Waldron Expects Gurley to Continue Improving as Dual-Threat Running Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Waldron Expects Gurley to Continue Improving as Dual-Threat Running Back

jdcwukacvw3l4skqrn6x.jpg

When running back Todd Gurley first joined the Rams in 2015, it was clear what strengths he would bring to the franchise. In his time at Georgia, Gurley made a name for himself as a dynamic rusher who provided a rare blend of power and speed.

And while he continues to demonstrate both skills as one of the top running backs in the league, last season proved that Gurley can bring more to the table than just his abilities as a rusher.

In 2017, Gurley recorded 64 receptions for 788 yards and six touchdowns — nearly doubling his production from the previous two seasons combined.

And now, as he gets set to enter his second season under head coach Sean McVay, Gurley is ready to continue developing as a true dual-threat running back.

“There’s always room for improvement,” Gurley said recently, “but my main focus is to help the team as much as possible. Focus on running the ball and the routes will take care of themselves.”

Throughout the offseason, passing game coordinator Shane Waldron said the team made a point to have all five running backs go through drills with the receivers. By doing so, Gurley and the rest of the room will have more opportunities to compete in both the running and passing game.

But Gurley in particular has taken that emphasis one step further.

After each practice, the running back can often be found catching passes at the jugs machine — a habit that has helped him to improve his individual receiving abilities, in addition to the route-running he does with the rest of the team.

And for that reason, Waldron is confident that Gurley will continue to improve as a receiver in 2018. Although, admittedly, he was unsure of just how much better the Georgia product could be after such a stellar 2017.

“Man, he’s pretty good right now,” Waldron said with a laugh. “But the one thing with Todd is you see him everyday, he does all that stuff like a pro. So I think like anything else, even though he is one of the greatest in the world at what he does, his work ethic and [with] what he puts into it in getting those extra reps, I think he can do nothing but improve.”

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is where I expect the offense to diversify somewhat as in the playoff game, the Falcons took away Gurley in the passing game and the offense seem to suffocate, if lack for a better word. Tight Ends will need to be more involved to offset this as well as taking more deep shots down the field.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I remember watching Gurley's GA highlights, and saw how effortlessly he caught passes, and got excited about his potential in our passing game. He only had a few on tape but I could tell he could be special. Fisher would never use him for anything more than screen passes, yawn. The wheel route against Dallas was a dagger, but I think we can split him out wide even more like Martz did with Marshall.
Den, the Falcs could afford to take away Gurley because we had no deep ball threat. But now we're Cooking with gas bro. With TG sitting in with the WRs, I expect McVay will get even more creative with his routes.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I think this offense will be at a whole new level this year.

Sean McVay is not the mosquito infested still, swampy water. He is the gushing, flowing, ever changing rapids. Changing the landscape of the league.

The 2018 offense will have many of the same players as 2017, yet have its own stamp. Its own personality. Infusing new weapons, (Cooks, Kelly) growing the roles of others (Everett, Higbee, Kupp) and nurturing the growth of established talent (Goff, Woods, Gurley). We may even see a surprise weapon emerge (Hemingway? Reynolds?)

One thing we know. It’s going to be fun. Nothing is guaranteed. But we know this. While we are riding the class 5 rapids of this dynamic offense, somewhere in Montana there is probably a fisher-man casting his line into a familiar, still body of water.
“Hand me that mosquito spray, would you, Brandon?”

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Marshall Faulk's ability to line up, run complex routes like a WR opened up a plethora of plays for the Rams offense and caused coverage headaches for DC's. LB's were no match for Faulk.

Gurley has almost the same ability. Wouldn't surprise me to see Gurley get over 1,000 yds receptions this year.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Marshall Faulk's ability to line up, run complex routes like a WR opened up a plethora of plays for the Rams offense and caused coverage headaches for DC's. LB's were no match for Faulk.

Gurley has almost the same ability. Wouldn't surprise me to see Gurley get over 1,000 yds receptions this year.

One of my bold statements for 2018 is that 3 RBs will hit the 1000 mark in no the rushing and receiving, and, of xourse, Gurley will be one of them.

Other candidates are

Johnson
Bell
Elliott
Kimora
Fournette
Hunt

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Todd Gurley is rare and special . That's all you can say about this guy

His highlights from college are ridiculous , what he did last year was jaw dropping. He should of been the MVP, I would love to see the receivers he beat in yards last season.

He is the best athlete in the NFL in my opinion, not many guys his size can torch cornerbacks or run routes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is where I expect the offense to diversify somewhat as in the playoff game, the Falcons took away Gurley in the passing game and the offense seem to suffocate, if lack for a better word. Tight Ends will need to be more involved to offset this as well as taking more deep shots down the field.

Agreed. And I think Goff being in year two and the addition of Cooks will immediately make the Rams' offense better in a game like that, but we definitely need that TE group to step up to where they at least offer a significant threat over the middle, which will impact any scheme where they want to sell out to remove Gurley.

The TEs are going to be a big focus for me come camp for that reason. I expect good things from Everett in year two, and maybe some improvement from Higs as well. But it's going to be crucial to get that improvement for this group to field an offense that can avoid what happened last year in the playoffs.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
How much more CAN he improve? If anything, I would not be surprised if his #s dip a bit because defenses will have to sell out to stop him. It's tough to beat the Rams if Gurley gets off. If anything, I expect our WR/TE group to have an even bigger year this season.

I predict at least one pro bowler from that group as a result of the terror of Todd Gurley.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Beating Faulk's combined 1381 rushing yards and 1048 receiving yards in his 4'th year would send a message to the league.