U.S. Open Women's Championship, a.k.a., REFS SUCK.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If you haven't heard by now, Serena Williams probably had a championship robbed from her, and the young woman (Naomi Osaka) who won it all was crying at the end because the idiot ref, Carlos Ramos, decided to give Serena three code violations for increasingly-bullshit reasons.

First, fucking Carlos Ramos issued a coaching violation because the same coach who has been to every one of her matches since he was her coach was in the stands.

Second, fucking Carlos Ramos issued a violation for smashing her racket (like a lot of tennis players have done - both genders, throughout history. That violation causes her to lose a very important point.

So she calls him a thief. That was the last straw for fucking Carlos Ramos. Never mind that Rafael Nadal told fucking Carlos Ramos that he'd make sure that he never did another game (so it's not just Serena that had a problem with him). Never mind that all he needed to do was tone it down, not heat it up.

But did fucking Carlos Ramos do that? LOLNOPE. Third violation for "verbal abuse," and it was a match penalty, which means the title automatically went to Naomi.

Could Serena have handled herself better? Sure. But let's not act like she was the only tennis player in the world to have harsh words for umpires. Let's not act like she's the only tennis player to smash her racket.

And worse still, it ruined the moment for Naomi. Here she is, winning a championship as a twenty-year-old. But this completely mars the moment for her. She didn't want to win like that. Nobody wants to win like that.

Fuck you, Carlos Ramos.

mst1981

Rookie
I like Serena WIlliams but I don't see anything wrong in what Carlos Ramos did.

Players know that if they smash their racquet they'll get a code violation. Players know that if you get coaching during the game (ok, Serena didn't see the coach but he admitted doing so) then that's against the rules. If on top of all that you start shouting at the umpire and demanding apologies from them then you run the risk of getting a third violation.

If Serena did that at any other grand slam then atmosphere wouldn't have turned toxic. In fact, the crowd would have been more likely to turn on Serena.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Serena was dominated in the 1st set. She has never been able to handle adversity.
I’m a huge fan of hers, as I was John McEnroe. Loved both of their tantrums but knew that they were both wrong

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Serena WIlliams but I don't see anything wrong in what Carlos Ramos did.

Players know that if they smash their racquet they'll get a code violation. Players know that if you get coaching during the game (ok, Serena didn't see the coach but he admitted doing so) then that's against the rules. If on top of all that you start shouting at the umpire and demanding apologies from them then you run the risk of getting a third violation.

If Serena did that at any other grand slam then atmosphere wouldn't have turned toxic. In fact, the crowd would have been more likely to turn on Serena.

There have been countless racket smashes throughout history. There have also been countless times - with Ramos alone - where players have had problems with him. Nadal, Djokovic, etc., have had problems with him. Djokovic actually cursed him out, Nadal got furious with him, and they didn't get the same treatment Serena did. Serena called the guy a thief. Didn't curse him out or anything, and she gets a "verbal abuse" violation, when neither Nadal nor Djokovic did for much worse?

mst1981

Rookie
There have been countless racket smashes throughout history. There have also been countless times - with Ramos alone - where players have had problems with him. Nadal, Djokovic, etc., have had problems with him. Djokovic actually cursed him out, Nadal got furious with him, and they didn't get the same treatment Serena did. Serena called the guy a thief. Didn't curse him out or anything, and she gets a "verbal abuse" violation, when neither Nadal nor Djokovic did for much worse?

There have been countless racquet smashes, and they're dealt with through code violations, that's nothing new. Smash your racqet and expect a warning.

Maybe Nadal and Djokovic should have been given violations in the instances you refer to but that doesn't make it wrong that Serena was given one, it just means it was wrong that Nadal and Djokovic weren't.

By the letter of the law, Serena was treated correctly last night. Players know the rules and if you push them you run the risk of getting penalised in that way. Just a shame it happened in such a big match.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I always root for the underdog. Except when the Rams are favored of course. :sneaky: Serena has always been bigger and stronger than her opponents so I've always rooted for whomever she was playing.

I watched the whole match of Williams vs. Osaka. Osaka dominated in the first set. Williams looked like she was making a comeback in the second set. But she couldn't keep her mouth shut. She couldn't let it go.

The shame of it is that Osaka's first big victory was tainted by Serena's temper tantrum. Osaka has played Serena twice now and beaten her both times.

fearsomefour

Legend
Serena was getting her ass kicked.
Truth is, she is an entitled, classless a-hole.
Nearly anytime she is up against it, she freaks out or whines or complains.
At least McEnroe used his BS as a tool to break up his oppenenfs rhythm.
She is an all time great player but a jerkoff.
Then, when faced with the truth of her own behavior, want to retreat into an "ism". Of
course. This is always the refuge of weak minded fools who just can't say, "hey I was wrong" and let it go.
She complains about being targeted for testing more than others. This may be true, but, clearly it's not without reason.
Worry not. Like MMA, Boxing and any sport where the attraction is individual players tennis will protect her until she is no longer a big draw.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@fearsomefour I agree with you and I saw something online that said the referee was completely correct.

In addition her coach admitted to coaching her from the stands so she owes the ref apology. This isn't the first time that she's gone off on somebody like that I don't know if she's apologized in the past but she really should just comes off making her look very bad

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Serena deserved her violations without question. Her coach's was extremely questionable though.

