What are the factors that make Jeff Fisher right?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
For a while it has been highly debated about the QB situation. Who should be starting?

Almost every post and thread is focused on why Fish is wrong and why Goff should be starting.

To be clear I am on the start Goff bandwagon and even told my wife to plan a movie date during the game this week. I will be hoping for the Rams to win but I just am not going to invest the time and energy into watching the game until I can watch Goff.

This is because I know Goff is the future, whether he struggles or not, he is the future. I also really liked what I saw from him as a prospect.

The reasons I think Fish may be right:

1. Having time to take in the NFL game and all the nuances - all the while being on a very young team.
2. Keenum, although limited physically, has tremendous leadership qualities. For a young guy like Goff to be apart of that process with Keenum will be great for his future.
3. While Goff took a beating in college. He is now up against even bigger guys and that beating could take a real toll.
4. The run game is just not working. I know teams are daring Keenum (which has a lot to do with his height), but there are other problems that go with the run game. Sticking a rookie QB in a place where the Oline cannot create holes could just be disastrous.

I don't want this thread to be a whole debate about why we should be starting Goff. I want to hear some of the great reasons that Fish is right. I remember very clearly when GB cut Favre in favor of Rodgers. There were so many Packers fans enraged, yet so many happy.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
When you're 3-5 during your fifth straight losing season, currently on a 4 game losing streak, AND you refuse to play your #1 over all QB pick, but you make $6 million per year, and cannot be fired ... you look like this!

smiling-Jeff.JPG

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not gonna argue any of your points just one thought comes to mind though. When a coach has had complete roster/player control as well as brought in his own coaches over 5 years and hasn't improved the offense at all he kind of loses any credibility in my eyes. He made the choice to start Keenum and has stuck with him and we're free falling right now. He's gotta live with that hanging around his neck.

Bruce2980

Starter
Jeff Fisher might be right , as pointed out by Chris Carter, because he got the Rams to select a QB #1, and he is really terrible, so terrible that he can't even beat out a career backup QB like Keenum for the starting job after 9 weeks. Whom has had a 40 QB rating the last two weeks, so Goff must be so terrible at the QB position that Fisher doesn't think he can go through a game and get a QB rating of 40.
And due to that possibility that Fisher is right, he wants to get fired and find another coaching job before the world discovers the crimes he committed against the fans and this team and organization. Because once that happens he will be ran out of the NFL.
I like Brian's reason as well. With $6 million I would never be wrong.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
He is right because he's an NFL Head coach, and is playing the long game.
I'm sure, right now Goff, is better than Keenum. No question in my mind.

I'm equally sure that the average age of the "Goff Now" set is 30, and probably 25.
And I get that, and have no problem with it, and was the same way at that age.

My question is, do you honestly believe this team had a shot this year with Goff?
Honestly? Do you really, really believe that?

Or is the reality that you just want to see the shiny new toy for your own edification?

Fisher knows what he is doing with Goff.
That, and I stress this, does not necessarily mean he knows what he's doing with our offense.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The same reasons you listed are why I occasionally step back on the fence.

Those trips to the fence are considerably shorter than a few weeks ago.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Weather he is right or not, when Goff steps on the field he has to perform to an average to above average level.

Fisher's future hangs on Goff's success.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Watch Goff during preseason. He played very limited snaps, and played somewhat poorly during that time. See our coaching staff, we haven't developed many players on the offensive side of the ball. And if Goff completely tanks Fisher is out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only way he is right is if Goff is so bad that he's afraid to play him.
Otherwise, he is wrong. Just because he is an NFL coach doesn't mean that his decisions are correct

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In discussing Keenum, you sight this ^ Fact! I would like to see a link for this^!! I don't believe it's accurate!
Yeah agreed.
Unless he's using the ESPN total QB number which is deceiving
His "standard" QBR while still terrible, is 62.1 over the last 2 weeks, not 40

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If you are a highly paid coach in the NFL that loses more games than you win, you are wrong. And normally very short lived!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He is right because he's an NFL Head coach, and is playing the long game.
I'm sure, right now Goff, is better than Keenum. No question in my mind.

I'm equally sure that the average age of the "Goff Now" set is 30, and probably 25.
And I get that, and have no problem with it, and was the same way at that age.

My question is, do you honestly believe this team had a shot this year with Goff?

Or is the reality that you just want to see the shiny new toy for your own edification?

Fisher knows what he is doing with Goff.
That, and I stress this, does not necessarily mean he knows what he's doing with our offense.
I truly 100% from the bottom of my heart believe that we would be at the very, very least 5-3 with Goff right now.

Goff wins 2 of the last 4 games based just on his arm strength and accuracy alone. The Giants and Panthers games.

Bruce2980

Starter
Last edited:

jap

Legend
Two positive things about Jared with a clipboard is that (a) he will be even more better prepared when he finally steps onto the field (b) if he is continuing to increase his fitness training, he will be better prepared to endure the very literal hard knocks of NFL life. Of course, he has to take full advantage of his upcoming first full NFL off-season to get Ram-tough!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I truly believe that the members of ROD are above average NFL fans when it comes to football knowledge. But if we were to pool all of our warped brains together somehow... our collective football knowledge wouldn't come close to the football IQ possessed by coach Fisher. Add in Fisher's offensive coaching staff's knowledge... and ROD's football IQ would look like a mentally disabled person in comparison. It's fun to play armchair GM and Coach... but let me know when any of you are financially supporting yourselves solely from the income you receive for doing it.

Fisher has developed very successful NFL players for decades. Even a QB who took his team all the way to the Super Bowl. It's fine not to agree with Fisher's football philosophy and strategies, but it's simply not realistic to say that Fisher doesn't know how to develop a successful NFL player (even a QB).

We can all speculate right now about how far along in the process Goff is, but none of us KNOW how far along he is. Practices are not open to the public right now... we haven't seen shit out of Goff since the preseason.

I have heard a number of NFL QBs say that they agree with the way Goff is being prepared to play. I even heard one say that he wished that he had been afforded the same process because he felt like he was forced out on the field too soon.Even Dick Pic HOF QB Brett Favre came out this week and said he believes that what Fish is doing with Goff is the correct thing.

The NFL is set up in a way to try and keep all teams competitive. Most teams are around 500 at the end of the year because of it. That's were the vast majority of the NFL sits at the end of every year. The teams who perform the best are usually the ones who have the best QBs. And there are always teams who fall way way short of the 500 mark. We used to live in that purgatory too.

Some day in the future we'll catch lightening in a bottle again at the QB position. Hopefully very soon with our Boi Goff. While I'm waiting for that with all of the rest of you, I choose to believe that our HC has the information needed to make the correct decision about when Goff sees the field. He sees and knows everything Goff is doing. We don't see or know much really in comparison.

I understand all of the frustration right now because I am feeling it too. But my gut tells me that Goff is in great hands with the coaches who are prepping his 21 year old ass for a successful start and finish in this league. Some things take time... more time than we like.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think they're all valid reasons listed by the OP and others. Great approach to this topic BTW.

At the root of all this angst is a lack confidence in Fisher on this side of the ball. And... quite frankly, after 5yrs of his offense, it's understandable the strategy would be second guessed.

The results on offense are just not there.

Is he right?

I guess that brings up another reason why some doubt it; the lack of transparency from this coaching staff. We only know what we know about his progress and that's leads to speculation, without much data.

And to see other rookies have success? Oh boy. There's the lack of confidence again.

All brought on by results. The coaches own that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The lack of the running game is my only thought...maybe he doesn't understand the protections...the interior offensive line...
Did you honestly believe that this team had a shot with Keenum?