Week 7 Power Rankings.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

zo5qhdytexs6wrk7k6vy.jpg

NFL.com, Dan Hanzus Rank: 7
Last Week: 8
Change: +1
1634663305875.png

ESPN.com Rank: 3
Last Week: 3
Change: No change

Previous ranking: 3
sw_ye_40.png

Week 1 confidence rating:
How it's going now: 8.4

The 5-1 Rams won in convincing fashion over the defending Super Bowl champion Buccaneers. They won "ugly," as some players described it, against the Colts and Seahawks. And they flat-out failed to show up in an embarrassing loss to the undefeated Cardinals -- a team the Rams had previously defeated in eight consecutive meetings. So, although the Rams' record is among the best in the NFL, it's far too early to crown them Super Bowl champions, which is reflected in a modest climb from 8 to 8.4 through six games. The key to a bigger jump in confidence? Consistency in all three phases, regardless of opponent. -- Lindsey Thiry

Yahoo! Sports, Frank Schwab Rank: 2

Darrell Henderson has become a versatile weapon for the Rams. He had 107 total yards and two touchdowns, one each rushing and receiving, Sunday. Henderson's strong play makes the Sony Michel trade look weird, but the Rams don't value draft picks anyway.

Bleacher Report Rank: 2
Last Week: 2

1. Last Week: 2
    Week 6 Result: Won at New York Giants 38-11
    Fun fact: Sean McVay's Los Angeles Rams have never lost a game when leading at halftime.
    That streak wasn't about to end Sunday against a completely overmatched New York Giants team.
    This was a game where the Rams did just about anything they wanted offensively. Matthew Stafford had only two more incompletions in Week 6 (six) than touchdown passes (four). Two of those scoring strikes went to wide receiver Cooper Kupp, who piled up 130 receiving yards. Running back Darrell Henderson racked up 107 total yards and two touchdowns of his own.
    Defensively, the Rams put the clamps on Daniel Jones and the Giants. Much of New York's 261 yards of offense came with the game completely out of hand. L.A. forced four turnovers and didn't let the Giants into the end zone until garbage time.
    It was the first of a trio of eminently winnable games for the Rams, who host Detroit next week before heading to Houston to pound the Texans.
    If the Rams aren't 7-1 when the Titans come to town on November 7, it will be a massive upset, and they probably won't be an underdog again until visiting Lambeau Field on November 28.

USA Today, Nate Davis Rank: 2
Last Week: 2

2. Rams (2): WR Cooper Kupp appears headed for a career year, leading the league in targets (68) – the only NFL player with at least 10 in every game – receptions (46) and TD grabs (7).

Sports Illustrated, MMQB senior editor Gary Gramling Rank: 1
Last Week: 5
Change: +4
Note: A different member of the MMQB staff compiles their rankings each week.

Last week: Win at New York Giants, 38–11
Next week: vs. Detroit

The only blip on their record game on an off-day against a Cardinals team they’d beat four out of five times at SoFi. They have the best coach in the NFL, an MVP-caliber quarterback playing at an MVP level, and as long as Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey stay healthy they’ll remain the most well-rounded team in football.

CBS Sports, Pete Prisco Rank: 3
Last Week: 4

1634663694851.png

Washington Post, Mark Maske Rank: 4
Last Week: 5

4. Los Angeles Rams (5-1) | Last week’s rank: 5
Matthew Stafford was sharp and the Rams were dominant in beating the Giants in East Rutherford, N.J. Not that it’s such a major accomplishment these days to beat the Giants in dominant fashion.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Outside of Hanzus on NFL.com, everyone else have us in their top 4.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Rightfully so. December 13th is going to be a huge important game. Unfortunately, we are in Arizona.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
4. Los Angeles Rams (5-1) | Last week’s rank: 5
Matthew Stafford was sharp and the Rams were dominant in beating the Giants in East Rutherford, N.J. Not that it’s such a major accomplishment these days to beat the Giants in dominant fashion.
If it's not an accomplishment, why hasn't everyone done it? We beat them by the largest point differential while resting our starters in the fourth quarter. Held them to their lowest points scored all season while resting our starters in the fourth quarter. Scored the second most points... You get the idea. Only Dallas beat them as badly as we did. I'd say it is an accomplishment to beat down a professional team like that. Washington and Atlanta barely beat them. The Saints actually lost. Too dismissive of the performance, IMO.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Outside of Hanzus on NFL.com, everyone else have us in their top 4.
Yeah but how can anyone disagree with Dan Hanzus?!?

I mean consider all his qualifications and expertise!

It's not like he's just another sports fan but one with a media outlet to give his opinions to many.

OR IS IT?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Yahoo! Sports, Frank Schwab Rank: 2

Darrell Henderson has become a versatile weapon for the Rams. He had 107 total yards and two touchdowns, one each rushing and receiving, Sunday. Henderson's strong play makes the Sony Michel trade look weird, but the Rams don't value draft picks anyway.
The Sony Michel trade does not look weird, it looks smart.

Particularly when Funk is out for the season, jackass!

Who are these people and do they watch games?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Yeah but how can anyone disagree with Dan Hanzus?!?

I mean consider all his qualifications and expertise!

It's not like he's just another sports fan but one with a media outlet to give his opinions to many.

OR IS IT?
Or his buddy, Gregg (with 2 g's) Rosenthal, who ranks Matthew Stafford 12th.

