Wagoner, mailbag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Kevin, Redding Ca.
12:49 PM CT
Nick, I really like the signing of Steve Smith.I think he could be a very productive addition and a bargain. A lot of fans seem to be upset that we haven't signed a big name receiver. I believe our three youngsters(Alexander,Salas,Pettis) have a lot of upside.If we concentrate on solidifying the o-line and keeping Bradford healthy and on his feet,he will make them all better.If we can bring back Amendola plus Kendricks at TE, I think we will be in good shape. Thoughts?

WAGONER:
I think there is some potential with the WRs on the roster but I still think it's imperative to add play makers in the draft. The OL could use some fixes, certainly, but play makers remain the top need in my opinion.

Gateway Rich, St Louis, MO
12:50 PM CT
Nick: Out of curiosity what is Mark Clayton's contractual status and health status? Do you think he will ever play again in the NFL? Thanks!

WAGONER:
He is a free agent. I've seen him a couple times this offseason and he says he's feeling pretty good. He wants to play but I don't know if he'll get that chance here or elsewhere.

Arturo, Tampico, Mexico
12:52 PM CT
Hello Nick; Thank you for taking my question/comment. I was wondering if Jason Smith has a real chance to become a solid Player. Everybody around the league nobody give him a chance but my personal opinion is that he may have lost his confidence because the talent level is suposed to be elite. What is your opinion on him?

WAGONER:
I think the physical ability is there. But he has to stay healthy first and foremost and he has to want to be good. I think this coaching staff can draw some of that out of him and I think he's going to at least get a chance to prove himself.

stuart, scotland
12:53 PM CT
nick,the rams opponents are in place for next season but are there any dates for these games yet?i came over to new york last season to watch the rams playing and next season i fancy the tampa game,i also get the wembley game so its all good for me.

WAGONER:
The schedule will be released in April, usually around draft time.

Gateway Rich, St Louis, MO
12:54 PM CT
Nick: How is Josh Hull doing these days? Do you think he will stay on the roster for 2012? If so in what role? Thanks!

WAGONER:
He's doing well, coming along just fine. He'll be around in camp and get a shot to earn a roster spot.

John, Ohio
12:55 PM CT
Hi Nick, thanks for taking my questions....I am assuming you are getting a lot of questions regarding the suspension of Gregg Williams so I thought I would ask something different. With the first 3 picks and with the caveat that you cannot combine the options. Would you rather have option (1) Justin Blackom, Zack Brown, and Jerel Worthy or option (2) Morris Claiborne, Alshon Jeffrey, and Mike Adams? My choice is option 2 but I wanted your thoughts. Also what do you think are the chances that we sign Albert Haynesworth to an incentive laden deal after the draft is over, I lean towards 75/25.

WAGONER:
I'd choose option 1, in a landslide. I love Claiborne but not too high on Jeffrey or Adams. I think that would be a little high for Brown but Blackmon and Worthy would be excellent choices at those spots. I think you're probably in the ballpark RE: Haynesworth but it's hard to predict if he's even going to want to play and whether the Rams will have other additions made by then at that position, which would affect his status.

Pam, Boise
12:57 PM CT
Hello Nick! Any indication of where the team is heading in the draft? Keep it or move down, I say keep it take the best athlete available! Any of the top six are great players. Go Rams!

WAGONER:
I'd be surprised if they traded it. Not shocked but surprised.

Philip, Denmark
12:57 PM CT
Hi Nick. As I see it the consensus is that there's 6 elite talents in this draft and logic tells us that at least one of them will be available at our pick. Would you agree that theres a drop after these six guys and that this speaks against another trade down?

WAGONER:
I would agree.

Kevin, Redding Ca.
12:58 PM CT
Hi Nick, With the signings yesterday,where do we stand in relation to the salary cap?

WAGONER:
Don't have the exact number but the signings from yesterday didn't make a huge dent. I'd say the Rams have somewhere in the $4-6 million range (not counting the space reserved for draft picks).

Mike A, Godfrey IL
12:59 PM CT
With the signing on Steve Smith and the potential for the Rams to draft at least 1 receiver next month who do you think the new staff will value more of the current WR group? S. Smith, Salas, Amendola, and Pettis all have similar skill sets and Gibson and DX are below average at best.

WAGONER:
Smith, Salas and Amendola would seem to be in pretty good position. Smith's status will depend a lot on his health. The need, clearly, is for help on the outside.

Nathan, Gibson City, Il
1:00 PM CT
Thanks Nick for taking my question. When should we expect to add an olb and since we added new players, what position do you think we should focus on next. Thanks.

WAGONER:
I'd say a new addition at OLB is coming down the pipe any day now, likely from the Saints but maybe not the one you're thinking.

Tim Robi, Utica
1:01 PM CT
Steve Smith? This is the best we can do in signing a Free Agent Wide Receiver? I guess everything now depends on the Draft, and if Blackmon is gone at 6, we go another season with nobody for our young $78 million quarterback to throw to!

