What the media misses

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Every week in the NFL, the narrative changes because the knee-jerk media has a short memory and even shorter understanding of the game of football. It’s too easy to list examples over the years so I will push through to the latest iteration and how they are clueless to the NFC Championship game this week.

Because the Rams plowed the Cowboys, they are suddenly a running team and Goff’s passing is the weakness. Since Brees wasn’t sacked by the Rams earlier this year, the Saint’s O Line is invulnerable and the Rams will struggle to disrupt the passing game. Since Thomas scorched Peters last time, he’s the key to victory. Since Zeke was held in check last week, the Rams will employ a similar strategy to shut down Kamara and Ingram. The maturity of Brees and Payton will trump the inexperienced Goff and McVay. Blah, blah, blah....

The truth is, Asshole Face will be matching wits with Wade Phillips. So...is experience really the deciding factor? If this were a chess match, would you choose Dennis Allen over Sean McVay by his years of experience? Why is it that out of 100 breakdowns of “keys to the game”, maybe a handful ever mention the best player on the field...Aaron Donald?

I said it last week and it bears repeating, Wade gave his players room to improvise and grow from their mistakes all year. It wasn’t until certain individuals had their asses handed to them on the field that he truly got their attention. The younger players have grown and the vets have learned to trust the system and focus on technique and discipline. The true nature of this talented defense is about to be unleashed.

On offense, the Bears, Eagles, and Cowboys aligned their defenses to take away the play action game first and foremost. Once Kromer broke down how to attack that strategy in the run game, and Sean went all in...the game plans became more patient and willing to grind instead of flash. Guess what happens next....

The Saints will load up to stop the run while limiting the explosives and Goff will patiently kill them with short and intermediate passes. We fans will want deep passing and running like the Cowboys game but both will be unwise because the Saints will be prepared for that. Once Allen adjusts to this, the long runs and deep passes will ensue. Hide and watch.

The big surprise that’s coming is something nobody expects from Wade Phillips this week. Rather than stick to his core principles, Wade will send the house frequently on first down. It will be a shock and awe ploy and once the Rams disrupt Drew’s timing, they will get back to basics and let the Saints make mistakes.

These are the things that will happen that the media won’t predict.

Rams 32 Saints 17

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Every week in the NFL, the narrative changes because the knee-jerk media has a short memory and even shorter understanding of the game of football. It’s too easy to list examples over the years so I will push through to the latest iteration and how they are clueless to the NFC Championship game this week.

Because the Rams plowed the Cowboys, they are suddenly a running team and Goff’s passing is the weakness. Since Brees wasn’t sacked by the Rams earlier this year, the Saint’s O Line is invulnerable and the Rams will struggle to disrupt the passing game. Since Thomas scorched Peters last time, he’s the key to victory. Since Zeke was held in check last week, the Rams will employ a similar strategy to shut down Kamara and Ingram. The maturity of Brees and Payton will trump the inexperienced Goff and McVay. Blah, blah, blah....

The truth is, Asshole Face will be matching wits with Wade Phillips. So...is experience really the deciding factor? If this were a chess match, would you choose Dennis Allen over Sean McVay by his years of experience? Why is it that out of 100 breakdowns of “keys to the game”, maybe a handful ever mention the best player on the field...Aaron Donald?

I said it last week and it bears repeating, Wade gave his players room to improvise and grow from their mistakes all year. It wasn’t until certain individuals had their asses handed to them on the field that he truly got their attention. The younger players have grown and the vets have learned to trust the system and focus on technique and discipline. The true nature of this talented defense is about to be unleashed
The big surprise that’s coming is something nobody expects from Wade Phillips this week. Rather than stick to his core principles, Wade will send the house frequently on first down. It will be a shock and awe ploy and once the Rams disrupt Drew’s timing, they will get back to basics and let the Saints make mistakes.

These are the things that will happen that the media won’t predict.

Rams 32 Saints 17

You are making really great points which are very close to my own thinking, especially with respect to overall strategy and Phillips and the D. First and maybe most important is that we have great strategists on both sides of the ball.

McVay just earned his playoffs stripes big time by trusting Kromer and running the ball down the Cowboys' throats. Opponents now can't predict what our O will do. New Orleans will have to be prepared to stop the run, but will do so at their own peril. Contrary to the talking heads, Goff is not in a slump and has not forgotten how to throw the ball. And we will run it down the Saints' throats too.

