War Ram Eagle: Rams Celebrate their Auburn Connections

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
War Ram Eagle: St. Louis Rams celebrate their Auburn connections
By Mark Inabinett

http://blog.al.com/sports_impact/print.html?entry=/2015/04/war_ram_eagle_st_louis_rams_ce.html

The St. Louis Rams' rallying cry during the 2014 NFL season could have been "War Ram Eagle." Running back Tre Mason and offensive lineman Greg Robinson emerged as starters during their rookie seasons out of Auburn, and St. Louis had former Tigers Daren Bates and Will Herring in its linebacking corps and leading the special teams. Former Auburn receiver Emory Blake was on the Rams' practice squad.

Since the end of the season, St. Louis has added to its Auburn contingent by signing defensive tackle Nick Fairley as a free agent. St. Louis general manager Les Snead played at Auburn, too.

After exploring the Rams' connection to the Alabama Crimson Tide last month, the team's official web site looked at its Auburn connection this week with a video focused on Mason and Robinson and featuring insight from Brandon Marcello of AL.com.

Mason and Robinson entered the NFL after leading Auburn to the BCS national championship game, where the Tigers came within seconds of winning their second national crown in four seasons before falling to Florida State 34-31.

Mason rushed for 1,816 yards during 2013 to break Bo Jackson's school single-season record of 1,786 yards, established during his 1985 Heisman Trophy campaign.

"Since he's one of the most famous athletes to ever walk this Earth, it just feels surreal to me that I did that, and that I'll be mentioned in the same sentence and categories as him," Mason told Myles Simmons, the Rams Insider for the team's web site. "Just to take that record over is crazy and surreal."

The Rams used the second choice in the 2014 NFL Draft on Robinson, then selected Mason in the third round. The former Tigers' collegiate success didn't immediately translate in the NFL.

With former No.1 draft pick Jake Long at left offensive tackle, St. Louis groomed Robinson to start his pro career at left guard, but he played sparingly until getting his first start in the fifth game of the season. After Robinson started three games at guard, Long suffered a season-ending knee injury. Robinson shifted into the open spot, and the Rams plan for him to stay there in 2015.

Mason played even less than Robinson in the first four games - as in none. But he led the Rams in rushing yards in each of the final 12 games of the season, finishing with 765 and making the Pro Football Writers of America's All-Rookie team.

"We just stayed focused," Mason said after he and Robinson became regulars last season. "We just sat down a lot, like we always do. That's my brother. Blood couldn't even make us closer. So we sat down and he said, 'Control what we can control, and patience is a virtue.' And it's proven."

In 2012, Robinson and Mason played on a 3-9 Auburn team. In 2013, Auburn went 12-2. St. Louis had a 6-10 record in 2014 and hasn't had a winning season since 2003. The former Tigers aim to break that streak.

"I'm a hard worker," Robinson said. "I'm someone that don't like to lose. I'm a guy that will go on the field and give it my all."

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Love these fluff articles this time of year. Everyone is a future star in the making and the team is a future superbowl contender.