WAGONER:
Obviously, the receiver market dried up quick and the Rams missed on some guys they targeted at the position. But in some cases, it might be a good thing they missed. Some average players got paid like they are well above average. I understand the frustration on the wideout situation but let's let it play out before you get too upset.

White Buffalo, Ripon, CA
1:02 PM CT
Nick I like the way Coach Fisher moved on from DC Williams. Any word when the Rams might make a choice regarding who is going to be the new DC. If you know do you know what style defense we will have. Will it change from what Williams would have done. Thanks

WAGONER:
There won't be a new DC. The duties will be shared by Fisher, McGinnis and Cecil. All three have done it before. And the defense won't be much different from what Williams would have done, no. Williams' defense was born out of the brain of Fisher first and expanded from there.

White Buffalo, Ripon, CA
1:03 PM CT
Nick what do you think about the Steve Smith signing. I have not heard how many years we signed him for. Did Smith have a bad knee injury last season? Anything else in the works before the draft that us Rams fans can look forward to. Thanks.

WAGONER:
Low risk, high reward. Smith can play outside, he can play inside, he gives you some versatility. Smith's bad knee injury was two years ago and he was still dealing with the remnants of it last year. If he's going to recover, this would be the year as they say it usually takes two full years to recover from major knee surgery. We'll see if he can help out.

Jack Fenton, Windsor, Canada
1:04 PM CT
Hey, how did the interview with Dunbar go? Is there a chance we sign him? We need OLB's and he's a good choice. Thanks

WAGONER:
He's still in the mix, his addition will be price dependent. Definite interest still there.

Jack Fenton, Windsor, Canada
1:06 PM CT
Hey Nick, now that we grabbed Steve Smith. What do you think about grabbing two receivers in our top 3 picks? Blackmon and maybe Jefferey or Hill. Two of them with Smith and Amendola would suddenly make receiver a strength of the team. What do you think the odds are of that? Thanks

WAGONER:
I think that's a definite possibility. Blackmon and Hill would be a home run and potentially be perfect complements to one another if they developed properly. That said, I don't see Hill making it out of the end of round 1 and trading up for him might be a bit risky.

Brian, Ithaca, NY
1:08 PM CT
Hi Nick, Thanks again for all you do for us, but that is torture with the hint about the saints linebacker. With Illini Mike back working out shoiuld we think that the 3 deep at TE is set with Kendricks, Mike and the new guy?

WAGONER:
Sorry, wish I could give you more on it right now. I think those three would be the most likely opening day TEs as we sit here but as you know, Brian, a lot can change between now and September. And Illini Mike needs to get and stay healthy.

Tim, So-Cal
1:08 PM CT
Nick: It sounds as if Coach Fisher is not going to hire new as a defensive coordinator, but any word on wether he will add-on to the coaching staff with Williams being gone indefinately?

WAGONER:
There will not be any additions to the staff that weren't already in the works (i.e. assistant special teams coach).

old man, olney
1:09 PM CT
What is status of IlliniMike? is he under contract And can he be cut because of injury?

WAGONER:
He is under contract and recently resumed workouts. He'll be in the mix at tight end when offseason program begins.

Joseph Devito, New York
1:09 PM CT
Nick, I view the Smith signing as a non-factor. He is undersized, hurt and not very fast. The situation at wideout is now critical with most draft boards showing Blackimon not available at six. What do you think we will do?

WAGONER:
If Smith is healthy, he can still be a good player as he's still quite young. And I don't know what draft boards you look at but they aren't those that belong to NFL teams. There's a much better chance Blackmon is available than you think. Not saying it's a slam dunk but it's a definite possibility. Beyond that, GM Les Snead is on record as saying it's a very good draft class at receiver, even beyond Blackmon, Floyd, Hill, Wright, etc. The Rams will address the position as best they can. It might not be the ideal dream scenario that you all hoped for this year but keep in mind if it's not perfect after this year, the Rams enter next year flush with cash in free agency and with two first rounders each of the next two years.

Garrett, TX
1:12 PM CT
RGIII to the Panthers, I'm Callin it

WAGONER:
Cam Newton will be shocked.

Chip, Charlotte
1:12 PM CT
With the Rams signing of Steve Smith the slot position will be deep for the team this year. Do you see them spending 1st (Blackmon) and 2nd round picks on WRs who can play on the outside this year ? I really hope Kendricks and Salas can do some things in year 2..they seem to have potential.

WAGONER:
As I mentioned before, it's a possibility. But again, you don't have to panic and just try to get guys for the sake of getting guys. The Rams will be well positioned to attack the draft and free agency next year.

Kody, OH
1:13 PM CT
What Running Backs are still available to back up Steven Jackson? please tell me we are not considering Cedric Benson, watching Bengals games all year, He is awful

WAGONER:
Not much out there in free agency. I'd expect SJ's backup to come from the draft.

