Washington who?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I got a text from my buddy today saying a federal court ruled the Redskins name as offensive to Indians, and they will be changing the name soon. Anyone have any info on this?

Personally, I could not be more sick of this kindergarten country we live in. Everybody gets offended by every little thing now. If I was a teacher the only class I would teach is how not to be a baby back bitch 101.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I got a text from my buddy today saying a federal court ruled the Redskins name as offensive to Indians, and they will be changing the name soon. Anyone have any info on this?

Personally, I could not be more sick of this kindergarten country we live in. Everybody gets offended by every little thing now. If I was a teacher the only class I would teach is how not to be a baby back bitch 101.

Well, Redskin is a derogatory term for Native Americans. It's equilivent to the N word to African Americans.

What I don't agree with is forcing the team to change the name. They should come up with a new name and be given plenty of time to do so and implement the change. But if the court rules, then it's part of the American justice system. You have to respect it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, Redskin is a derogatory term for Native Americans. It's equilivent to the N word to African Americans.

What I don't agree with is forcing the team to change the name. They should come up with a new name and be given plenty of time to do so and implement the change. But if the court rules, then it's part of the American justice system. You have to respect it.
No, no it's not. You know why? You're saying Redskin. You won't even say the "N word". If you're trying to determine what the worse word is, and you won't even say one of them, that's probably it. It's completely ridiculous to even think about changing a name because a couple people don't like it.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
No, no it's not. You know why? You're saying Redskin. You won't even say the "N word". If you're trying to determine what the worse word is, and you won't even say one of them, that's probably it. It's completely ridiculous to even think about changing a name because a couple people don't like it.

You're probably right that one is worse than the other. But, I don't have any Native American friends to gauge their feelings on the issue. I know what I've read, but don't have anyone to tell me straight up how it makes them feel.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
But if the court rules, then it's part of the American justice system. You have to respect it.

Respect the justice system??? Our own Justice department doe snot even respect the laws and our justice system, but that is a story for another day and forum...I digress.

Reality is with the way political correctness is taking over this country soon teams named after animals will be considered to be insensitive. Or other caricatures of people like Cowboys, Texans. or Giants? Giants could be construed as being insensitive to tall people. Can you imagine the New York Midgets? Or how about a team named the Houston Mexican's? That would not be acceptable, but Texan's is? No different, just a name describing people based on their geography, but shows you how some names are considered not politically correct despite how innocuous they really are.

BTW, I bet midget football is not even considered appropriate nowadays for youth football, but that is what we called it 30 years ago.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The court ruling just took away their trademark protections. It doesn't mean they have to change it - but if they want to sell merchandise that no one else can sell, then they probably should.

But it's getting appealed ...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
No different, just a name describing people based on their geography, but shows you how some names are considered not politically correct despite how innocuous they really are.

So, when we settled in this country, we basically committed genocide to the Native Americans. And to say sorry for it, we gave them their own land, and government handouts. Now we have a team that is a derogatory word for that people and you compare it to teams with geographical locations?

There have been other teams that have lost their logos for far less than the Redskins. Frankly, it's a miracle it's lasted this long.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Let it change. I'm all for history, but society is changing, its not stopping and its not a bad thing. If they don't change it, I won't cry, and if they do I won't either.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I don't know how to feel about this. The Redskins were established 83 years ago. Why has this issue come to forefront?
I can see how this might be offensive though to people with Native American heritage. If the team was named the blackskins or the brownskins the name would have been changed decades ago.

Change is difficult to handle. Many college teams have already been forced to change their names. I read that the Florida State Seminoles talk to the local tribes and help them occasionally so they are on good terms with the name. Maybe the Redskins could do something like that if they truly want to keep it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I have read stories where many Native Americans have no issue with the name because they look at it as being a symbol and being proud of their heritage. Now I can see people taking more of an issue with the Cleveland Indians logo, not sure if they still use the same one, but that logo was a very stereo typical-like cartoonish character of an Indian. The Redskin logo to me is of a proud American Indian or as we say today a Native American. Not derogatory at all. A classic depiction of Native Americans.

My basic point is though this country is getting to to point where you can cause a stir about just about anything by claiming you are somehow injured or offended by a name or phrase. Sure, this is more legit than most, but my goodness why is everyone so touchy?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You're probably right that one is worse than the other. But, I don't have any Native American friends to gauge their feelings on the issue. I know what I've read, but don't have anyone to tell me straight up how it makes them feel.
I do! and it's "Silly white man BS!"
How Long have the Washington Redskins, been called the "RedSkins" !? And when did the complaints start!? POLITICALLY CORRECT BS!!

69superbowl

Rookie
They could just go back to the "Braves." But, that might tick people off as well. What else does DC have to offer?

The:

Washington Monuments
Washington Institutions
Washington Washingtons
Washington Veteos
DC Hawks

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
BTW, Our local HS's nickname is the Indian's...they want to change it to Big Red....ridiculous.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that the best name to represent DC would be something like the Washington Criminals or the DC Pirates.
To me the word redskins is no worse than calling someone black or white.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I know it's hard to avoid due to the context of this topic but let's not let it become overly political or this thread will be locked. What they should do is poll ALL American Indians who are willing to vote and let the majority decide.

jjab360

Legend
I think that the best name to represent DC would be something like the Washington Criminals or the DC Pirates.
To me the word redskins is no worse than calling someone black or white.
Seriously? No offense, but that's pretty ignorant..

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Really? What do you think the word means? Am I not reading enough bias into it?

beej

Rookie
I don't have a dog in this race because I don't care, but if you ever look up the origins of the word, the native americans were the first to use it to describe themselves. I'm not sure how it ever came to be derogatory. They called caucasions, white skins, or pale faces or what not. They called Jesuit priests "Black Robes". They called themselves red skins as a means of referring to all the tribes collectively.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they shoud be able to retain some form of the old name...

How about Foreskins?

WAIT! Never mind... anyone that's a dick will probably be offended.