Watkins Vs Beckham - Who would you take now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

who would you take

• Total voters

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Alright now that they have a season behind them granted both were slowed by injuries, who would you draft?

I took each of their 4 best games and posted the stats below. I believe we have seen enough to make a fair or if not at least interesting assessment.
First Up the gifted and consensus # 1 going into the Draft.... Sammy Watkins

C TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD
8 11 117 14.6 30 1
9 14 122 13.6 26 2
3 6 157 52.3 84 1
7 12 127 18.1 35 0

Now the guy who really surprised me and a lot of people with just how athletic he really is Love or Hate him the Dude has all the tools.... Odell Beckham

8 11 156 19.5 55 0
10 11 146 14.6 43 2
8 12 148 18.5 80 2
12 21 185 15.4 63 1
Why 4 games ? seemed like a fair sample size.
How did I decide parameters? I chose 4 highest yard totals.

I read the sticky and did a search with Sammy Watkins vs Odell Beckham and nothing came up.
I felt this thread warrants the main page over the Draft page due to the question who ( Ram Fans would you draft )
Sorry If it is reposted or in the wrong place.

Last edited:

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Hey, they are in the NFL, I would think that warrants being able to talk about them in this section. I'm going with Watkins still. Eli Manning has a tendency to make seemingly awesome WRs that simply fade away all to quickly. I think the jury is still out on Beckham

WestCoastRam

Legend
Beckham. Really only concerned that he'll be an injury issue. Took him awhile to get over the hammy at the beginning of the year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

jjab360

Legend
Watkins is a good receiver but Beckham is already an elite receiver, a category that no rookie has touched since Randy Moss. Everything Watkins can do, Beckham does better.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
A Rams forum is a bad place to give praise to such a thug after what that piece of shit tried to pull against us this year.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@HE WITH HORNS Agreed Bro but hey it's the off season and things to talk about get repetitive also this was a huge topic last year at Combine and draft time and hey we play with a bit of spunk ourselves.......just a bit.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Anyone think that maybe...just maybe...the QB (or lack thereof) might have just a little bitty teensy weeny bit to do with this comparison?

Jesus Christ people. :palm:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone think that maybe...just maybe...the QB (or lack thereof) might have just a little bitty teensy weeny bit to do with this comparison?

Jesus Christ people. :palm:

No.

1305 yards and 12 TDs in 12 games as a rookie. That's 109 yards and a TD PER GAME. The QB didn't make the difference here. It's an excuse.

Would Watkins have produced more with Eli? Yea. Would he have done what Beckham Jr. did? No.

Those are Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss/Jerry Rice/Isaac Bruce/Torry Holt/etc. type numbers. And he did that as a rookie.

I don't see how any person could pick Watkins unless you don't like OBJ. And some people don't. Hell, I don't like the guy...but I'm not going to be biased against him here.

He was otherworldly good as a rookie.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No.

1305 yards and 12 TDs in 12 games as a rookie. That's 109 yards and a TD PER GAME. The QB didn't make the difference here. It's an excuse.

Would Watkins have produced more with Eli? Yea. Would he have done what Beckham Jr. did? No.

Those are Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss/Jerry Rice/Isaac Bruce/Torry Holt/etc. type numbers. And he did that as a rookie.

I don't see how any person could pick Watkins unless you don't like OBJ. And some people don't. Hell, I don't like the guy...but I'm not going to be biased against him here.

He was otherworldly good as a rookie.

I don't know how you can be so certain Watkins couldn't have done the same with Eli. He put up good numbers with horrible QB play most of the year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know how you can be so certain Watkins couldn't have done the same with Eli. He put up good numbers with horrible QB play most of the year.

Because Eli Manning isn't Jesus Christ. He's not even Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or Peyton Manning. Do you know how many WRs have averaged 100+ yards and 1+ TD per game in the Super Bowl era? Three. Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, and Odell Beckham Jr.

Terrell Owens and Jerry Rice were both 1 TD away from being in that club.

Watkins put up "good" numbers. Beckham Jr. put up unheard of numbers. That doesn't change because you went from a below average QB to an above average QB.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have to agree with the like QB's would still result in a ODB choice here. To pick SW you have to what and what if for ODB he just needs to do what he has proven he can. Remember he is a first year WR a position people on this forum see as usually a 3 year plan.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If ODB was taken @ #2 most of the followers of Mike Mayok would've crucified Les Snead for an "epic stupid reach".

You take Sammy Watkins. He was the top WR last year at this time.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Beckham, and he was one of the reasons why I argued about not picking Watkins. I didn't see a big talent separation, like we saw with AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, and Julio Jones. At the combine, Beckham looked like the best receiver there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not a fair comparison...Why you say? The QUARTERBACKS are totally different...But for the sake of argument, I'd go with Odell...dude competes for contested balls like a veteran.