Don Riley , New Jersey
1:14 PM CT
I'm living about a ten minute walk from the New York Jets training facility. And across the street from the Jets Facility we used to have the New York Giants training facility during their early Super Bowl years. We've had Bret Favre, Phil Simms, Lawrence Taylor, Joe Morris and others. But, no one has created the Frenzy that Tim Tebow has created here. We're all on Tebow watch. Where is Tebow eating tonight. What is Tebow doing ? I really would never have imagined a second team quarterback could create the stir that Tim Tebow has created since he came to Florham Park/Madison. Nick how does a Second team Quarterback create a frenzy like this ? I could only imagine possibly Peyton Manning creating this type of buzz. What does Tebow - have ?

WAGONER:
The best answer I can give you is this: Polarizing. Someone like Tim Tebow, who by all accounts is a wonderful person who is committed to his religion and he's not afraid to share his beliefs. Anytime you have someone like that, people will be pulled in opposite directions on him. Add to it he was one of the most successful college QB's of all time and here we are. Well, and throw in the New York media machine. It's a funny world we live in.

Jason, STLOUIS
1:15 PM CT
What's going on with Danny Amendola? I don't know how the RFA works, Can you please explain it to me

WAGONER:
I'll boil it down for you. Amendola is a restricted free agent. The Rams want to keep him so they made him a restricted free agent tender offer (that's a one-year contract at a set price). With restricted free agents, there are different types of tenders, each would require a certain amount of money and a certain level of compensation if the team wants to let him go. IN this case, the Rams tendered him a contract at the second round level. That means if another team wants to sign him, they have to give him a huge contract offer and give the Rams a second round pick as compensation. And none of that happens if the Rams match the offer which they have the right to do. To make it simple, though, I don't think Danny Amendola is going anywhere.

Brian, Ithaca, NY
1:18 PM CT
Hey NIck, is there no chance that we bring back Cadillac, except for 2 plays I thought he played well, but the backward pass play against the g-men and the fumble against the cowgirls he was fine. Especially if he came cheap.

WAGONER:
I suppose it's possible. But at this point, I'd say unlikely.

Russ, in Phoenix
1:18 PM CT
Hey Nick! Thanks for fielding questions! . On free agency with Restricted Players: The team signing the player gives up a 1st round pick to compensate the team losing the player. What happens if the Restricted Free Agency Player signs after the Draft? Would the pick then be for the following year? If the Rams agreed with Mike Wallace WR Pittsburg, the Rams could conceivably sign Wallace to a contract with a HUGE 1st year compensation. A contract that Pittsburg could not afford; then compensate Pittsburg with the Rams 1st rounder in 2013. Keeping the Redskin's #1 in 2013 for themselves. Correct? Your thoughts?

WAGONER:
None of it matters because the last day to sign restricted free agents is April 20, before the NFL Draft.

Russ , in Phoenix
1:19 PM CT
Hey Nick! Who is invited into Rams Park for Pre-Draft workouts??? Thanks!

WAGONER:
Don't have the list of 30 yet but as we get closer, I'll try to have the names again.

Julian Felice, Gibraltar
1:20 PM CT
Hi Nick I agree with you that Blackmon could still be available at No.6. I think that Cleveland will take Richardson - they need a RB (they need many things!) and Richardson could make more of an impact more quickly, like Adrian Peterson did. Tampa Bay could take Blackmon, but they've just signed Vincent Jackson. What would your preferred outcome be, perhaps in order? I go for (1) Richardson, (2) Blackmon and (3) Claiborne.

WAGONER:
Blackmon, Claiborne, Richardson. That said, I think there's a better chance Blackmon is on the board than Richardson at No. 6.

Russ , in Phoenix
1:21 PM CT
Hello Nick! It's going to be very interesting to see if two things happen during the draft for the Rams. 1) If they stay at the #6 pick and take one of the highly regarded picks (Blackmon WR, Claiborne CB or Richardson Rcool smiley or trade down for more picks. (at least, they will probably field calls for either Tannehill QB or one of the DTs.) . 2) If they stay at #33 (1st pick of 2nd round) or trade out (up or down) of that pick. . The wild "what if" that popped into my mind was: WHAT IF the Rams chose Tannehill (ala San Diego with Eli Manning) to simply auction off his draft rights to the highest bidder. (Letting Bradford know that was the intent so he doesn't think that he's not the #1 guy). Thanks Nick!

WAGONER:
If there's one thing I can promise you WON'T happen is the Rams drafting Tannehill scenario.

Robert, Highlands Ranch, CO
1:23 PM CT
Hey Nick, last question this week from me.... Assuming we stand pat at #6 and take whomever is the best player available at that point, is there somebody else out there you think would warrant trading back into the first round for? Would our two early 2nd round picks suffice or would we have to give up a future first rounder?

WAGONER:
Assuming that player was available near the end of the first, the two seconds would likely get the job done. But it really depends on how far you're moving. I guess it's possible there's a player that could move the needle for the Rams like that but I have a feeling they'd prefer to stay where they are and get two really good players there.

