We may not have liked it, but the Rams were right.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
We didn't like it when the Rams didn't re-sign OBJ... but it looks like the Rams were right.
While we don't have all the facts, it seems fairly clear that OBJ was never going to be a factor in this year's regular season, but he wanted to be paid as if he was going to contribute immediately. So, all that talk about OJB wanting to return and loving it in L.A., and the implication that our front office was taking too hard a line... maybe just spin, huh? I don't know that the story is over. Perhaps, this offseason, when OBJ can present as a guy who will be ready to go on day 1, the Rams might get back into the discussion. I'm not going to say whether we should do so at this point. I will say, though, that the Rams were right to wait.

We didn't like it when Von Miller signed with Buffalo... but it looks like the Rams were right.

Before anyone says "there was no way to know he'd get injured"... I know that, and its not my point. My point here is that the Rams were right when they decided that they were not going to re-sign Miller AT ANY COST. The Bills, who viewed him as the final piece for their title run, absolutely overpaid him given his age. The fact that he is now likely out until, at best, late 2023, only hammers home the point. If was 27, you'd still expect to get him back at 100% some day. At 33... perhaps not. There was a big number that the Rams were willing to pay, and I would have been fine if they had. But not a blank check.

We didn't like it when the Rams drafted Tutu Atwell... but the Rams were right (sort of).
No, I'm not going to defend WHEN Atwell was taken (probably a round too soon). And no, I'm not going to address who we could have had instead (there were better options). I will, however, defend the selection against those who have suggested that Atwell is not an NFL player. He is. In the last four weeks, he's had 10 receptions, 181 yards and a TD. He's also gotten behind the defense consistently, drawing a key PI last week. He's fast. He's got good hands. Can he hold up for a full season of use? Who knows? Jacob Harris apparently can't, and he's 6'5, 211. So, ignoring the price paid and opportunities foregone, I feel like I can say that the Rams have an asset in Atwell. That was not always a given.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
OBJ was a half a year rental that didn't want to play the whole season and knew he didn't have to.

He's more like a mercenary at this point who wants to play for another championship for half a year.

We can't say Von Miller would have gotten injured if he'd continue playing for us so that's a maybe.

Tutu would have to have a Hall of Fame career or at least a couple of pro bowls before I would accept having him over a, (future) Pro Bowl Center who would have beefed up the middle of our line, (barring injury).
I'll never buy Tutu over a upgrade on the o line, overall.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OBJ was a half a year rental that didn't want to play the whole season and knew he didn't have to.

He's more like a mercenary at this point who wants to play for another championship for half a year.

We can't say Von Miller would have gotten injured if he'd continue playing for us so that's a maybe.

Tutu would have to have a Hall of Fame career or at least a couple of pro bowls before I would accept having him over a, (future) Pro Bowl Center who would have beefed up the middle of our line, (barring injury).
I'll never buy Tutu over a upgrade on the o line, overall.
I'm curious... did you read the bold part of my post only? You don't seem to be responding to (or even acknowledging) my actual points.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm curious... did you read the bold part of my post only? You don't seem to be responding to (or even acknowledging) my actual points.
You'll be all right man.

I'm just giving my opinions on those three players regardless of your opinion if that's okay.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
You'll be all right man.

I'm just giving my opinions on those three players regardless of your opinion if that's okay.
I'm all for the expression of varied opinions. That's what makes for good discussion.

The problem (and its not a big deal) here is that you disagreed with a straw man, rather than actually addressing my points.

Call it a pet peeve of mine.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm all for the expression of varied opinions. That's what makes for good discussion.

The problem (and its not a big deal) here is that you disagreed with a straw man, rather than actually addressing my points.

Call it a pet peeve of mine.
Cool.

And it wasn't really a straw man because I wasn't really responding to what you wrote necessarily.

Just random thoughts I had on those three players prior to your post.

Cheers!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We didn't like it when the Rams didn't re-sign OBJ... but it looks like the Rams were right.
While we don't have all the facts, it seems fairly clear that OBJ was never going to be a factor in this year's regular season, but he wanted to be paid as if he was going to contribute immediately. So, all that talk about OJB wanting to return and loving it in L.A., and the implication that our front office was taking too hard a line... maybe just spin, huh? I don't know that the story is over. Perhaps, this offseason, when OBJ can present as a guy who will be ready to go on day 1, the Rams might get back into the discussion. I'm not going to say whether we should do so at this point. I will say, though, that the Rams were right to wait.

We didn't like it when Von Miller signed with Buffalo... but it looks like the Rams were right.
Before anyone says "there was no way to know he'd get injured"... I know that, and its not my point. My point here is that the Rams were right when they decided that they were not going to re-sign Miller AT ANY COST. The Bills, who viewed him as the final piece for their title run, absolutely overpaid him given his age. The fact that he is now likely out until, at best, late 2023, only hammers home the point. If was 27, you'd still expect to get him back at 100% some day. At 33... perhaps not. There was a big number that the Rams were willing to pay, and I would have been fine if they had. But not a blank check.

