Wentz is tearing up his pro day apparently

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NFLDraftScout.com
2016 NFL Draft: Carson Wentz crushes pro day with Browns watching
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
March 24, 2016 1:10 pm ET

With NFL eyes focused on Fargo for North Dakota State's pro day on Thursday, including the Cleveland Browns, Carson Wentz didn't disappoint.

In the Fargodome with his former receivers, Wentz went through a 65-throw script, completing 63 passes with one drop and one overthrow. Similar to Jared Goff at his pro day, NFL quarterback Ryan Lindley helped design the workout.

And also similar to Goff's pro day, Browns' offensive assistant coach Pep Hamilton had Wentz make several additional throws, using a water bottle to wet the ball at the snap. His first pass with the water-soaked ball bounced to the receiver, but Wentz rebounded well and got into a rhythm.

Wentz's strengths as a passer were on full display at the workout, showing off a strong arm and the mobility to make throws on the move. He has a NFL-style skill-set and delivers a very catchable ball with timing and touch. Based on film study, the main concerns for Wentz are his internal clock and ability to work through progressions, but those questions won't be answered in a pro day setting.

Despite all 32 teams being credentialed for the pro day, only 18 were in attendance due to snowstorms in the area. Browns' head coach Hue Jackson was the only head coach in attendance.

The Browns announced the signing of quarterback Robert Griffin III on Thursday, but that won't alter their thinking with the No. 2 overall pick. If there is a quarterback in this draft, presumably Goff or Wentz, that Jackson and the Browns' brain trust believe can be a long-term starter, he will be the pick second overall.

Nothing transpired at the pro day that NFL teams didn't already know about Wentz and his talents, but it was another setting for him to show off his talents just like he did at the Senior Bowl and Combine. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder at the quarterback position, but he is the favorite to be the first quarterback drafted for many around the league.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow. As good as Sam Bradford's?

Um, is that a ringing endorsement?

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Ha I just posted those tweets too in the other thread. This guy is special and I hope that somehow, some way the Rams draft him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams hands are tied now. Him having a subpar pro day was their only hope to be able to get him without going up to 1. Price is set now IMO, Rams gotta make a decision on him.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Rams hands are tied now. Him having a subpar pro day was their only hope to be able to get him without going up to 1. Price is set now IMO, Rams gotta make a decision on him.
decision made, DO IT!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Carson Wentz would take the Rams to the playoffs as a rookie. Maybe further...

Yeah, I think he's that good...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Best QB Pro Day that I've ever seen. Goff had a good day, Cook had a good day, Wentz tore it up.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think we should trade up to 3, whatever it takes. I'd be ecstatic with either Wentz or Goff, whoever makes it. I don't see a need to trade up to 1 because I think both will be great.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Wow. As good as Sam Bradford's?

Um, is that a ringing endorsement?
Sams pro day left scouts speechless. It was at that time the greatest pro day anyone had ever seen. If this was better then it must have been special.

Whatever anyone feels about his progression or regression as a pro - he was pretty much the best prospect to come out until Luck.

I see it as meaning Wentz has the potential to be very special. We must throw everything at getting him because I think we are so close - he's push us over the edge if we can get a WR as well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sams pro day left scouts speechless. It was at that time the greatest pro day anyone had ever seen. If this was better then it must have been special.

Whatever anyone feels about his progression or regression as a pro - he was pretty much the best prospect to come out until Luck.

I see it as meaning Wentz has the potential to be very special. We must throw everything at getting him because I think we are so close - he's push us over the edge if we can get a WR as well.
The ball placement, change of velocity, and arc, the fluidity of throwing on the run. Made every type of throw, and 3 balls, I think, hit the ground. One was a beautiful, deep ball that barely missed. WR's dropped one of the other ones, and he totally chunked the first wet ball. This was also a very fast paced workout, like Goff's workout.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
The ball placement, change of velocity, and arc, the fluidity of throwing on the run. Made every type of throw, and 3 balls, I think, hit the ground. One was a beautiful, deep ball that barely missed. WR's dropped one of the other ones, and he totally chunked the first wet ball. This was also a very fast paced workout, like Goff's workout.

He's got the physical tools no doubt. The one thing no pro day can ever show though is relation to game day - decision making when the bullets are flying. Wentz's knock is the level of defences he's faced right? Today doesn't dispel that. Is he a guy who can dissect a disguised and talented and fast defense pre and post snap in an instant whilst a big time defensive end is rushing into his peripheral vision and about to smack seven shades of you know what out of him? A pro day can't figure that out. Only the tape does that along with interviews and lots of reps to figure out f what you're seeing is fluke or really him.

From the hype that's been building on him - most of the league think this guy has got that about him. From what I've seen he seems very focused and extremely confident. Almost a swagger about him like "I belong here" that can't be faked. Apparently they took a snap poll of anonymous NFL gms and most (15 out of 17 polled or something) said they thought he was better than Goff before today. So no doubt about it - he's a hot commodity.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
image.gif

image.gif