1:24 PM CT
Hey Nick, I must say, if Blackmon is gone by the time we're up I'm really starting to hope that it is Claireborne that is still there. Richardson is an extremely close 2nd, but Claireborne on one side, Finnegan on the other, with our current FS's, that would be an extremely impressive defensive backfield. That would give our line and backers a big chance to wreak some havoc up front.

WAGONER:
Any of the names we keep mentioning for that pick would be excellent.

1:25 PM CT
Hey Nick, LB options in FA are pretty weak. Who are the top 3-5 OLB prospects in the draft, who would you like to see us grab, and where do you think they will be had?

WAGONER:
Some 4-3 OLB options (and keep in mind, usually these guys don't need to be drafted before round three or so: Nebraska's Lavonte David, UNC's Zach Brown, Florida State's Nigel Bradham and Miami's Sean Spence. Some of those guys are a bit on the small side and will slip a little bit but I'd say rounds 2-4 on most. One sleeper I kind of like is Arkansas State's Demario Davis.

Brian, Ithaca, NY
1:28 PM CT
Hey Nick, Doesn't it sound logical that cleveland takes Richardson with the 4th then addresses the WR position with the other first rounder later on? Leaving us Blackmon at 6.

WAGONER:
If I absolutely had to bet on a scenario playing out in the draft, this is the one I'd choose. My only concern is that Cleveland is eyeing a Blackmon at 4, Weeden at 22 or 36 combo.

1:29 PM CT
Hey Nick, if you were the GM who's the player you'd be jumping up and down for if he was still available to us at the #6 position, assuming we keep that pick?

WAGONER:
I'm really not just saying this but any of the top six players in the draft would be outstanding selections, in my opinion.

1:30 PM CT
Hey Nick, Last week you told us a couple of times to keep an eye on the website or the blog clearly alluding to something happening later that day. It never happened. Might it still happen? Very curious what that was.

WAGONER:
It happened yesterday and I apologize for the delay. It was Steve Smith signing. The deal was basically wrapped up last week but didn't get ink on paper until yesterday.

Steve, NJ
1:31 PM CT
So far the fist 3 picks i n every mock draft has been the same until I saw Baldinger's mock draft. He has Kalil going to the rams at 6. I would he happy with that but would rather have the play maker Blackmon or Richardson. Who would you rather have if you could make thepick, and what do you think the Rams would do.

WAGONER:
The way I have them ranked, Kalil is the best of the three players but I think they are all very close. My preference has been clear, I'd prefer the play maker also but Kalil would be an absolute bargain at 6.

Rams/Habs Fan, Montreal, Canada
1:32 PM CT
In your estimation, which of the following Offensive Linemen would be a better pick for the rams in the second round, Mike Adams, Zebrie Sanders or Kevin Zeitler?

WAGONER:
Zeitler. I have him as the 25th best player in the draft. He'd be a home run if you got him in round 2. And, he's basically the embodiment of a Jeff Fisher type of player: big, strong and nasty.

Xavier, USA
1:35 PM CT
Hey Nick, when is your mock draft coming? The day before the draft?

WAGONER:
Yep, I generally wait until the day before the draft to collect as much information as I can. I'm not a huge fan of mock drafts in general but I know they get a lot of readers. I might, if you all are interested, do another top 32 before then. Let me know if that's something you all would like to see.

Rams/Habs Fan, Montreal, Canada
1:36 PM CT
If Kalil gets past the Vikings at 3 (they select Blackmon, Claiborne or Richardson to replace Peterson after the operation, or trade with Miami) he probably gets past the Browns at 4, but does he get past Tampa? Is this our best-case scenario or do you suspect that the Rams have Blackmon or Claiborne rated higher on their board?

WAGONER:
If Kalil makes it past Minnesota, I'd expect him to fall to 6. But I'd also expect some teams to start looking to move up to get him before the Rams if that happened also.

Joseph Devito, New York
1:37 PM CT
Nick, with Claiborne no longer a factor at the top of the draft, there is now a greater chance Blackmon wont be there at six. I think that leaves us with two options. Either reach for Floyd or pick the best athlete available at their postion (Kuechley,Brockers or DeCasto). What do you think?

WAGONER:
Huh? I'm not understanding what you are saying about Claiborne.

Tim, Colorado
1:38 PM CT
Any thoughts on the Rams giving up a first round draft pick in 2013 for Mike Wallace?

WAGONER:
That's not possible. And can we please stop with the Mike Wallace dreaming? He's not leaving Pittsburgh.

Zach, Iowa
1:38 PM CT
wat DT's look to be available in the 2nd round to look out for the rams

WAGONER:
It's a great class of DT's. Guys that could be there in round two: Kendall Reyes, Jerel Worthy, Brandon Thompson, possibly even Devon Still.

Zach, Iowa
1:39 PM CT
If Hightower drops to the 2nd round would he be in consideration for rams. or his he only an MLB

WAGONER:
He's an MLB. I think he's a good player but I just don't see the fit unless the Rams wanted to see what Laurinaitis could do at WIL.

