What would you give up for Mettenberger?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wisenhunt claims that Marcus Mariota will be the starting QB for the Titans, from Day 1.

So that could mean, for the right offer that Mettenberger could be available in a trade. I think he was drafted in the 6th round but I doubt they would be willing to trade him for that.

Do you like him better than Petty/Grayson and if so how high do you offer for him?

I would prefer Mettenberger to any other QB available in the draft right now and I would see if they would take Zac Stacy and a fourth, but I doubt that gets it done. Tre Mason straight up? I hate to go with a 3rd rounder.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I would be very happy with that deal. Do you prefer that to drafting a QB?

The only two QBs I'd draft in this class (since Marshall changed positions) have already been selected.

Quite frankly, I really have no interest in Mettenberger at all. While they probably won't move him, the guy I would be calling about is Glennon in Tampa.

V3

Hall of Fame
I would be very happy with that deal. Do you prefer that to drafting a QB?
I do. Too many holes to be wasting picks on a QB in this draft that has virtually zero chance of being a good starter for us in the future.

Stel

Starter
I suggested last night trading Zac Stacy for him. Stacy goes back to Nashville. I said it tongue in cheek, but when I looked at Tennessee's roster, it actually makes sense. Tennessee only has one back with more career yards than Stacy, Shonn Greene, who has done little for Tennessee since they got him. Hasn't reached 400 yards since 2012 with NYJets. Sankey didn't wow anyone in his first season, less than 600 yards at 3.7 yards per carry. Tennessee will likely want a more experienced back up QB (Whitehurst?) so Mettenberger may be odd man out.

Stacy is unlikely to get many opportunities in St. Louis, Mettenberger is unlikely to get many opportunities in Nashville. Each team gets something more than they have for a player who is unlikely to contribute.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Didn't like Mettenberger when he was coming out and still don't. I would take every QB on our roster over Mettenberger to be honest. Not interested, hope the Rams are not either.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Didn't like Mettenberger when he was coming out and still don't. I would take every QB on our roster over Mettenberger to be honest. Not interested, hope the Rams are not either.

I didn't like Mettenberger coming out either but he did well enough last season to make the Titans consider trading the Mariota pick. I don't think he is a franchise guy but he could be better than Austin Davis IMO.

Stel

Starter
I didn't like Mettenberger coming out either but he did well enough last season to make the Titans consider trading the Mariota pick. I don't think he is a franchise guy but he could be better than Austin Davis IMO.

I wasn't a big fan either, but I remember some interesting statistical metric being posted back then about accuracy, deep ball, etc., things that don't show up in box scores. Might fit in as a back up in our offense better than the ones we have.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm guessing that the team uses a 6th or 7th round choice on Shane Carden. I remember reading something about Weinke working with him prior to getting the Rams QB coach gig.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm guessing that the team uses a 6th or 7th round choice on Shane Carden. I remember reading something about Weinke working with him prior to getting the Rams QB coach gig.

I could go for a day 3 QB like Carden - especially if Weinke is a believer.

I'm not really feeling a day 2 QB.

I really like the idea of getting a Mettenberger or a (ducking) Manziel if the price is right.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wasn't a big fan either, but I remember some interesting statistical metric being posted back then about accuracy, deep ball, etc., things that don't show up in box scores. Might fit in as a back up in our offense better than the ones we have.

I don't like his lack of mobility but he has the arm to go deep which works with what the Rams are trying to do, plus he is not afraid to make a play when he has to.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I hope you are right. Not because I think Carden is great but because I don't think any remaining QB is worth a better pick than a 6th rounder.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Wouldn't surprise me. My pet project of choice is Bridge (laser, rocket arm) or Fajardo, but I could see why they'd want Carden.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I wouldn't trade him if I were the Titans.
He already knows their system. He's playing for peanuts.
It would cost them MUCH more to replace him with a veteran backup.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think Mettenburger is better than a lot of developmental guys in the draft, I'd see how today went and look at what QBs were left after today and then consider sending a day 3 pick to them for him. I'd throw in Stacy too to sweeten the deal.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

Really, you must really like those passes that Davis throws to the other team. (tongue in cheek)

3 or 4 times Davis had a receiver approx 15 yards down field, near the sideline, with a defender in between and did not have the skill to get the ball over the defender and to the the Ram receiver. Your team team is not going very far with performances like that.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Really, you must really like those passes that Davis throws to the other team. (tongue in cheek)

3 or 4 times Davis had a receiver approx 15 yards down field, near the sideline, with a defender in between and did not have the skill to get the ball over the defender and to the the Ram receiver. Your team team is not going very far with performances like that.

Mettenberger threw a pick a game last year. IMO Mettenberger is not better than Davis. Clearly Tennessee did not have much success with him as they went 0-7 and against a pretty soft schedule. At least Davis won some games. So to your point your team will likely go further with Davis than Mettenberger.

Mettenberger has some talent but I do question what is between the ears and his coachability. I didn't like him coming out. Has his delivery quickened, has his ball placement improved? He is a QB that does not anticipate. He benefited from a great supporting cast in college.

I haven't even mentioned the ACL issue he had or his sexual assault charges at Georgia that he pleaded guilty to.

Davis seems like a player who would run through a wall for his coach, Mettenberger seems like a player who would run through a wall because he didn't realize is was a wall.

So yes, I would rather keep and develop Davis then invest in Mettenberger.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't surprise me. My pet project of choice is Bridge (laser, rocket arm) or Fajardo, but I could see why they'd want Carden.

Nice Zig, Fajardo is the guy I would take in the 7th or so as a developmental guy. He is my poor man's Jimmy G lol.