Serena had 1 point taken away for her 2nd violation and 1 game taken away for the 3rd. She didn't have the match taken away completely.

She was getting her ass beat like a drum anyway,,, and she would have lost even with her penalties. She acted like a spoiled little child though and actually put some tarnish on her opponent's 1st grand slam victory. It was embarrassing.

Serena deserved what she got... Naomi did NOT.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So there's that 25 MPH road we all drive on, you know, the one that is seemingly impossible to drive slower than 35 mph.
And then one day you're not paying attention and wham! You get pulled over for speeding.
Sure it sucks, and yes everyone else does it. But that doesn't make it right, you just got to suck it up and pay the fine

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yes Refs suck. Always have, and always will. I'm not all knowing about tennis rules, but the rules seem pretty clear. She lost her temper. I'm not one to easily dismiss sexism but I fail to see what her claim of sexism has to do with a women's tennis match. If anything were to happen to this ref just because Williams got upset, it would send a bad message to other refs in how they manage games with big influential athletes such as Williams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Her coach's was extremely questionable though.

He admitted doing it though. Which he kind of had to since it was on video LOL.

Foolish stuff.

She acted like a spoiled little child though and actually put some tarnish on her opponent's 1st grand slam victory. It was embarrassing.

This isn't her first time either. I don't know why she feels the need to behave this way it's terrible of her.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He admitted doing it though. Which he kind of had to since it was on video LOL.

I didn't see him admit to it. Right after the match I saw them ask him about it live and he denied it. Said he had never in his life been called for that before. He also said that he wasn't doing anything that other coaches don't do at every match. So if he came out after that and admitted to it... he is just as petty as Serena.

Even so... there was controversy as to whether or not Serena actually knew that she received a code violation because of what her coach was accused of at the time it happened in the match.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I didn't see him admit to it. Right after the match I saw them ask him about it live and he denied it. Said he had never in his life been called for that before. He also said that he wasn't doing anything that other coaches don't do at every match. So if he came out after that and admitted to it... he is just as petty as Serena.

Even so... there was controversy as to whether or not Serena actually knew that she received a code violation because of what her coach was accused of at the time it happened in the match.

He owned up to it, but followed up with a statement about a warning is normal for this type of thing and that it happens all the time. I believe that it does, I don't think it's a big deal and can't think of a good reason it isn't allowed since it happens in every other sport during a game or match.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/te...s-to-coaching-serena-during-finals/ar-BBN3Mjj

Serena was denying it on the court in a really nasty way and the demand for an apology from Ramos in hindsight makes her look really bad. If I was her manager I'd ask her to apologize at least on Twitter if not in a press release just to remove some of the stink from this.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I see now that the chair umpires throughout tennis are threatening to sit out all of Serena's matches to support what happened to the umpire Serena had her ridiculous crybaby temper tantrums on. They don't feel as though the tennis associations are supporting their umpire at all... and don't want the same to happen to them when they are just doing their job correctly.

Serena may be the greatest female tennis player of all time... but she is batshit crazy and completely delusional. That meltdown she had was an absolute embarrassment to herself and she doesn't even realize it in the slightest. She's pathetic.

BTW... she was also fined $17,000 for her shit-show. Way too little if you're asking me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I see now that the chair umpires throughout tennis are threatening to sit out all of Serena's matches to support what happened to the umpire Serena had her ridiculous crybaby temper tantrums on. They don't feel as though the tennis associations are supporting their umpire at all... and don't want the same to happen to them when they are just doing their job correctly.

Serena may be the greatest female tennis player of all time... but she is batshit crazy and completely delusional. That meltdown she had was an absolute embarrassment to herself and she doesn't even realize it in the slightest. She's pathetic.

BTW... she was also fined $17,000 for her crap-show. Way too little if you're asking me.

And still hasn't apologized, which shows us a lot about what type of person she is.........

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol at least she doesn’t dope like the Queen Sharapova. Serena dominates a white sport gets tested more than any male or female in the sport and she’s always clean she has to hold her self to a higher standard than most because she is black and on top of that she’s a woman. I don’t see anyone talking about the fact that’s she’s actually mentoring Osaka or the words she spoke to her when she was getting her trophy or the support Serena gave her when she lost her last match. It’s easy to pile on sports figures like their not human and not prone to have reactions. But Sharapova and the Males get praised for their on court behavior they don’t get threatened to not referee their matches lol. Sharapova gets caught doping and Seena is still the one that get tested the most. Yeah to me she has every right to fight for every point because she already has that bullseye on her back

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Lol at least she doesn’t dope like the Queen Sharapova. Serena dominates a white sport gets tested more than any male or female in the sport and she’s always clean she has to hold her self to a higher standard than most because she is black and on top of that she’s a woman. I don’t see anyone talking about the fact that’s she’s actually mentoring Osaka or the words she spoke to her when she was getting her trophy or the support Serena gave her when she lost her last match. It’s easy to pile on sports figures like their not human and not prone to have reactions. But Sharapova and the Males get praised for their on court behavior they don’t get threatened to not referee their matches lol. Sharapova gets caught doping and Seena is still the one that get tested the most. Yeah to me she has every right to fight for every point because she already has that bullseye on her back
What's a "white" sport?