Zach, Iowa
1:40 PM CT
How do you feel about Harrison Smith in the 2nd round for the Rams

WAGONER:
I really like Harrison Smith but I just don't think safety is high on the list of targeted positions that early in the draft.

John, Mt. Airy Md.
1:41 PM CT
Hey Nick, I'm a big So Cal Trojan fan and watched Steve Smith for a while.I think he will be an awesome addition. Rams fans need to stop complaining about the wide reciever situation. It will fall into place.

WAGONER:
I'm just proud that we haven't had any emails thinking the Rams got the OTHER Steve Smith.

Cam, C
1:42 PM CT
Hey Nick I haven't heard anything about Albert Hanyseworth is there any truth that he might be a Ram this season?

WAGONER:
It's been discussed. But as I've written a few times, I don't think anything would happen until after the draft on that one.

fred , boise
1:42 PM CT
Hey Nick! i see in some mock drafts that Tannahill going to Cleveland, that leaves a much better field of draftees. if that played out who would you take, any after the QBS is fine with me!

WAGONER:
I'm still not sold Tannehill would go that high. If he did, I'd expect the Rams to have a choice between Blackmon and Claiborne and I'd think they go Blackmon.

Anthony, Fair Oaks, CA
1:43 PM CT
Greetings Nick...Can you please provide an injury update on Sam Bradford, Danny Amendola and Greg Salas? Have they fully recuperated and will return at full strength for the mini-camps? Also, I have mixed-feelings that the Rams sacrificed the #2 draft selection. But I have full faith in the judgements of Coach Fisher and Les Snead. On a final note, I am thrilled that the Rams will take on the Patriots in London this season. As it will provide Rams fans the opportunity to see the Rams in action. I am really happy for our friends "from across the pond", Nick.

WAGONER:
All three are doing well and expected to be ready for minicamps. I know Amendola and Bradford will be for sure. Salas might be a bit longer.

Dave Stenerson, Washington
1:45 PM CT
With so many wide good receviers in free agency why haven't the Rams gone after a noteable recevier.

WAGONER:
They went after plenty: Garcon, Meachem, Manningham, to name three. They just weren't able to land one.

Rick Seidler, Affton,Mo.
1:46 PM CT
Nick,I Recently purchased season tickets for this year because I am that excited about Jeff Fisher as the new head coach.With that said I am hoping there will be some agressive moves to replenish the receiving corp in the draft.I think they will take Blackmon with the first pick but do you think if they do get him that they will go after Stephen Hill with there first second round pick if he is still there?Blackmon,Hill and Amendola I like it.Your thoughts please

WAGONER:
As mentioned before, I do think it's possible the Rams could use two early picks on WR's. But they won't do it just for the sake of doing it. They have enough other needs that they won't pass on a better player just to take a WR.

MikeRams4Life, Rialto,Ca.
1:47 PM CT
Hi Nick, why have we not gone after any WRs in free agency? I think I speak for most Ram fans when I say I am really frustrated. And what happened with Tracy Porter? We couldve really used him opp. Finegann. I know we are a young team in the process of rebuilding for like the 10th year in a row, but a veteran wide out would not be a bad idea.

WAGONER:
Again, the Rams did pursue WRs in free agency. They just weren't able to land them. Remember, those guys have to want to come as much as you want them to.

Brian, Aurora
1:48 PM CT
Now that we are a couple of weeks into FA, are the Rams looking more at a trade for a vet wr, then FA? I know Mike Wallace is a very good young wr but his asking price is extremely high, I don't see the rams throwing that kind of money around, do you? Thanks for your time.

WAGONER:
Trades are still possible.

johns, nj
1:48 PM CT
since greg williams has been susspended are we looking for a new defensive cordinator or is jeff fisher going to assume that role...

WAGONER:
Nobody will fill that role per se. It will be a collective of Fisher, McGinnis and Cecil.

Jack Britting, Long Island
1:50 PM CT
Two thoughts and I would appreciate your comments. 1. Gregg William's suspension I think will really hurt the Rams this season. Any chance of signing a new, experienced DC? 2. I'm disappointed we did not sign a first line free agent receiver. It seems like we are putting all of our eggs into the Justin Blackmon basket, and Cleveland may select him 4th anyway? Then we still do not have any playmakers!

WAGONER:
1. No. 2. See above.

Paul Hart, Medford, oregon
1:50 PM CT
Hi again Nick, This could be a stupid question, but I have not heard anything. Is RB'S Cadillac Williams or Norwood expected back to the Rams?

WAGONER:
Not expected to return at this time. Not impossible that one or both could be looked at but I think the Rams want to get younger at RB.

Pam, Boise
1:51 PM CT
Hello Nick! In an earlier question about cap money you mentioned a reserve account for the draftees. How much is it and how does it effect free agency after the draft? Go Rams!!!

WAGONER:
I don't know the exact number for this year but it's usually around $7 million, at least it was last year. It doesn't affect much after the draft. Only your top 53 highest paid players count against the cap. So guys that are signed as UDFA's are usually the cheapest guys so they don't count against the cap.