Stoner

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If it's not an accomplishment, why hasn't everyone done it? We beat them by the largest point differential while resting our starters in the fourth quarter. Held them to their lowest points scored all season while resting our starters in the fourth quarter. Scored the second most points... You get the idea. Only Dallas beat them as badly as we did. I'd say it is an accomplishment to beat down a professional team like that. Washington and Atlanta barely beat them. The Saints actually lost. Too dismissive of the performance, IMO.
McVay definitely took his foot off the gas right out the gate in the third quarter. That drive was 90% runs and the Rams offense were heavy on the ground the rest of the game.

This offense has a LOT of room to play better than what they have. It's a sleeping giant and not just in the pass game. Barring injuries they're going to get better and better as we go forward.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
I think Hanzus is more into the rankings as a week by week thing...It's the clown on the show with him, Matt "Money" Smith...clearly a Ram hater and today, when he said he calls Charger games, it made sense..."Hey Money, just be sure and pay your rent, clown"....

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Sony Michel trade does not look weird, it looks smart.

Particularly when Funk is out for the season, jackass!

Who are these people and do they watch games?
And especially when Michel already had to start a game when Henderson was out.

I mean, who needs RB depth?

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Who is Gary Gramling and why isn't everybody else on that same page!? Seems to seriously believe that the Cards loss was more about what the Rams didn't do...

oldnotdead

Legend
I have no doubt Michel will re=sign as a Ram and he will be here for another 4 years.

The history of RBs post Achilles injury isn't encouraging. Few return 100%. IMO Aker's injury is a career killer. He might return to play in 2022, but at most he's on the roster for 2023. After that I doubt he is re-signed. Don't forget he was just returning from an injury.

Trading for Michel is Snead's way of recognizing that they have lost their lead RB permanently. For those that doubt what I'm saying, know that I'm not the only one thinking that. This is an excerpt from QTR:

One study in 2017 looked at Achille tears in the NFL between 2010 and 2015. The study found that:

78 Achilles tendon ruptures were identified in professional football players during the 2010-2015 NFL seasons. 58% of these injuries occurred during the preseason. Of those that suffered an Achilles tendon rupture, 26% did not ever return to play in the NFL. Players who did return to play in the NFL took an average of 9 months to recover after the date of injury. Across all positions, there was a net decrease in power ratings by 22% and a net decrease in approximate value by 23% over 3 years following player return after Achilles tendon rupture. Across all positions, running backs saw the biggest decrease in production with a 78% decrease over 3 years post-injury in both power ratings and approximate value.
The biggest concern there is that running backs saw the biggest decrease in production with a 78% decrease over three years post-injury in both power ratings and approximate value. That doesn’t bode well from a scientific or historical standpoint for Akers.

So it's going to be Henderson, Michel, Funk, and probably Howell going forward and Akers return or not can't be a factor from this point on. Aker's only has 2 more years after this season on his contract. After next year he will carry a minimal dead cap. Regardless of Akers return or not he won't be extended. The trade for Michel is confirmation of the FO's perspective and IMO it's the right one. You don't trade for a #3 RB. Michel's style of play lends itself to being a #1RB and I think he will be just that next year if not this year.

McVay should use Howell's size and speed to play him as a lead blocker for Henderson. In play action, Stafford will have both RBs as potential targets as well.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Whoa that Kupp stat.... in Moss's territory?? What a monster year he's having.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Henderson's strong play is in part BECAUSE of the Sony Michel trade.

Nothing weird about it.

What's weird is that this Frank Schwab guy can't figure that out.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I didn't read thru the OP yet but if the Rams aren't in your top 5 i don't want to talk to you.

Only loss is to an undefeated team. Strength of schedule is toughest among the top 7 teams in the NFC. Then there's the eye test of being balanced on offense. The only reason i can't put them #1 is the Cards loss and the defense is still rounding into shape.

Mine:
#1 Cardinals
#2 Bills
#3 Rams
#4 Bucs
#5 Cowboys

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I have no doubt Michel will re=sign as a Ram and he will be here for another 4 years.

The history of RBs post Achilles injury isn't encouraging. Few return 100%. IMO Aker's injury is a career killer. He might return to play in 2022, but at most he's on the roster for 2023. After that I doubt he is re-signed. Don't forget he was just returning from an injury.

Trading for Michel is Snead's way of recognizing that they have lost their lead RB permanently. For those that doubt what I'm saying, know that I'm not the only one thinking that. This is an excerpt from QTR:

One study in 2017 looked at Achille tears in the NFL between 2010 and 2015. The study found that:

You have no doubt Michel will resign with the Rams in the 2022 offseason based on what?

This is merely a bold prediction with nothing more than a hunch imo.

I have have doubt. It's very possible Michel could move on and sign with another team after this season for a much bigger pay check than the Rams believe he's worth.

I get your doubt about Akers possibly not being the same player in 2022 after his Achilles injury.

Guessing Akers return to full strength has nothing to do with what Michel decides after this season ends.

The Rams have no idea of how Akers will be in 2022.

They will not overpay Michel even if they have calculated doubts about Akers return.

Not sure what the no doubt bold statement is supported by?

8474f1e0d13eec8c27fa40628b6fc552.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't read thru the OP yet but if the Rams aren't in your top 5 i don't want to talk to you.

Only loss is to an undefeated team. Strength of schedule is toughest among the top 7 teams in the NFC. Then there's the eye test of being balanced on offense. The only reason i can't put them #1 is the Cards loss and the defense is still rounding into shape.

Mine:
#1 Cardinals
#2 Bills
#3 Rams
#4 Bucs
#5 Cowboys
Yep...I don't understand how many Power Rankings have the Bucs above the Rams, when the Rams kicked their ass. I understand the Cardinal placement....for now.