superbowl team. If you look at the teams that are successful over the long haul, the one thing they have is stability (even through the bad times). Having a consistent scheme, and being able to draft the right players into that scheme for many consecutive years is important if you want to be a consistently good team. It is almost impossible to be a consistently good team when you change coaching staffs every 3-4 years. You might have a good stretch here or there, but the windows are short.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Pretty happy with both. And while you can throw darts at anybody, the lack of discipline is frustrating as hell, I hope it's due in large part to the youth of the team. "Attitude" penalties don't bother me too much, because he did change it for the better.