Very long article/analysis of Robert Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
vsgj.png

Back during the buildup to the 2011 NFL draft, the only thing greater than North Carolina Star Robert Quinn’s potential was the doubt that surrounded his future. Quinn’s potential had come apparent during his sophomore year in college, when he finished second in the ACC Defensive Player of the Year voting. However, that season wasn’t the one that preceded the 2011 draft, Quinn spent his final season in college in the stands after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA.

Along with missing his junior year through being ruled ineligible, Quinn also came with some mental question marks. While in high school, Quinn was told that he had a brain tumour and that he “should have been brain dead.” The tumour would later be proven to be benign, but in a process that is infamous for picking apart every minor aspect of a person, it was something that would have caused pause for some teams considering taking him.

Rest of the article -
<a class="postlink" href="http://presnapreads.com/2013/07/02/robert-quinn-star-tackles-star-potential-star-development/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://presnapreads.com/2013/07/02/robe ... velopment/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Too often I have compiled these charts during this series of analysis and come across a who’s who of the worst tackles in the NFL. This is not the case with Robert Quinn. Quinn beat some of the most talented players in the league at their positions. He was the only player in the league to beat Jeff Backus for a sack…in 716 attempts! Russell Okung only gave up two all season, while Trent Williams and Joe Staley both had outstanding grades from Pro Football Focus.

Quinn leads the Rams in sacks in 2013... This is the year he goes off!

PS: Those analysis are excellent! Kudos to presnapreads.com!

fearsomefour

Legend
Fantastic article. The time lapse of the Detroit sack was really interesting. If teams are going to double long and use a TE or RB to slide to Quinn this will present Bockers with more opportunities inside. I think this year will see three or maybe four Rams Dlineman with double digit sacks. If Jenkins can continue to develop into a top flight CB (more in terms of coverage and not just turnovers) that combo of really good cover CBs and speed rushing DEs can be brutal on an offense. I am so excited for this D over the next several years.

Two interesting things with this article: The time lapse on the sack vs. the Cardinals shows Quinn executing an inside counter move, something that was lacking in his first year on the job. A speed rusher with a good counter move or two can give OTs nightmares.

The possibility of Ogletree being used on the passrush is interesting as well. On passing downs moving Haynes inside to present a Dline of Long/Brockers/Haynes/Quinn brings a lot of passrush to the table. The article pointed out that Long and Quinn dropped into coverage exactly zero times last year. So, I dont expect a lot of creative stuff from the Rams D in terms of dropping lineman and mixing looks on the front....why mess with what is working? I have thought for a while that Longs greatest value is his hustle and his getting consistant pressure on the QB (leading the league in pressures)....making the QB move his feet ect. When Quinn gets to that point where he is consistant with his pressure and is creating pressure when not getting the sack (which could happen this year) will enhance his value even more. Long would be a superstar if he was playing on the east coast or in Dallas. When the Rams D is being pushed by the national media as a top unit and seem surprised we will have seen it coming....exciting times for the D in St. Louis.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
The time lapse on the sack vs. the Cardinals shows Quinn executing an inside counter move, something that was lacking in his first year on the job. A speed rusher with a good counter move or two can give OTs nightmares.
Exactly. That's been my only concern (for lack of a better word) with Robert. I'm really hoping to see more of those kinds of moves out of him this year, and I'm really interested to see how much stronger he's gotten during the off-season. If he can add a bull-rush to his arsenal, then he'll be a monster to deal with.

fearsomefour

Legend
X said:
and I'm really interested to see how much stronger he's gotten during the off-season. If he can add a bull-rush to his arsenal, then he'll be a monster to deal with.

Good point. It will also help him hold up vs. the run at the point of attack. So much speed in our front seven if Ogletree can secure a spot.