What McVay really wants: #4 seed or to rest players?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get when you say we're "trying" to lose it sounds ridiculous and doesn't fit McVay. We will play hard and seriously try to win the game, but he's lowering the probability we win by benching all our stars. Of course health plays a factor in the rest, but everyone is focused on the PHI/MIN division round and is not looking at the CAR/ATL first round match up. A large point to all this is how confident Wade Phillips is against Cam. That cannot be overstated, I mean the Broncos held Cam to ZERO touchdowns throwing/rushing in the SB.

Does anyone really want to see Julio against Trumaine......God knows I don't. And Trumaine has had a great year but I feel like Julio would literally eat his face. If we focus on shutting down the run versus CAR, their bad receivers wont be able to separate against our secondary in man coverage. We bottle Cam up in the pocket, let AD chase him around all day like hes Russel Wilson and let our offense go score 32 points.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Obviously the main focus is on rest and getting healthy for a playoff run.

And I’m in the minority here, but I believe Florio is correct in his assumption that McVay prefers the #4 seed. Understandably.

To me it’s not a close call— Vikes are rolling, Eagles are struggling. And the Number 3 seed guarantees that a WC win means playing the Vikes, whereas a WC win as 4 seed means (probably) playing the wounded Iggles.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'd like to think McVay has enough confidence in this team that he is not afraid of any team. He's resting the players he feels needs it probably. Im sure he'll pull more from Sundays game as the game goes on.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We will rest a ton of guys, but a few takeaways and some big plays on STs is all it could take to pull a win.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me it’s definitely about resting players and making sure they are healthy. This is a chance to have guys physically ready to play. I don’t care about the 3 seed or the 4th seed none of that matters if guys get hurt and we are one and done in the playoffs. This is about maximizing the health of the team so we can go out and compete for that Lombardi trophy nothing else matters

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
yeah, I think it's mostly the health of our players.

As one of the healthier teams, I'm CERTAIN that McVay and staff realize that a good part of our success has been the health and availability of our starters and playmakers.

There are teams that will have starters limping into the playoffs and pulling a Bobby Wagner. I admire him for gutting it out...and Earl Thomas was probably right that he wasn't enough and should have let the next man be up. I think there are likely a number of teams that are one or two injuries away from not really being playoff teams (not including starting QB which is pretty much game over for every team).

I think with how McVay is seeing all the different ways he can get Gurley going, he's not afraid of anyone. That said, I think he's more dialed into defeating Philly than Minny and our run game and defense translate well to cold/bad weather.

We remember Nick Foles. Now...some of that was the stink of Fisher's coaches, but Chip Kelly didn't dump him because he was super accurate.

I'm way nervous mostly because I'm already incredulous about our level of success and it's hard to trust that we won't come crashing back to earth. But the more I focus on McVay's competence, the more I like our chances as much as anyone's.

The ONLY thing that I feel could derail us is Minny playing at home if they make the Super Bowl. That team and their fans are seeing this season as a season of destiny and, honestly, it's hard to argue with that.
Minnesota is a team of destiny: to lose to the Rams.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I think McVay will go all out to win with the backups Sunday. We're going to have to face Minnesota someday and I'd much rather play them in the dome than play Philly in frigid conditions. We were in the Viking game until the fourth quarter when the wheels fell off. With the #3, we have a chance of hosting the NFC championship.

The more I think about this Niner game, the more I like our chances. We'll see how much of a factor the system plays in the success of Gurley and Goff. Using Reynolds, Cooper and Thomas as WR and Brown and Mannion in the backfield, I like our chances. We'll have guys who are out busting their asses to 1) not let the starters down and 2) making a name for themselves. Some of these guys know it's their only chance to start in an NFL game. They're going to leave it all on the field, in my opinion.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IF this is the case, what do you guys think?
Gotta be get guys as healthy as possible....resting guys like Gurley, Whit, Sully.

I'd still like Goff to continue to grow with our wr's.....reps still matter...SF has an interesting team. He should play...I get why he doesn't, but I wish he'd play.