You are exactly right about Phillips and the D. Phillips is a big time playoff strategist, and yes he has brought the D along to prepare for just these games now. The media may have forgotten what the Broncos did under Phillips in their Super Bowl run, but some of the rest of us haven't. Yes, Brees is great in the short and medium game, but I agree with you and expect Phillips to go after Brees in unexpected ways, early and often. Phillips will also have a plan for Thomas. Contrary to all the handwringing I expect the D to show up big time.

I also happen to think that the Rams are just better than New Orleans. New Orleans benefitted from an early bye week, peeked in mid season, and hasn't looked as good since. They have injuries on both lines. Right now, the Rams are much stronger and better on both lines. Better running game. (Why does Kromer get no credit from the talking heads for his world class coaching masterpiece against Dallas?). QB with a better arm. Yes, we miss Kupp but Goff will make plays downfield, much more so than against Dallas. Better kicking game-- Zuerlein was huge against the Cowboys. Most importantly, we have great coaches and a lot of great players on both sides of the ball, more so than the Saints, and they will show up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You certainly have to run CJ at Rankins replacement at DT to test him, and you can't quit running the ball in some form. Three and outs will kill us, with a one-dimensional passing game. We need to pass the ball, but only as an offshoot of the running the game, imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My confidence in this game comes from the way our OL is playing. This isn't a one game thing. It's a trend where they are being allowed to bully DLs and with CJ added I don't know who will be able to stop it. I'm serious. This running game might keep rolling all the way to the championship.

Saints would have been the team you'd expect to slow it too. But with their recent loss of Rankins on top of what looks like an epic "trench matchup" I think they are going to have their hands full.

Also, I'll admit that we might run all over them and still lose if Brees doesn't get pressured. So the defense really is the biggest factor in this game because I think our offense is going to move the ball and score. If our defense plays well we are going to win IMO.

RamWoodie

Legend
Always remember these folks are part of the build up for the game...so they're going to provide narritives.

Some things they say are true but overblown. Like Goff not playing well down the stretch..etc.

This game is anyone's guess as to how it will play out.

All I want is a Rams win!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good OP

I just believe strongly that the Rams D vs the Saints O is where this game will be won or lost. The Rams can and will move the ball easily and score some points on these guys. They've already done it...and did it in that loud and hostile environment. The only thing we've got to do on offense is take care of the football and do what we do. That is not an elite Saints defense...and neither is ours, but our defense has AD. They have no one that can take over a game defensively...not someone like Donald. So i'm not too concerned when we've got the ball.

On D the Rams will have to decide to take something away and it's a pick your poison with the Saints. The Kamara factor is huge IMO. I'm not sure we can cover him or stuff his ass in the short passing game. We don't have enough speed to track him.
Not really concerned with Ingram that much. Rams tend to handle the bigger backs quite well and our average LB's will find him in short yardage.

Brees and that quick, short/intermediate stuff is hard to defend. I think if they get greedy and try to pick on us deep again we'll be dialed in this time and get some INT's or sacks on Brees. I'd like it if they tried, but i'm skeptical.

I'm glad i don't have to come up with a defensive gameplan. Hope Brees has a shitty day, zone blitz and blanket Kamara. That's all i've got.

One more thing. It might be worth it to send an early message to cell phone boy when he comes across the middle. I'll take a 15 yarder in the 1st qtr. I don't think Thomas is as tough as he thinks he is.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good OP

I just believe strongly that the Rams D vs the Saints O is where this game will be won or lost. The Rams can and will move the ball easily and score some points on these guys. They've already done it...and did it in that loud and hostile environment. The only thing we've got to do on offense is take care of the football and do what we do. That is not an elite Saints defense...and neither is ours, but our defense has AD. They have no one that can take over a game defensively...not someone like Donald. So i'm not too concerned when we've got the ball.

On D the Rams will have to decide to take something away and it's a pick your poison with the Saints. The Kamara factor is huge IMO. I'm not sure we can cover him or stuff his ass in the short passing game. We don't have enough speed to track him.
Not really concerned with Ingram that much. Rams tend to handle the bigger backs quite well and our average LB's will find him in short yardage.

Brees and that quick, short/intermediate stuff is hard to defend. I think if they get greedy and try to pick on us deep again we'll be dialed in this time and get some INT's or sacks on Brees. I'd like it if they tried, but i'm skeptical.

