USC coaching rumors

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm just wondering what your hearing on the West Coast. Dennis Dodd keeps talking about James Franklin being a major target for USC.

I'm not particularly worried if he leaves. He's a good recruiter but is too tied to his assistants and the team doesn't seem that well coached compared to some teams with less talent like Minnesota and Baylor. His half time adjustments are non existent and he has trouble closing games in the second half. I think Penn State could do better.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does USC throw big money at Urban Meyer?
He's coming back, there is no doubt about that. Just a matter of where

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does USC throw big money at Urban Meyer?
He's coming back, there is no doubt about that. Just a matter of where

To most Penn State fans, he is the logical target. But some feel that Franklin is much more press friendly and a better personality fit in general. Franklin has that salesman thing going on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Texas will be looking for a winner too, so if USC goes Meyer, I could see Texas going for Franklin too.
He's got some Big 12 roots as well

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Texas will be looking for a winner too, so if USC goes Meyer, I could see Texas going for Franklin too.

It's too soon for Texas to move on from Herman.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3 years isn't too soon for Texas.
He's been a huge disappointment for them, particularly on the defense side.

Considering what he did last year and Ehlinger heading into his senior year, it's definitely too soon. You give him one more year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Franklin grew up in Eastern PA. He once called Penn State a destination job. But money talks. I’m sure his agent would entertain any offers that could drive his price up, and if Penn State doesn’t want to match then Sayonara.

For all of his faults, Franklin always has his team ready for Ohio State. Today the score was 21-17 but the starting QB got injured and the backup couldn’t move the offense and the final score was 28-17. This was a game that nobody gave PSU a chance to win and most predicted a blow out. In the prior two seasons they lost by one point each year after leading both games. The year before that, they beat them. I wish he could get the team to play that way against every opponent. The loss to Minnesota was pathetic.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Considering what he did last year and Ehlinger heading into his senior year, it's definitely too soon. You give him one more year.
Lost to a lousy Maryland team last year...
I don't think they have the patience in Texas and if they can get Urban Meyer?
I'll say this, they looked awful today, looked like a team that has given up. They lose at Texas Tech next week and Herman may not even coach the bowl game

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Franklin grew up in Eastern PA. He once called Penn State a destination job. But money talks. I’m sure his agent would entertain any offers that could drive his price up, and if Penn State doesn’t want to match then Sayonara.

For all of his faults, Franklin always has his team ready for Ohio State. Today the score was 21-17 but the starting QB got injured and the backup couldn’t move the offense and the final score was 28-17. This was a game that nobody gave PSU a chance to win and most predicted a blow out. In the prior two seasons they lost by one point each year after leading both games. The year before that, they beat them. I wish he could get the team to play that way against every opponent. The loss to Minnesota was pathetic.
OSU was outclassing them big time, and if not for those 2 fumbles, that score would have been a lot more crooked. But for sure, Penn State is the team to look out for next year in the Big 10. They showed a lot of heart staying in that game. I thought the back up QB gave them a nice spark

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lost to a lousy Maryland team last year...
I don't think they have the patience in Texas and if they can get Urban Meyer?
I'll say this, they looked awful today, looked like a team that has given up. They lose at Texas Tech next week and Herman may not even coach the bowl game

Losing to Tech could make people doubt him. He needs to get to 8 wins this year to be safe. But I'm still inclined to give him another year, unless there's something behind the scenes happening. If he can't get it done again next year, then I move on. I also wouldn't fire a coach assuming I can get Urban Meyer. That's not a safe bet.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
OSU was outclassing them big time, and if not for those 2 fumbles, that score would have been a lot more crooked. But for sure, Penn State is the team to look out for next year in the Big 10. They showed a lot of heart staying in that game. I thought the back up QB gave them a nice spark

Forced fumbles. Ohio State didn't just drop the ball. It's the best defense they played all year and their offense didn't look so dominant. Did you watch the whole game? The big difference in that game was Ohio States defense. It was stifling. They have four fifth year players and two Seniors. That is a ton of experience to go with talent. It will be interesting to see what their defense looks like next year, because they will lose nearly the whole unit this winter.

In the end the deciding factor is talent. I'm worried about the long term future with Franklin. After two excellent recruiting classes, this year he is regressing. The best PA recruits are going to Ohio State. Michigan has been raiding New Jersey, and the SEC and Clemson are pulling the top talent out of the DC area. It's suddenly becoming much more difficult for Franklin to pull in talent. This year's class is mostly three star recruits, while OSU's is four and five stars. I hope it isn't the start of a slide. Losing the bowl game to an inferior team last year didn't help.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Forced fumbles. Ohio State didn't just drop the ball. It's the best defense they played all year and their offense didn't look so dominant. Did you watch the whole game? The big difference in that game was Ohio States defense. It was stifling. They have four fifth year players and two Seniors. That is a ton of experience to go with talent. It will be interesting to see what their defense looks like next year, because they will lose nearly the whole unit this winter.

In the end the deciding factor is talent. I'm worried about the long term future with Franklin. After two excellent recruiting classes, this year he is regressing. The best PA recruits are going to Ohio State. Michigan has been raiding New Jersey, and the SEC and Clemson are pulling the top talent out of the DC area. It's suddenly becoming much more difficult for Franklin to pull in talent. This year's class is mostly three star recruits, while OSU's is four and five stars. I hope it isn't the start of a slide. Losing the bowl game to an inferior team last year didn't help.
Yes I watched the game, and am pretty unbiased. Was pulling for PSU because I would love to see chaos in the playoff.
OSU hasn't been challenged all year and it just seemed like they lost some intensity after going up 21-0. Fields fumble was questionable, and no disrespect to PSU but it is a fluke when teams fumble on back to back series