Wagoner: Austin Davis starting vs.Dallas A Good Possibility--101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about Austin Davis’ performance, what improvements he has made since last season, why he thinks he will start again this week, and how he can make it a controversy. He also broke down the Rams defense and in particular their lack of ability to get pressure on the QBs and why it’s not the Rams but the other teams adjusting to the Rams.

Listen to Wagoner's Rams Update

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm of the start Hill mindset, but if Davis comes in and has a very good game and leads us to another win against Dallas, I think you've gotta roll with the hot hand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I like Hill a lot as a backup. But IMO, he doesn't have long term upside as a starter. So, I'd much rather give Davis more opportunities to succeed. It isn't like Hill gives the team an obvious and far more productive option at QB so it doesn't make sense to me to bench Davis. Add to that, we're talking about a less than 100% Shaun Hill. Don't see any reason to start Hill other than the "don't lose your job to injury" mantra that permeates sports.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I like Hill a lot as a backup. But IMO, he doesn't have long term upside as a starter. So, I'd much rather give Davis more opportunities to succeed. It isn't like Hill gives the team an obvious and far more productive option at QB so it doesn't make sense to me to bench Davis. Add to that, we're talking about a less than 100% Shaun Hill. Don't see any reason to start Hill other than the "don't lose your job to injury" mantra that permeates sports.

I can see why you would think that Hill isn't that much better than Davis, but, Hill has been one of the top backups in the league, and Davis was going to be cut and at home on the couch.

Now the Vikings game isn't really indicative of what we can expect from Hill, well actually, the first quarter is probably what we can expect. He was efficient, and up until the interception (which was because of the injury) was playing well.

With that said, if Hill is held out this week, and Davis gets us another win. It's hard not to stay with the hot hand at that point.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think hill gives us the best chance to win. But I'm kind of looking forward to watching Davis to see what happens. The curse of Kurt, I guess, always thinking the #3 is going to be the hero.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I can see why you would think that Hill isn't that much better than Davis, but, Hill has been one of the top backups in the league, and Davis was going to be cut and at home on the couch.

Now the Vikings game isn't really indicative of what we can expect from Hill, well actually, the first quarter is probably what we can expect. He was efficient, and up until the interception (which was because of the injury) was playing well.

With that said, if Hill is held out this week, and Davis gets us another win. It's hard not to stay with the hot hand at that point.
Like I said, I like Hill a lot as a backup but with the albeit small sample size we've got to look at, Davis is outperforming Hill and is a lot younger with potentially more upside.

10% higher completion (73.1% to 61.5%) and a higher YPA(8.2 to 6.2) for Davis over Hill. And what they are doing right now is basically the point. Hill has had a pretty decent career but we're talking about a guy that hasn't had significant playing time in years. And, he is what he is. Davis is performing, at the moment, at least as well as what Hill was and he has potential upside.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I think the reason Fisher said that Hill starts if healthy is because he knew darn well he won't be healthy enough by Sunday. If Davis throws 3 TD passes Sunday, I think Fisher has to reevaluate.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think the reason Fisher said that Hill starts if healthy is because he knew darn well he won't be healthy enough by Sunday. If Davis throws 3 TD passes Sunday, I think Fisher has to reevaluate.
I guess a head coach is forced to hedge his bets but ambiguity doesn't serve the team well in many cases. This staff and especially these players don't owe Hill anything. He hasn't won any games or even had much of a career as a Ram so I don't see the issue with just being frank about the situation.

The reality is, Hill was brought in as a backup and insurance plan but he isn't the best option right now. The guy who earns the job gets to keep the job until he loses it. Why not just say that instead of dancing around with all these diversion answers?

To me, it sends a very poor message to the team when the coach won't support a guy who has earned it. It isn't like supporting Davis is throwing Hill under the bus.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

I keep reading Hill has been one of the top backups....when, in 2010? That's when he actually played...so, 4 years ago he was tops...and since then he's aged 4 years...and is mid 30's...Is he still considered a Top backup now? Is that what you saw in game one? It's obvious now that Minn is a very average team at best.

Another thing, the "injury"....He threw a pick while injured, in a 6-0 game, and didn't tell anyone b4 that last drive. You buying that? Is that the type of leader this young team needs? I personally see a silly decision from a ole gambler with very limited arm talent. It was a unneeded risk at a bad moment....Not a very experienced play. More like a journey-man type, from a guy that's not used to playing in big moments....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be hard for me not to start Davis in that game. He really played a great game against Tampa Bay. I'd see what he's made of. But Hill did beat him out for the job.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I keep reading Hill has been one of the top backups....when, in 2010? That's when he actually played...so, 4 years ago he was tops...and since then he's aged 4 years...and is mid 30's...Is he still considered a Top backup now? Is that what you saw in game one? It's obvious now that Minn is a very average team at best.

Another thing, the "injury"....He threw a pick while injured, in a 6-0 game, and didn't tell anyone b4 that last drive. You buying that? Is that the type of leader this young team needs? I personally see a silly decision from a ole gambler with very limited arm talent. It was a unneeded risk at a bad moment....Not a very experienced play. More like a journey-man type, from a guy that's not used to playing in big moments....

Everyone is putting Hill down because of the first game, but how did Davis perform in that game as well? I guess it was the offensive line's fault for Davis but not Hill? Or it was the coaches fault for Hill but not for Davis?

Remember that both QBs played a half in that game.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Everyone is putting Hill down because of the first game, but how did Davis perform in that game as well? I guess it was the offensive line's fault for Davis but not Hill? Or it was the coaches fault for Hill but not for Davis?

Hill - 8/13(61.5%) 81 yards(6.2 ypa) 0TD/1INT 47.3 rating
Davis - 16/23(69.6%) 192 yards(8.3 ypa) 0TD/1INT 76.2 rating

And, to be fair, a lot of Davis' numbers would be considered junk time numbers but I think that's counter-balanced by the fact that he had very little, if any work with the first team in practice prior to that.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Davis played well, got the ball out quickly, hit his intended targets, plays with passion..... I kinda like the kid ......

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wagoner makes some good points, but while Dallas may have a better O-Line than we've seen so far, they also have a worse D than we've seen so far. I'll take that!! Especially if we get certain Players back on the field!:D ;)

V3

Hall of Fame

We don't know that. The second Hill threw that ball, I was worried. It was a horrible decision. Even if he's healthy, I don't want him making throws like that.

You can't compare the two. Ask any QB and they'll tell you it isn't the same when you have to come in midway through a game as a backup. They don't get to practice with the WR's, they don't get nearly the same amount of reps during the week, they don't get to work with the O-line, the mentality of knowing you're starting vs. being thrown in there on a moment's notice, etc.