What do we know 'bout Hue Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Wow, he attended Dorsey High in Los Angeles. I remember playing them in football.

Well, given Wikipedia is blacked-out today, this was all I could find with a quick search

Hue Jackson biography
January 19, 2011

(01-18) 21:18 PST — Born: Oct. 22, 1965

High school: Dorsey High (Los Angeles)

College: Glendale (L.A. County) Community College; Pacific

Family: Wife Michelle and three daughters

Pac-10 connections: His Cal quarterback was Pat Barnes and the head coach was Steve Mariucci. ... At Arizona State, he worked for Bruce Snyder and coached Jake Plummer. ... His USC head coaches were John Robinson and Paul Hackett.

Trivia: Starred at quarterback and lettered in basketball at Pacific.
Coaching jobs

As a college assistant: Pacific, Cal State Fullerton, Arizona State

As a pro assistant: London Monarchs, Redskins, Bengals, Ravens

As an offensive coordinator: USC, Cal, Redskins, Falcons, Raiders

http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-01-19/s ... -assistant

bluecoconuts

Legend
Hue Jackson
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hue Jackson (born October 22, 1965) is an American football coach who was terminated from his most recent positon as the head coach of the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League after previously serving as the team's offensive coordinator in 2010.[1][2]
Before joining Oakland, Jackson served as offensive assistant coach for several NFL teams, most notably as the offensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins under Steve Spurrier and the Atlanta Falcons under Bobby Petrino.

Early life and playing career

Jackson, a native of Los Angeles, was a star quarterback at Dorsey High School in his hometown, where he also lettered in basketball. He starred in football at Glendale (Calif.) Community College in 1983 and 1984, where he earned his associate’s degree in 1984.
Jackson played quarterback at Pacific in the mid-1980s under the late Bob Cope. As a junior, Jackson had 1,595 yards of total offense, including 502 yards rushing, second-most on the team. In his senior season, he passed for 1,455 yards and rushed for 417 yards. As a quarterback at Pacific from 1985-86, Jackson threw for 2,544 yards and 19 TDs and the Tigers went 9-14 in Jackson's two seasons. He also lettered in basketball in 1986 and earned his degree in Physical Education.

Coaching career

College
He began his coaching career in 1987 at Pacific, his alma mater. Jackson spent 3 years (1987-89) there. From 1990-91, Jackson was the running backs coach and special teams coordinator at Cal State Fullerton. In the spring of 1991, he coached the running backs, receivers and special teams for the World League’s inaugural year champion London Monarchs. Then he spent 4 years (1992-95) at Arizona State, he was ASU’s running backs coach for the first 3 years (1992-94), then he handled the Sun Devil quarterbacks in 1995. He led California’s high-powered offense in 1996 as its offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, he helped lead the Golden Bears to an Aloha Bowl berth. Jackson served as USC’s offensive coordinator from 1997-2000, helping to recruit and develop players, including QB Carson Palmer, with whom he was later reunited in Cincinnati and Oakland.
Jackson also held 3 NFL summer coaching internships, in 1990 with the Los Angeles Rams, 1992 with the Phoenix Cardinals and 1995 with the Washington Redskins.

National Football League

Washington Redskins
From 2001 until 2002, Jackson spent as Redskins’s running backs coach under Marty Schottenheimer and Steve Spurrier. In 2001, under Jackson’s tutelage, RB Stephen Davis rushed for 1,432 yards, breaking the record he had set in 1999 for most rushing yards in a season by a Redskin. In 2002, Davis was on pace for another 1,000-yard rushing season before suffering a season-ending injury. Jackson was promoted to offensive coordinator in Washington by head coach Steve Spurrier in 2003 and handled the team’s offensive play-calling, becoming the only coach to perform that duty other than Spurrier.

Cincinnati Bengals
Jackson was the wide receivers coach for the Cincinnati Bengals for 3 seasons. Under Jackson’s tutelage in Cincinnati, Chad Ochocinco and T. J. Houshmandzadeh became one of the most prolific wide-receiving tandems in the NFL. In 2005, the Ochocinco-Houshmandzadeh tandem combined to total 175 receptions for 2,388 yards, while helping the team secure the AFC North title and a playoff berth for the first time in 15 years. In 2006, Ochocinco (1,369 yards) and Houshmandzadeh (1,081 yards) became the first pair of Bengals to eclipse the 1,000-yard receiving mark in a single season. In each of Jackson's 3 years in Cincinnati, Ochocinco was named to the Pro Bowl.

Atlanta Falcons
In 2007, after leaving Cincinnati, Jackson was an NFL offensive coordinator for the second time when he served in that capacity for the Atlanta Falcons under Bobby Petrino and Emmitt Thomas (Interim).

Baltimore Ravens
From 2008 until 2009, Jackson spent as Baltimore’s quarterbacks coach under head coach John Harbaugh. In 2008, Jackson tutored Joe Flacco, who became the first rookie QB to win two playoff games in NFL history as the Ravens advanced to the AFC Championship game. He helped the Ravens advance to the postseason in both seasons.

