Vin Scully Avenue - A Must Do

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This needs to get done. When I think of the Dodgers and their rich history, my mind thinks of someone who was not even a player. I think of that distinctive voice and the Farmer John Brand Bacon commercials. I think Vin Scully.

It looks like they are going to name the road that leads to Dodger Stadium after the voice of the big blue.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dn-vin-scully-avenue-20160128-story.html
Vin Scully Avenue? The street leading to Dodger Stadium may be renamed for the broadcaster
750x422

Vin Scully
Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times

Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully has said that next season, his 67th year with the franchise, will be his last.

Dodgers fans soon might be able to drive to games along Vin Scully Avenue.

Los Angeles City Councilman Gil Cedillo plans to make a motion Friday to rename Elysian Park Avenue after the Dodgers’ beloved Hall of Fame announcer.

Elysian Avenue is the street off Sunset Boulevard that leads directly into the main entrance of Dodger Stadium. If the change is made, Dodger Stadium’s address would become 1000 Vin Scully Ave.

“There’s no better way to recognize such an iconic Dodger as Hall of Famer Vin Scully than naming a street after him,” said Dodgers’ President & CEO Stan Kasten in a statement. “We appreciate Gil Cedillo and city officials bringing this to the forefront, and we look forward to the day when everyone can drive on Vin Scully Avenue when they enter Dodger Stadium.”

The Dodgers are hopeful the name can be changed in 2016, allowing fans – and Scully – to drive along his namesake street during the upcoming season.

Scully, who will be entering his 67th consecutive year broadcasting the Dodgers, has said next season will be his last. Scully has shied away from such honors in the past, but apparently has agreed to the street name.

The Dodgers must have some inkling the name change is going to happen. They will have a large contingent at the City Council meeting: Manager Dave Roberts, Clayton Kershaw, Yasiel Puig, Austin Barnes, Jharel Cotton, Carlos Frias, Yimi Garcia, Chris Hatcher, Pedro Baez, Yasmani Grandal, Micah Johnson, Zach Lee, Adam Liberatore, Frankie Montas, Josh Ravin, Scott Van Slyke, Trayce Thompson and Ross Stripling are all scheduled to attend.

There will also be former Dodgers in attendance, including Hall of Fame Manager Tommy Lasorda, Orel Hershiser, Ron Cey, Steve Garvey, Eric Karros and Maury Wills.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of the true living legends not just to Los Angeles but to all of baseball.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I agree. One of, if not the best broadcaster.

Voice is synonymous with baseball.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can think of no one, in Dodger History, more deserving than Vince!!(y):cheers:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can think of no one, in Dodger History, more deserving than Vince!!(y):cheers:
Ahem.... It's Vin. I wonder why he went with that instead of Vince. Probably because it rolls off the tongue easier. Seriously though, if I think of a sports caster, I hear Vin's voice instantly. I realize there are some others throughout the country that may do the same thing regionally. But I rarely have had the chance to listen to Vin over the last almost 30 years and I can still hear it clear as day when I think about him. Every time I get the chance to listen to a Dodger game, it just makes me happy to hear that iconic voice. I am seriously going to miss that and I can guarantee you, virtually every Dodger fan out there will as well.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The guy clearly deserves it, and I'm not even a Dodgers fan.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The man evoked a feeling that is reminiscent of Beethoven's 6th. To hear him talk about the promise of a new season on opening day was a thing of beauty. The first time I walked through the tunnel and saw Dodger Stadium, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in my life...and it was exactly as he'd described. Poetry. Church. Carnival.

I've forgotten a lot of things in my life, but there are two voices that I hope to never forget outside of my immediate family's... Vin Scully and Chick Hearn.

It's from these men that I learned the first quote I made up..."Sports is the crucible in which we distill human virtue. The distillate remains are human vice." They talked about it... World Series wins to the struggles of Steve Howe and the scandals of Steve Garvey. The history of the Dodgers...Jackie Robinson...Roy Campanella...Maury Wills...Sandy Koufax...Don Drysdale... That team of the late 70's with the infield of Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey, Yeager at C and Dusty Baker LF, Rick Monday CF (went to my HS, Santa Monica HS) and Reggie Smith RF that just never could seem to beat the Yankees... And yet, when the he was at the mic, it was always about Doooodger Baseball, brought to you by Farmer John....

I grew up eating, sleeping, and breathing baseball and Vin Scully was right there will me.

A street? That's the least they should do.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The man evoked a feeling that is reminiscent of Beethoven's 6th. To hear him talk about the promise of a new season on opening day was a thing of beauty. The first time I walked through the tunnel and saw Dodger Stadium, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in my life...and it was exactly as he'd described. Poetry. Church. Carnival.

I've forgotten a lot of things in my life, but there are two voices that I hope to never forget outside of my immediate family's... Vin Scully and Chick Hearn.