Xavier, USA
1:54 PM CT
another top 32, YES. If its different enough from the first set, and not a nuisances to you of course.

WAGONER:
I try to stay in touch with some scouts around the league on a regular basis during the draft. My top 32 was largely based on their feedback. I'll gauge to see if there are any or many shifts and go from there. Cool?

Mike, CAnada
1:55 PM CT
Hey Nick, I often see proven players re-structuring their contracts to give their team cap relief. Certainly with our high picks in the last 5 years we must have a few candidates for that. Sam, Smith, Long come to mind. Maybe not this year but that must be a consideration for the team. That Rookie scale was 5 years too late when you really have struggled. Plus it benefits them as well to do so if you can add better players

WAGONER:
Sam is ineligible to restructure since he hasn't been in the league three years yet. Smith could do so but it wouldn't save much because he still has a fairly large sum of guaranteed money due. Long doesn't need a restructure, he needs an extension. I think that would be the best way for the Rams to free up cap space and lock up one of their best players.

Mike, Canada
2:16 PM CT
Hey Nick, I would be totally cool if we ended up with Richardson in the draft. I kinda think Blackmon goes to the Browns because 1) they need him and 2) They know we need him and they are pissed. But we have needed another RB for years and SJ39 would be able to show Richardson the professional way to play the game. No one is better in the NFL for that

WAGONER:
They won't draft him because of some sort of vendetta. It doesn't work like that. They do need him but there are a lot of things that point against them doing it. That said, Richardson would still be a home run pick for the Rams.

JP, USA
2:17 PM CT
Any chance of interest in looking at Terrel Owens by the Rams?

WAGONER:
Nope.

Mike, Canada
2:29 PM CT
Hey Nick, Its about time we stsarted looking at a linebacker or 2 isn't it in free agency. Animal junior needs some help

WAGONER:
They are looking. I'd expect at least one signed sometime in the near future.

Cam, CA
2:29 PM CT
Hey Nick, how are your wounds healing after March Madness?

WAGONER:
A tough but fair question. It took me awhile to be willing to watch games again after Black Friday. But I'm too much of a hoops nut not to watch so I've been back on board. Two of my favorite players in the country are still playing too, so that helps get me through.

Jerry, USA
2:30 PM CT
Any chance of the Rams trading draft picks for a Wide Receiver like Deshaun Jackson still ?

WAGONER:
No.

Russ, in Phoenix
2:31 PM CT
I have noticed that OLB Zach Brown has been falling in the plethora of Mock Drafts to the point where I don't see him in Round 1 anymore. He would certainly be a 2nd round considration.

WAGONER:
I'd expect him to be a mid 2, possibly even early 3 when all is said and done. Great measurables and athleticism but instincts are a question.

Russ, in Phoenix
2:31 PM CT
Is Jo-Lonn Dunbar OLB still on the Rams FA radar?

WAGONER:
Yes.

Ken, Worc.,MA
2:32 PM CT
Just want to know what you think about this outside the box thought.If Richardson is who we get at #6 because Blackmon is gone,what do you think about this.We trade Sjax to Pittsburg for Wallace.That gives Jackson a chance for a Super Bowl.That gives us a top notch running back and wr.obivously a contract in place.

WAGONER:
I can't emphasize this enough. Pittsburgh DOES NOT WANT TO TRADE MIKE WALLACE. They want him on their team for a long time to come.

Doug Lawslo, Lake Havasu City, AZ
2:32 PM CT
We need 3 things: Deep threat WR, OL, and RB. Kalil won’t drop, Blackmon is a slot guy, and, in spite of what you said last week, Richardson’s a reach at 6. Trade the pick if possible, if not take Riley Reiff in the 1st and hope Stephen Hill is available at 33 with Doug Martin or David Wilson at 39. If we can trade down, take Michael Floyd, Stephen Hill, or Kendall Wright in the 1st and Doug Martin, Jonathan Martin, or David Wilson in the 2nd (both picks) depending which is available. Those 2 2nds are valuable, we could package those to get to get back into the later 1st. Your thoughts?

WAGONER:
You can say what you want but you're incorrect. NFL teams don't view Richardson as a reach at 6. Teams view him as a premiere franchise back like Adrian Peterson. And Blackmon is NOT a slot receiver.

Dylan, Iowa
2:33 PM CT
Nick do you think it's at all possible that we would sign Donovan McNabb as a backup qb? I think that would be a smart addition, Sam could learn a lot from him.

WAGONER:
Doubt it.

Paul Hart, Medford, Oregon
2:34 PM CT
Hi Nick and thank you once again for taking my questions. I'm wondering if you have a projection for the top six picks. here are mine. Luck - RG3 - Kahil - Richardson - Claiborne - Blackmon to the Rams. The 2nd question is if you have some insight on the starting Offensive line for the Rams based on what talent we have now and not adding an immediate starter in this years draft.