Oakland Raiders
In 2010, under Jackson’s guidance, the Raiders offense finished fourth in the AFC and sixth in the NFL in scoring (25.6 points per game) also finished fifth in the AFC and 10th in the NFL in total offense (354.6 yards per game) and second in the NFL and AFC in rushing (155.9 yards per game). The Raiders more than doubled their scoring output from the previous year, totaling 410 points. Under Jackson’s offense, RB Darren McFadden finished the season with 1,157 yards rushing on 223 carries for a 5.2 average YPC and 7 rushing touchdowns. McFadden also had 47 receptions for 507 yards and 3 touchdowns. His total numbers were 1,664 total yards and 10 total touchdowns for the 2010 NFL season. Making McFadden the NFL's 5th leader in total yards from scrimmage for the 2010 season.
After the 2010 season Hue Jackson was named Oakland Raiders head coach in 2011, succeeding Tom Cable.[3]
Jackson was fired by the Oakland Raiders on January 10, 2012 after one season as head coach curiously after Reggie McKenzie assumed the position of General Manager, which was held by the late General Partner and Owner Al Davis. In his lone season as head coach, the Raiders finished the season with a record of 8-8 and missed the playoffs, after starting the season 7-4.[4]

Personal Life
Hue Jackson's wife is named Michelle. The two live in Los Angeles, California and have two daughters.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How'd u get that? Wiki was down for me.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Magic :ww:

I added a filter to an addblock thing to get around the censor, allowing me to access it.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd kind of prefer to see Jackson as the hire vs. Shotty. The Jets offense just doesn't wow me, and that's with two pretty damn good receivers and a nice TE.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Warner4Prez said:
I'd kind of prefer to see Jackson as the hire vs. Shotty. The Jets offense just doesn't wow me, and that's with two pretty damn good receivers and a nice TE.

Agreed. I have no problem with either candidate, but I do like Jackson a little more.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I think I'd lean toward Jackson. He also runs a version of the WCO. Maybe Sam would be a little more comfortable in that kind of offense and could hit the ground running.

I am not sure if Shotty's offense was held back by Sanchez. I always thought he was extremely over-rated so I have a hard time putting the offensive woes of the Jets all on the coach.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
Yeah - I think I'd lean toward Jackson. He also runs a version of the WCO. Maybe Sam would be a little more comfortable in that kind of offense and could hit the ground running.

I am not sure if Shotty's offense was held back by Sanchez. I always thought he was extremely over-rated so I have a hard time putting the offensive woes of the Jets all on the coach.
If you listened to the audio of Cosell from NFL films, he remarked that he saw a lot of open reads that Sanchez missed, he felt as if the offense was good, well designed. On Bradford he said guys were not open and he had no time to throw.

I'm keeping an open mind for the OC. Even though Sam knows the WCO, there are a lot of things that I don't like about it. I despise all the stop and comeback routes (yes, I know that's not all there is). But I didn't like Shurmer's version or the way he ran it. I prefer vertical routes, hitting receivers and giving them a chance to run.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What do we know about Hue Jackson??

uspw_5610594_20111009172438181_660_320.JPG

That he was Tebowing before Tebowing became cool.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
If you listened to the audio of Cosell from NFL films, he remarked that he saw a lot of open reads that Sanchez missed, he felt as if the offense was good, well designed. On Bradford he said guys were not open and he had no time to throw.

I'm keeping an open mind for the OC. Even though Sam knows the WCO, there are a lot of things that I don't like about it. I despise all the stop and comeback routes (yes, I know that's not all there is). But I didn't like Shurmer's version or the way he ran it. I prefer vertical routes, hitting receivers and giving them a chance to run.

I can buy that. Like I said, I have always thought that Sanchez was over-rated. He's a mediocre QB. I would also be hesitant to think that Ryan would be an easy coach to work under as an OC.

I'm not sure that there are quite as many stop routes in Jackson's offense as there are in Shurmur's. I also think that our O-line play will be better under Fisher - no matter who the OC ends up being.

Still at this point I would lean toward Jackson. I think he will be able to get good production out of our offense and better utilize a back like SJ.

bluecoconuts

Legend
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

I can buy that. Like I said, I have always thought that Sanchez was over-rated. He's a mediocre QB. I would also be hesitant to think that Ryan would be an easy coach to work under as an OC.

I'm not sure that there are quite as many stop routes in Jackson's offense as there are in Shurmur's. I also think that our O-line play will be better under Fisher - no matter who the OC ends up being.

Still at this point I would lean toward Jackson. I think he will be able to get good production out of our offense and better utilize a back like SJ.

I like Jackson for what his offense can do, as long as he doesn't get a big head like he did in Oakland. I do wonder if we have the speed for his offense though, Raiders really liked burners on offense, I we don't have guys with the get away speed like they do.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

I like Jackson for what his offense can do, as long as he doesn't get a big head like he did in Oakland. I do wonder if we have the speed for his offense though, Raiders really liked burners on offense, I we don't have guys with the get away speed like they do.
We don't have any real speed on offense, but we need to get some no matter who our new OC is.

NI Ram Fam

UDFA
bluecoconuts said:
I do wonder if we have the speed for his offense though, Raiders really liked burners on offense, I we don't have guys with the get away speed like they do.

He had TJ and Chad in Cincy, neither of those guys would be considered burners and both had 1,000 yard seasons with him as WR coach in '05. I reckon he could do a lot with Lloyd, Amendola, Salas and someone else (Blackmon, Jeffrey, Floyd or even Bowe or Colston)