Way too early look at the Raiders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'd like to get a discussion started about our opening opponent. I think the soon to be Las Vegas Raiders are a formidable opponent.

The offense is looking good on paper. I think Jordy Nelson still has something left in the tank and will give Carr experience on the outside. Amari Cooper is still a beast. He gave Peters a run for his money last year. Jared Cook can be a threat down the seam but we all know about his work ethic. They traded for Martavius Bryant. He's a major deep threat and can beat anyone off the line. Probably my biggest fear when we play them.

The defense is a different story. They struggled pretty bad last year and haven't added much. Khalil Mack is obviously awesome. Whitworth and Havenstein will need to be on top of their game to handle him. Other then that I think we can burn that secondary all night long.

Last but not least, Chucky is back in town. Its been a long time since he coached but I'm sure he will want to hand his protege an L. Overall I think it will be a battle and a high scoring game.

My early prediction: Rams 38-24

Thoughts?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They were 6-10 last year for a reason. Carr is a decent QB and has some OK weapons but this Rams D is going to overwhelm them.

2016 was a good year, they seemed to rise up but then they fell right back down.

That franchise is a train wreck and I know they are hoping Gruden can bring it back. He's got his QB, but there is a LOT of work to do there.

When do they officially move to LV?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure about this one to be honest, they look like they could be a legit team, BUT, the Rams look like the real deal.

There are 3 things that I'm going to be looking at in great detail:

1. What I'm interested to observe in this game is HOW coach McVay does, coaching against Gruden - can he out smart him? I sure hope so, but I think this is the game where we see what he's achieved.

2. Our Madden-esque D. Will it live up to the hype? It has the potential to DESTROY any Offense in the NFL.

3. Will AD99 show up?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My early prediction: Rams 38-24
"IF!" the score is this^ close, it will be due to a "Garbage time TD by the Raiders! JMHO!
The Raiders will not be ready for "Prime Time" at the beginning of the Season!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
1. What I'm interested to observe in this game is HOW coach McVay does, coaching against Gruden - can he out smart him? I sure hope so, but I think this is the game where we see what he's achieved.

That's a good question..........and I think he has the upper hand on Gruden because of the talent and weapons. It really gives him an edge, lets see how he uses it!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Jon Gruden will be the Raiduh's Jeff Fisher. That's my prediction.

I can also see this quite easily. The raiders will regret that 10 year deal.

My only concern going into this game is that it is opening day. The raiders have the entire off season to prepare for this game and there's no tape yet on the gruden-esque raiders. If this was a game during the season and there was only a week to prepare, I'd say it has blowout written all over it.

I'm hoping it still does. We'll be able to hear the collective groan of realization from raider nation from coast to coast.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

My only concern going into this game is that it is opening day. The raiders have the entire off season to prepare for this game and there's no tape yet on the gruden-esque raiders. If this was a game during the season and there was only a week to prepare, I'd say it has blowout written all over it.

I'm hoping it still does. We'll be able to hear the collective groan of realization from raider nation from coast to coast.
We will play them the 2nd game of Pre Season, so we'll get a small glance at Gruden's Team before we meet up in Game 1 of the Regular Season!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Look for the raiduhs to crank up each season with the speed and precision of the Fisher Ram teams... aka - they'll basically limp out under prepared. Then, drastic changes and finger pointing at coordinators/players will happen around week 4.

Don't forget that McVay worked under Jon (and Jay for that matter) for a very long time. He knows the Grudens better than anyone I bet. Sean probably knows Jon and his coaching tactics better than Jon does at this point.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
The difference will be our secondary vs their WRs as opposed to their secondary vs our boys. It's almost not fair.. Almost. :sneaky:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Last year they had poor coordination on offense and some poor offseason moves heading into the season (douchenozzles like TE Cook who we know well and RB Lynch), not to mention a defense that IMO didn't live up to the sum of its parts.

But I think this year is going to be a little different. They have a very strong staff now. Still not an elite team, but we're going to be in for a dogfight in week one. Rams should win it, but treat it like a playoff game and be ready for the Raiders to bring it.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
already got 2 $100 bets with guys at work. it will be the RAMS year this season.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not a pushover team for sure, still a few months away from opening week but it'll depend on injuries for both teams; we've been lucky to avoid the injury bug all of last season and now it seems our depth players are taking the hit. Hopefully no key starters get injured during OTAs and preseason.

Ram65

Legend
Gruden's first draft was interesting. Taking players earlier than and some risky picks. Hearst and Key on defense could be stars. They have some good WRs and like the video says if Carr is healthy he should have a bounce back season. I think they come out fired up for Gruden's comeback game at home. Gruden has been involved with the game so I'm not sure he is out of touch like Fisher was and is.

https://www.cbssports.com/general/video/draft-analysis-grading-the-raiders/

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When do they officially move to LV?
I think 2020....but it's up to the stadium gods...

I think the Raiders have stuff to work with....nice line...on offense....weapons...RB....it's the defense that'll be something to watch.

Gruden schooled Mcvay....I wanted Gruden...and I really love what McVay is/has done here. Gruden has learned from every team in the NFL as an announcer....

There are no EASY wins at this point of the season....they'll be ready to play...we better be too.