WAGONER:
That looks about right to me, barring trades. I'd say as we sit here today it'd be Saffold at LT, J. Smith or Ojinnaka at RT, Dahl at RG, Wells at C. Then you have a big question mark at LG filled by a big, nasty mauler to be named later.

Russ , in Phoenix
2:35 PM CT
Okay on Zack Brown in the 2nd earlier, so if you had Janoris Jenkins CB and Zack Brown OLB at #33... The thinking is that Jenkins skill set is higher than Brown's?

WAGONER:
Talent wise, it's not that close. Jenkins is a mid first round talent.

ron, florida
2:35 PM CT
hi nick i think the nfl should give the rams the second round pick they are taking from the saints because it hurts the rams allot now. puts them in bad spot what do you think

WAGONER:
Not happening.

Mike, Fresno, CA
2:36 PM CT
Hey Nick, By now I'm sure you're sick of all the "we should have traded with Cleveland and gotten Mike Wallace with the 21st pick" stuff by now. But after you confirmed my understanding of the rule last week, if we make an offer on a restricted free agent such as Mike Wallace, only our original pick can be used. Which most people would assume means we couldn't have used our 21st pick. However, since we traded our #2 pick, that means we couldn't have used the #4, and we can't use the #6 pick this year either because those are not our original draft spots. We would have to give up the #2 pick, which we don't have anymore. Which means all those people who think we should sign Mike Wallace and give up our 1st rounder this year... it CAN NOT HAPPEN. So everyone should get off that train of thought right now. Thanks for answering all our questions Nick. Escpecially since the same questions seemed to get asked over and over again. One more thing... I know he's not a Ram, but I'd like to throw a shout out to Hines Ward. A tough, reliable, "team comes first" player. The NFL needs more people like him and Steven Jackson and I'm sorry to see Ward leave the game.

WAGONER:
My understanding is that you CAN still trade picks for a restricted free agent but if you get multiple, it has to be the highest of the ones you have. In other words, even if the Rams had traded with Cleveland, they would have been required to give up No. 4 instead of 22 for a restricted player. I could be wrong on that but that's how it was explained to me. But either way, yes, people should give up on that pipe dream. And I'll second your shoutout to Hines Ward. Speaking of accomplished receivers, stay tuned in the near future for another announcement on the retirement of another great receiver, one a little closer to home.

Adam Johnson, Kirkwood, MO
2:38 PM CT
Please tell me the Rams are really not considering bringing in Tim Tebow right now!!!??? Thats awful and stupid!!!

WAGONER:
It was never really a consideration. Don't let a few inaccurate reports fool you.

Phil Gomes, California
2:38 PM CT
Hi Nick, Has there been any interest by the Rams in Kevin Smith, RB, from Detroit.? The guy was injury prone, but when healthy was a dominant force. Fast, explosive runner that catches like Faulk out of the backfield. This guy could be a difference maker for the Rams this year. What do you think?

WAGONER:
I haven't heard him mentioned. He's an intriguing guy if you think he can stay healthy. Still thik the Rams will go to the draft for depth at that position.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Blackmon is a slot guy, and, in spite of what you said last week, Richardson’s a reach at 6.

lol.

guinness_brilliant.jpg

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I will say I've always followed Nick's mailbag always info that keeps you reading. I enjoyed this response...Re:Submitter question- Blackmon is paramount and he described Steve Smith as a has-been,slow addition. I'm clueless on how micro fracture works but this guy has heart and dedication and I hope he can recover like former Rb Robert Edwards and continue his promising career...105+ receptions (team record) and what 8-10 tds before said injury.
"If Smith is healthy, he can still be a good player as he's still quite young. And I don't know what draft boards you look at but they aren't those that belong to NFL teams. There's a much better chance Blackmon is available than you think. Not saying it's a slam dunk but it's a definite possibility. Beyond that, GM Les Snead is on record as saying it's a very good draft class at receiver, even beyond Blackmon, Floyd, Hill, Wright, etc. The Rams will address the position as best they can. It might not be the ideal dream scenario that you all hoped for this year but keep in mind if it's not perfect after this year, the Rams enter next year flush with cash in free agency and with two first rounders each of the next two years."

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
X said:
Blackmon is a slot guy, and, in spite of what you said last week, Richardson’s a reach at 6.

lol.

guinness_brilliant.jpg

Literally laughing my fuckin ass off!!!

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Damn damn damn...now I found this gem. Shitfire it never ends for "certain" fans.

WAGONER:
I can't emphasize this enough. Pittsburgh DOES NOT WANT TO TRADE MIKE WALLACE. They want him on their team for a long time to come.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Just too good to not be true or is it? :hehe:

JP, USA
2:17 PM CT
Any chance of interest in looking at Terrel Owens by the Rams?

:lmao: x a lot

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'd say a new addition at OLB is coming down the pipe any day now, likely from the Saints but maybe not the one you're thinking.

Who we talkin here guys? Any opinions?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

lol.

guinness_brilliant.jpg

No doubt. I could see Wagoner's eyes roll from here. What a douche.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:

Shanle? And...... you need a new signature. :bummed:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Username said:

Hahaha. I know. I'll take it off in a sec here, just always reading or listening to something on here. Oh, that, and I'm too lazy.

