Warren Sharp ranks Rams O Line upper mid pack

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Talent is there but there are pundits and fans that want to see Jackson do it again. Big Rob has to play well and we've seen Avila play center but not in the NFL. I think the Rams are one of the teams on his list that end up higher than their preseason ranking but I get the pundits will want to see it unfold.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The interior of our OL, guard to guard, is probably top 5 in the league. I say probably instead of surely because that requires our new LG to be healthy and fit through the season, and because there is some question with our excellent young LG from last season moving to the pivot.

Where they start to fall off a bit is when you rack and stack them on the edges. Hav is above average as a RT, but his weakness to speed rushes keeps him from being elite among his peers. Jackson is similar, strong vs power rushers like Bosa but speed is his concern. Now the strength of the interior should help both of them in that regard, because a pocket for the QB to step up in hurts speed rushers.

If I had to rank them I'd put them around 10. And 13 is on the low end I think of where they will end up being, quite a bit lower than I expect them to end up. 13 is basically middle of the pack range, and I expect the Rams line will be significantly better than average.

methomas50

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
O Line in particular is one of those units where coaching can make the whole better than the sum of its parts. It happened last year and I believe it will happen again this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Talent is there but there are pundits and fans that want to see Jackson do it again. Big Rob has to play well and we've seen Avila play center but not in the NFL. I think the Rams are one of the teams on his list that end up higher than their preseason ranking but I get the pundits will want to see it unfold.
Kool Aid hater!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If the Rams can run when ever they want our edge protection will look a lot better. That means they are going to have to run some on long down and distance. That was one of the reasons Detroit was so good on O.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Talk is cheap. Talking heads get paid to talk, run their mouths and make their lists.
Then the real season starts and the Rams smack some mouths, then Baldy will make some cool videos of us steam rolling fools.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
The other Sharp Football rankings (by Ryan Mccrystal):

QB- 9

WR&TE - 9

RB - 18

Front Seven - 24

Secondary - 22

Head Coach - 4 (TIED WITH DAN CAMPBELL)

-----

Edit: Rams Draft Class Overview:

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I cannot believe somebody gets paid to make these lists when they are so unknowledgeable. At least do a LITTLE homework. They have the jets at #6?
Cmon, man!

Koolaid
Hi-C
Hawaiian Punch…
Do they still make that stuff?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think there is a lot of wait and see as far as how Avila will shake out at center. That is not an easy transition, I don't care what anyone says. I know he played some C in college, but he will have his work cut out for him this year. I expect him to do well, I just think a lot of the "analysts" are more skeptical....

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think the middle of the Rams OL will be solid, the real questions are on the tackle positions verses speed rushers. However, I believe TEs and RBs will be able to provide some assistance on the edges to provide Stafford time to find and open receiver.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The interior of our OL, guard to guard, is probably top 5 in the league. I say probably instead of surely because that requires our new LG to be healthy and fit through the season, and because there is some question with our excellent young LG from last season moving to the pivot.

Where they start to fall off a bit is when you rack and stack them on the edges. Hav is above average as a RT, but his weakness to speed rushes keeps him from being elite among his peers. Jackson is similar, strong vs power rushers like Bosa but speed is his concern. Now the strength of the interior should help both of them in that regard, because a pocket for the QB to step up in hurts speed rushers.

If I had to rank them I'd put them around 10. And 13 is on the low end I think of where they will end up being, quite a bit lower than I expect them to end up. 13 is basically middle of the pack range, and I expect the Rams line will be significantly better than average.
I agree and have the exact same opinion.

Avila moving the centre should work. It is his natural position apparently. But who knows. It's not a guarantee until he does it at the NFL level. Making calls at the NFL level is different too.

Jackson at LT is good, but not elite. It's never ideal to have your "weak link" at LT protecting the QB's blind side (I put weak link in quotes, because I quite like AJ, and he is more than capable).

At RT, Hav very good. But again, not elite. And he's getting older. Who knows how long it lasts. Does he play forever at a high level like Whitworth? Or fall off a cliff one day?

Even Jackson on the interior has some question marks.

Doctson? Let's see him do it again. I am very confident in him but his sample size isn't spectacular.

All in all this unit has potential to be among the best groups in the NFL IMO, but placing them higher than 10ish right now probably isn't fair.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd rank them higher. But I get it. Still not sure about our left tackle. New left guard is good but still new to the system. Center hasn't played the position in the NFL yet.

Rankings are subjective. Different people will rank them higher or lower. I think they have a chance to be pretty good at some point. There is only one change to personnel but two changes to positions. Will the chemistry be good from the start? Or will they need time?