I'm glad i don't have to come up with a defensive gameplan. Hope Brees has a crappy day, zone blitz and blanket Kamara. That's all i've got.

One more thing. It might be worth it to send an early message to cell phone boy when he comes across the middle. I'll take a 15 yarder in the 1st qtr. I don't think Thomas is as tough as he thinks he is.

I hear it hardly mentioned by us or anyone else, what effect Talib has had. It's not just that he's our #1 Corner, because it's more than that. Remember how our secondary was discombobulated vs the Saints with Peters leading the secondary? It was mentioned that Talib had been instrumental in getting guys lined up, and Peters gets to be what he is....a good ballhawking CB. It isn't just the guys on the Dline, it's Talib and the secondary covering WR's that extra half a second, allowing Donald and Suh and Brockers, and Fowler, to get to Brees...

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
This game right here is why we have Suh, Talib, and Peters on D. During the regular season, I think some of the players were going through the motions at times, especially Suh, and Peters and Talib were dealing injuries at alternating times of the year and we haven't had them both healthy much at all. But now is the time to turn it on and for the stars to shine. Suh dominated last game, and I expect him to continue stuffing the middle. Brockers showed up some last game too. Our defense is peaking at the right time.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
You certainly have to run CJ at Rankins replacement at DT to test him, and you can't quit running the ball in some form. Three and outs will kill us, with a one-dimensional passing game. We need to pass the ball, but only as an offshoot of the running the game, imo.

Nothing would please me more than to see the Rams running the ball for 7 yards a pop and scoring touchdowns while the Saints D linemen have their hands on their hips.

I'm sure the Saints will be trying to focus on our running game but Rankins is out and while he may have a decent back up, he was the starter for a reason and who comes in when the backup needs a blow?

Our O-line can win this game if they can dominate like they did against Dallas.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The truth is, Asshole Face will be matching wits with Wade Phillips. So...is experience really the deciding factor?

Fact of the matter is that this team has a unique advantage that is overlooked... Paytons past with Rams. Faulks RB coach at SD state?... Coaching tenure at Miami OH in which McVay attended? From Nor Cal. He is a local boy who has been around. For all we know Marcus Peters is homies with Payton, and if Payton had the chance he would of chosen him over Apple.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
They will continue to run, run, and run some more. This o-line's strength is run blocking. Not pass blocking. McVay learned that after the Bears game.

It doesn't matter that the Saints will be playing to stop the run.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest difference in this game ? we wont be spotting the saints 35 points in the first half

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They will continue to run, run, and run some more. This o-line's strength is run blocking. Not pass blocking. McVay learned that after the Bears game.

It doesn't matter that the Saints will be playing to stop the run.

The biggest difference between this game and the ones the Rams lost is that the OLine won’t be blocking Sheldon Rankins, Fletcher Cox, Akiem Hicks, or Khalil Mack. We won several games where Aaron Donald alone made the difference and in those games...those four players made the difference.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The biggest difference between this game and the ones the Rams lost is that the OLine won’t be blocking Sheldon Rankins, Fletcher Cox, Akiem Hicks, or Khalil Mack. We won several games where Aaron Donald alone made the difference and in those games...those four players made the difference.

a) Yes, You and I are the only ones emphatically state this;Great DTs kill the Rams....teams with good corners, not so much. Sully and Blythe don't have the sand in the bucket, and can't handle 340 lbers, or all pros--while Saffold can--mostly. Havenstein couldn't block Mack 1 on 1 (while Whit could). With Rankins out, that helps Sully and BLythe A LOT!

b) If Goff can play at B/B+ range, and we don't give up more than 20 by half time, we can win. Rams were down 35-14...that was 3 TDs we made up to tie it.

c) I expect a very close game.
d) I expect the NFL wants a Rams Chiefs matchup, and wouldn't be surprised if we get some calls....maybe they want Brees and Brady, but that is sooooooooo boring. Throwing 7-11 yard throws all game long is no longer a thrill for anyone, except that teams fans.
e) If Suh, Littleton, JJ and Peters play well, I expect that we win; not a high chance on that with Peters...so, we need AD to do some special stuff---which he didn't do last game. Peat has a broken hand. Remember when Strahan abused our RT, Ryan Tucker, in 2001 who had the broken hand.
f)
I rewatched the Saints game (4th time); Brees makes great ball placement; If we can help him be unsettlled, we have a great chance to win. With the Saints O line experiencing some 'pains' maybe we can do better than last game.