We didn't like it when the Rams drafted Tutu Atwell... but the Rams were right (sort of).
No, I'm not going to defend WHEN Atwell was taken (probably a round too soon). And no, I'm not going to address who we could have had instead (there were better options). I will, however, defend the selection against those who have suggested that Atwell is not an NFL player. He is. In the last four weeks, he's had 10 receptions, 181 yards and a TD. He's also gotten behind the defense consistently, drawing a key PI last week. He's fast. He's got good hands. Can he hold up for a full season of use? Who knows? Jacob Harris apparently can't, and he's 6'5, 211. So, ignoring the price paid and opportunities foregone, I feel like I can say that the Rams have an asset in Atwell. That was not always a given.
I told you bastids! My guy Tutu!

View: https://twitter.com/Ihartitz/status/1603098864713711623?s=20&t=gps7biJlohwvOHepW8a47w

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with all of your points. Regardless of Miller's health, you cannot go all in on a 33 year old with multiple years..UNLESS there is an out for extended injury. The Tutu point is well stated. We may all change our mind if Tutu can make plays all over the field as to where he was picked...for now, I still have a minor disagreement taking him at the expense of a very good Center who was available. I know Sean probably dreams about what he can do with some of these gadget type players, but at this point, his QB is probably hoping for a good veteran LT signing and a few young players that can contribute sooner rather than later on the OL...we need Matt to see we are serious about protecting him. As to OBJ, the Rams made it very clear that they wanted him back..he and Matt have a Matt/Kupp tpe of chemistry, especially in the Red Zone that is special...BUT....we need to be able to make sure that he is something close to the player that played the last halp of our SB season before we throw too much at him. and one last point...I would like to see alot more Kyren at RB please. Saw a vey good blitz pick up by him that allowed Baker to get a good pass off, and I like his ability to catch a safety valve pass and making something of it.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Avenger,
Agree with your points. Having said that have you noticed that it's much more fun to excoriate and criticize the FO than to have to admit that they got something right?
Just an observation.

Btw what's the weather look like for Monday night in Green Bay?
Rest assured that I and your Rams Family will be thinking about you all wrapped up nice and cozy in our warm homes.
We do, however, appreciate your efforts on our behalf of cheering on the Rams. Somebody's got to do it...and who better at this time of year than a guy from Florida??

~ArkyRamsFan~

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'm not sure there were many fans who 'didn't like' that OBj wasn't re-signed as a seriously injured player. His bad luck was that he became a free agent and wasn't under contract following the 2022 season. We'll probably never know if the Rams offered him a longer term contract when he was initially signed, or whether he and his agent held out for more after being released by Cleveland. The timing for acquiring OBj couldn't have been better though as Robert Woods' contract was set to go into overdrive and Van Jefferson runs consistently hot or cold. OBj recently turned 30 years old, if his legs hold up he may have a few good years left in him, although both he and his agent will need to come to terms with the reality of returning to any team as an injury risk while on a 'prove it' type future deal. His not working out for potential suitors is a red flag & deal breaker imo, and reportedly not allowing substantial testing by team doctors is over the top. Now, with all this said, if he checks out medically with the Rams, I'd welcome him back for the 2023 season in a heartbeat if the price is right.

The only thing I didn't like when we traded for Von Miller was not securing a longer term contract with him while giving Denver our 2'nd and 3'rd round draft picks for what turned out to be an 8 game rental. Yes, we got a Super Bowl trophy out of the deal, but hopefully our front office has learned to be better negotiators in the future.

Rams fans had every reason to be less than thrilled with the Atwell draft pick, for multiple reasons. Many of us wanted/expected more than 1 offensive linemen during this draft, instead we got 0. If it wasn't for the UDFA Alaric Jackson, the complaints might have even been louder. While Tutu received the bulk of the acrimony, this should have been reserved for McSnead. McVay's non use of Atwell bordered on irresponsibility, almost like he was punishing the guy for some reason, it just didn't make sense. We know that T.A.'s size is a liability, but his speed & hands are not, ... at the time the Rams must have had a good reason for taking him where they did. If he can remain upright, the kid has an NFL future.

jmo.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Avenger,
Agree with your points. Having said that have you noticed that it's much more fun to excoriate and criticize the FO than to have to admit that they got something right?
Just an observation.

Btw what's the weather look like for Monday night in Green Bay?
Rest assured that I and your Rams Family will be thinking about you all wrapped up nice and cozy in our warm homes.
We do, however, appreciate your efforts on our behalf of cheering on the Rams. Somebody's got to do it...and who better at this time of year than a guy from Florida??

~ArkyRamsFan~
I will be wearing a Cooper Kupp jersey. My son will be wearing a Jalen Ramsey jersey. I believe their numbers may represent the high and low temperatures!