It's from these men that I learned the first quote I made up..."Sports is the crucible in which we distill human virtue. The distillate remains are human vice." They talked about it... World Series wins to the struggles of Steve Howe and the scandals of Steve Garvey. The history of the Dodgers...Jackie Robinson...Roy Campanella...Maury Wills...Sandy Koufax...Don Drysdale... That team of the late 70's with the infield of Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey, Yeager at C and Dusty Baker LF, Rick Monday CF (went to my HS, Santa Monica HS) and Reggie Smith RF that just never could seem to beat the Yankees... And yet, when the he was at the mic, it was always about Doooodger Baseball, brought to you by Farmer John....

I grew up eating, sleeping, and breathing baseball and Vin Scully was right there will me.

A street? That's the least they should do.
Very nicely put man. I couldn't agree more. And I too remember the first time I walked out into the sunlight to see the inside of Dodger Stadium. It really took my breath away. I've been to several other stadiums but none of them compare to the Dodger's home. And yeah - what a team in the 70s. In my head I can hear Vin doing a little spiel on Billy Russell playing his 2,000th game in the Dodger Blue.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This needs to get done. When I think of the Dodgers and their rich history, my mind thinks of someone who was not even a player. I think of that distinctive voice and the Farmer John Brand Bacon commercials. I think Vin Scully.

It looks like they are going to name the road that leads to Dodger Stadium after the voice of the big blue.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dn-vin-scully-avenue-20160128-story.html
Vin Scully Avenue? The street leading to Dodger Stadium may be renamed for the broadcaster
750x422

Vin Scully
Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times

Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully has said that next season, his 67th year with the franchise, will be his last.

Dodgers fans soon might be able to drive to games along Vin Scully Avenue.

Los Angeles City Councilman Gil Cedillo plans to make a motion Friday to rename Elysian Park Avenue after the Dodgers’ beloved Hall of Fame announcer.

Elysian Avenue is the street off Sunset Boulevard that leads directly into the main entrance of Dodger Stadium. If the change is made, Dodger Stadium’s address would become 1000 Vin Scully Ave.

“There’s no better way to recognize such an iconic Dodger as Hall of Famer Vin Scully than naming a street after him,” said Dodgers’ President & CEO Stan Kasten in a statement. “We appreciate Gil Cedillo and city officials bringing this to the forefront, and we look forward to the day when everyone can drive on Vin Scully Avenue when they enter Dodger Stadium.”

The Dodgers are hopeful the name can be changed in 2016, allowing fans – and Scully – to drive along his namesake street during the upcoming season.

Scully, who will be entering his 67th consecutive year broadcasting the Dodgers, has said next season will be his last. Scully has shied away from such honors in the past, but apparently has agreed to the street name.

The Dodgers must have some inkling the name change is going to happen. They will have a large contingent at the City Council meeting: Manager Dave Roberts, Clayton Kershaw, Yasiel Puig, Austin Barnes, Jharel Cotton, Carlos Frias, Yimi Garcia, Chris Hatcher, Pedro Baez, Yasmani Grandal, Micah Johnson, Zach Lee, Adam Liberatore, Frankie Montas, Josh Ravin, Scott Van Slyke, Trayce Thompson and Ross Stripling are all scheduled to attend.

There will also be former Dodgers in attendance, including Hall of Fame Manager Tommy Lasorda, Orel Hershiser, Ron Cey, Steve Garvey, Eric Karros and Maury Wills.
I thought I was the only one. Most fans choose a player. Scully is my favorite Dodger of all time. I grew up with his voice, being my first memories of sports. He is simply the greatest So Cal announcer of all time.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Ahem.... It's Vin. I wonder why he went with that instead of Vince. Probably because it rolls off the tongue easier. Seriously though, if I think of a sports caster, I hear Vin's voice instantly. I realize there are some others throughout the country that may do the same thing regionally. But I rarely have had the chance to listen to Vin over the last almost 30 years and I can still hear it clear as day when I think about him. Every time I get the chance to listen to a Dodger game, it just makes me happy to hear that iconic voice. I am seriously going to miss that and I can guarantee you, virtually every Dodger fan out there will as well.
We Dodger fans have been blessed. There have been times, when the game has gotten in the way of a story he was telling. To me, He is sports.

…..

Legend
I think they changed the signs and did a commencement ceremony yesterday. Hats off to the organization for this. Its now official.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I was in tears today, knowing it's his last season.
He only calls the home games now, but it is still a blessing.
He's my favorite Dodger of all time

Vin is bigger than the game. He takes me back to when I was young. I hear his voice and remember my childhood home. My family. My mother, aunts and uncles that are gone.

It's more than a game.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I grew up to the sound of my dads lawn mower and Scully's voice resonating in the background.