Isn't Shanle under contract next year too?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
X said:
Username said:

Hahaha. I know. I'll take it off in a sec here, just always reading or listening to something on here. Oh, that, and I'm too lazy.

Isn't Shanle under contract next year too?
I read that he's due 1.75M in salary and bonuses this year, and all of it could be saved by releasing him. Signing Chamberlain could put his job in jeopardy, as Chambo is younger and immensely more familiar with the defense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BatteringRambo said:
I will say I've always followed Nick's mailbag always info that keeps you reading. I enjoyed this response...Re:Submitter question- Blackmon is paramount and he described Steve Smith as a has-been,slow addition. I'm clueless on how micro fracture works but this guy has heart and dedication and I hope he can recover like former Rb Robert Edwards and continue his promising career...105+ receptions (team record) and what 8-10 tds before said injury.
"If Smith is healthy, he can still be a good player as he's still quite young. And I don't know what draft boards you look at but they aren't those that belong to NFL teams. There's a much better chance Blackmon is available than you think. Not saying it's a slam dunk but it's a definite possibility. Beyond that, GM Les Snead is on record as saying it's a very good draft class at receiver, even beyond Blackmon, Floyd, Hill, Wright, etc. The Rams will address the position as best they can. It might not be the ideal dream scenario that you all hoped for this year but keep in mind if it's not perfect after this year, the Rams enter next year flush with cash in free agency and with two first rounders each of the next two years."

Pretty funny. Didn't Smith run something like a 4.35 at his pro day? Fail! Haters gotta hate.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
What I didn't like was the statement about J Smith he made in the beginning, when he said that J Smith has to want to get better. Was he saying that Jason Smith was being lazy? Maybe I misread it, but that's what it sounded like. I hope that's not the case, I never heard he was lazy before. Boudreau likes the type of offensive linemen that Smith could be...nasty, hard hitting blockers. I hope Boudreau can coach him up, that Smith is willing to work hard and he can stay healthy.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
What I didn't like was the statement about J Smith he made in the beginning, when he said that J Smith has to want to get better. Was he saying that Jason Smith was being lazy? Maybe I misread it, but that's what it sounded like. I hope that's not the case, I never heard he was lazy before. Boudreau likes the type of offensive linemen that Smith could be...nasty, hard hitting blockers. I hope Boudreau can coach him up, that Smith is willing to work hard and he can stay healthy.

I didn't get that out of what Snead said and no one has ever said that about Smith.

He was just simply not handing him the starting spot. That's all that was.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

I didn't get that out of what Snead said and no one has ever said that about Smith.

I think he meant what he said. That first and foremost Smith has to stay healthy, and he himself has to want to be good. Because he's not been very good thus far. Whether that's being lazy or injured or simply not playing up to his ability, it all has to improve in one way or another.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
zn said:
brokeu91 said:

I think he meant what he said. That first and foremost Smith has to stay healthy, and he himself has to want to be good. Because he's not been very good thus far. Whether that's being lazy or injured or simply not playing up to his ability, it all has to improve in one way or another.

I really doubt a GM would go out and accuse a guy of being lazy if he weren't. No one has ever accused Smith of that. In fact everything you hear about him praises his work ethic and character and desire. If Smith has issues it's not "head" stuff like lack of motivation.

I think Snead meant what he said too. And basically what he said was they are not handing him the spot--they are giving him a chance, but he has to come through.

Meanwhile notice how they talk about Bradford. Bradford needs to improve in some areas, they have hinted, but they HAVE handed him the job. There's no qualifications to it. No "but he has to come through" (though he does, they're just not going to say that).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

That's what I got out of it. I don't think anyone is calling him out for being lazy just that facts are facts and so far he hasn't been very good. For what ever reason, he hasn't panned out yet and needs to pick up his game. With many players that has to come from within from the want and the will.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
I really doubt a GM would go out and accuse a guy of being lazy if he weren't. No one has ever accused Smith of that. In fact everything you hear about him praises his work ethic and character and desire. If Smith has issues it's not "head" stuff like lack of motivation.

I think Snead meant what he said too. And basically what he said was they are not handing him the spot--they are giving him a chance, but he has to come through.

Meanwhile notice how they talk about Bradford. Bradford needs to improve in some areas, they have hinted, but they HAVE handed him the job. There's no qualifications to it. No "but he has to come through" (though he does, they're just not going to say that).
I really doubt that too. That's why I was only referring to what Wagoner said. HE'S the one who said what everyone is quoting - not Snead. Wagoner was talking about Smith needing to up the ante, and I agree with that. I don't really see how Bradford enters in the equation, as QB has 10X the responsibility and importance of a RT, but okay. They talked about him too. Apples & oranges.

Rams4life

The only other Saints FA LB's are restricted. Jonathan Casillas & Ramon Humber. Besides Dunbar that is. But like another poster said maybe a trade.