What does the QB class look like next year...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think the Rams will pick a QB in this draft. I hope it's not before the 4th because I just don't think there's a guy worth taking before then so many of the guys behind Mariota and Winston have warts that I just don't see much that separates them from each other.

Still, as I hope we only take a QB late, what are the options for next year? Anyone got a bead on who might be primed for a good year in college?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to say. I have a list of guys that I'm intrigued by but you never know who will regress, who will progress, and who will remain the same.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Care to share, big guy? I mean, even last year, people talked about Mariota.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Well let's not forget that last year at this time, the 2015 class was supposed to be a lot better year for QBs. I think people were projecting 4 in the top 20 (Mariota, Winston, Hundley, Petty)

Some QBs next year are intriguing and I would keep an eye on...

1. Connor Cook, Michigan State
2. Cardale Jones, Ohio State
3. Jared Goff, California
4. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, it will be interesting to see who the Ohio St. QB is...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If there are no good prospects after the first two, why even waste a pick on a QB this year?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If there are no good prospects after the first two, why even waste a pick on a QB this year?

I tend to always migrate to this line of thinking as well. Finding a Tom Brady is like a winning lottery ticket. Good luck!

I mean Garrett Gilbert, Jeff Smoker, etc. all feel like giving picks away.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Really wish the NFL still had a developmental league. They need it now more than ever. Heck, some of these spread guys would be better off going to the CFL for awhile to learn more pro-style concepts and reads rather than sitting on the bench for an NFL team. There are too few practices in the day and age of the new CBA for these guys to get live reps to help them...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Really wish the NFL still had a developmental league. They need it now more than ever. Heck, some of these spread guys would be better off going to the CFL for awhile to learn more pro-style concepts and reads rather than sitting on the bench for an NFL team. There are too few practices in the day and age of the new CBA for these guys to get live reps to help them...

Agreed, I would like to see a developmental league started up again. I am guessing the money just was not worth the number of prospects they got.

If I was a top rated high school QB there is no way I would want to go to college for a spread team. I would want the earliest jump possible to learn the pro system.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Agreed, I would like to see a developmental league started up again. I am guessing the money just was not worth the number of prospects they got.

If I was a top rated high school QB there is no way I would want to go to college for a spread team. I would want the earliest jump possible to learn the pro system.
I think the other issue with a football developmental league is the injuries. I'd rather learn from the sidelines than get paid a minor league salary while developing and risk being taken out by some young player trying to show up on some scout's highlight reel. While I agree that it would be good to get these guys eased in a bit, I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the risks.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well let's not forget that last year at this time, the 2015 class was supposed to be a lot better year for QBs. I think people were projecting 4 in the top 20 (Mariota, Winston, Hundley, Petty)

Some QBs next year are intriguing and I would keep an eye on...

1. Connor Cook, Michigan State
2. Cardale Jones, Ohio State
3. Jared Goff, California
4. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State

Add in Gunnar Kiel of Cincinnati if he improves. He's the real deal. I like Jones the most, though. Also, Trevone Boykin of TCU is good.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Man love for Jones' skill set, size, and his BIG cojones.
wtfnutt.gif

This is for you @CodeMonkey !