Every team in the playoffs is dangerous....Cam, Drew, Nick, Matt, and yes....even Case....are playoff caliber QB's...THIS YEAR. At home, they will be even more dangerous.

I'd like to keep the 3 seed...what if someone loses, and we could get the NFC Championship at home???

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If you count the London game as a road game(which i do) the Rams were 3-3 at the Coliseum and 8-1 on the road. Home vs SF pending...

Honestly, i'd still rather travel in the playoffs. Snow, ice, dome, rowdy fans, crowd noise, - point spread, home biased officiating, visitor locker rooms...i say bring it on. The Rams have played more focused football away from the Coliseum going back to even last season(3-5 on the road). It is what it is.

Seeding? Not getting a home playoff game? Traveling to wherever to play whomever?
giphy.gif

Sure it would nice for the city of LA and the local fans but i honestly believe that right now the LA Rams are a tougher matchup as the road team. We can run it, sling it or both on offense...and the D is good enough to cause QB problems in any environment.

Minnesota is the only enemy building where we lost a game this year. Think about that.

Ram65

Legend
LOL in Phila they are trying to use this as bulletin board material. That is both fans and sports jocks building up a case saying Rams want to play the Eagles and are giving them no respect. They say they are afraid of the Vikings etc...

It's about getting everyone healthy. Lot of guys are banged up. The rest can give them fresh legs and help with the nagging injuries. McVay would look foolish if Goff or Gurley or any of the rest got hurt playing this week. I would like to beat the Whiners and think the Saints in their dome would be a tough matchup. All in in health and fresh legs are the wise choice.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seeding? Not getting a home playoff game? Traveling to wherever to play whomever?
giphy.gif

Agreed. Playing in New Orleans would suck, but the Rams still probably win that game. @Minnesota is the matchup that will forge the Super Bowl rep from the NFC.

This Rams team reminds me a bit of the 2001 Patriots, who won 11 games and went on to win it all. That team was young and establishing themselves in that playoffs with an untested QB, but went in there with a well balanced team and slayed the dragon in Pittsburgh. For the Rams the playoff dragon is Minnesota, just a question of whether they can get it done.

And while I'm pretty confident, I am still concerned with our loss of GZ. I pray that Ficken has a strong game Sunday to settle things down there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL in Phila they are trying to use this as bulletin board material. That is both fans and sports jocks building up a case saying Rams want to play the Eagles and are giving them no respect. They say they are afraid of the Vikings etc...

Morons. That bulletin board BS is only good until you get hit in the MFing mouth. From there it's football.

If the Rams go into Philadelphia, they'll beat the Eagles down in their house. Can't wait.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It makes sense. The fourth seeding is an easier path.

What I don’t like is sitting players and making them inactive. If Mannion gets hurt, then Goff comes into the game with a backup Oline protecting him. If Mannion gets injured they should just run every play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Mannion gets hurt, then Goff comes into the game with a backup Oline protecting him. If Mannion gets injured they should just run every play.

Think that's the plan. No way they risk Jared throwing behind that line if something happens to Sean. It'll be handoff every down, punt, play defense.

Sean's gonna be fine though. Tellin you, the 9ers have a lot of problems in the secondary and I think we're going to score on them. Plus even with backups you know Wade's gonna keep it real on defense.

Gonna laugh my @$$ off if we beat the whiners in their Super Bowl with backups. And it might happen.

Ram65

Legend
Morons. That bulletin board BS is only good until you get hit in the MFing mouth. From there it's football.

If the Rams go into Philadelphia, they'll beat the Eagles down in their house. Can't wait.

I sure hope they do beat the Eagles. The Eagle fans are trying to hang in there with Nick Foles. Some are staying positive but, a think more are very concerned. The Raiders game was a big wake up call. I thought they could give it a good shot to get to the Super Bowl with Foles. It probably doesn't matter but, I get the bulletin board material. They need something to focus on and not worry about Foles. The Eagles at home in the cold are not going down easy. They will be rested and have lots of time to prepare. The layoff could help the Rams if they play them and get off to a good start.