Did I mention I'm from FLORIDA!!!!!

(Oh, the things I do for this team!)

Tano

Legend
I will be wearing a Cooper Kupp jersey. My son will be wearing a Jalen Ramsey jersey. I believe their numbers may represent the high and low temperatures!

Did I mention I'm from FLORIDA!!!!!

(Oh, the things I do for this team!)
The Low for Monday is 9 degrees in Green Bay and the high for Monday is a blistering 18 degrees

And that is Fahrenheit not Centigrade :explode1:

So Stafford vs Skowronek

That's going to be "excuse the language" fucking cold

Edit - at least it's not Tuesday 5 vs 16

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We didn't like it when the Rams didn't trade more picks for a player or two we thought could help. I hear the Panthers rejected their offer of multiple picks. Either way, we're glad it didn't happen. There was no player or two players that was gonna come in and turn this season around.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We were definitely right with OBJ and Miller.

Both outstanding players, but in both cases an argument can be made their best football is behind them. Contracts to those type of players generally don’t work out well.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Tutu was the wrong pick. They had an injured and average center. They could have a very good and healthy center. Instead they used a second round pick on a fifth receiver that is used once or twice a game when the team is healthy. Bad return on investment.

Miller? The Rams were right to not have outbid the Bills. They were right to want him back though. The edge defense and pass rush were terrible this year. I don’t recall anyone saying they should have upped their offer.

OBJ - They we’re right to sign Robinson as insurance. I don’t think many fans questioned the decision. But they were also right to let it play out. If they were in contention and he was healthy by November then he would have been a great addition for the playoffs. They had no idea if he’d be healthy or that he’d want the moon.

In general fans aren’t ruing any decision but the Atwell pick which is still justified

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mostly agree regarding those 3 players. The biggest surprise is Atwell. I now think he’s really legit. I wasn’t in that camp earlier. You make some good points.

We could have used Von, I think the cold is shortening his career like I thought it would. I can’t say if he had stayed he’d be injured. But we got BWags so that has helped.

OBJ brings swagger. I like him in the locker room as much as on the field. It just wasn’t going to be this year. It will be interesting to see what happens to his future.

(Highjacking your thread here) AND: When did Skow learn how to catch like that?! He and Tutu and VJ had quite the night last Thursday. Baker throws a nice catchable ball, I’m sure that helps.

Ramlife

Rookie
Name
Bill

Great post..

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

On OBJ, I think his knee is just not ready, and the Rams knew it. Smart not to sign him until it is.

On Miller, while you are correct to say there was no way to know he'd get injured, it was certainly one concern I had, given his age. I doubt I'm alone in this. He's been playing football a long time and is at the point where the body breaks down more. That alone was enough to put a cap on what the Rams would pay him, and I'm glad they stuck to their guns. His injury in Buffalo has shown us what could have gone wrong had we taken the same gamble as them, but now it's the Bills who have to deal with the financial fallout, not the Rams.

On Tutu, I'm glad he's starting to prove us doubters wrong, and if there is a silver lining in the cloud that is this season, he's going to get a lot of reps going down the stretch. That will be invaluable for showing what he can do and getting him experience. Benny Skow is going to get a lot of reps too. I'm hoping their continued development has the wheels spinning in McVay's head and that he'll develop a lot of different packages with different WR combos, because we have a pretty diverse set right now. And doing that, McVay's offense could overwhelm a defense by simply giving them too many options to defend.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
(Highjacking your thread here) AND: When did Skow learn how to catch like that?! He and Tutu and VJ had quite the night last Thursday. Baker throws a nice catchable ball, I’m sure that helps.

There were some highlights of him when he was still playing for the Hunchbacks of him making some contested catches. One in particular stood out in my mind, he and a DB were fighting for a ball in the end zone, and the DB had a pretty good handle on it, but Skow just ripped it out of his hands like a purse snatcher on steroids. I was sold then.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On OBJ, I think his knee is just not ready, and the Rams knew it. Smart not to sign him until it is.

On Miller, while you are correct to say there was no way to know he'd get injured, it was certainly one concern I had, given his age. I doubt I'm alone in this. He's been playing football a long time and is at the point where the body breaks down more. That alone was enough to put a cap on what the Rams would pay him, and I'm glad they stuck to their guns. His injury in Buffalo has shown us what could have gone wrong had we taken the same gamble as them, but now it's the Bills who have to deal with the financial fallout, not the Rams.

On Tutu, I'm glad he's starting to prove us doubters wrong, and if there is a silver lining in the cloud that is this season, he's going to get a lot of reps going down the stretch. That will be invaluable for showing what he can do and getting him experience. Benny Skow is going to get a lot of reps too. I'm hoping their continued development has the wheels spinning in McVay's head and that he'll develop a lot of different packages with different WR combos, because we have a pretty diverse set right now. And doing that, McVay's offense could overwhelm a defense by simply giving them too many options to defend.
Well said.