Tutu Atwell {updated} only ball carrier in NFL to hit 21 mph twice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Tutu Atwell putting in work to make sure second NFL season goes better than first​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Tutu Atwell's 2021 season did not go completely according to plan.

The Rams wide receiver had two goals for his rookie year, one of which was to be the starting punt returner. He got a shot at it, tallying 10 for 54 yards – also five kickoff returns for 87 yards – before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury against the Texans in Week 8 that required surgery.

"Season got cut short, (but) everything happens for a reason man and God knows what he was doing," Atwell told theRams.com after Thursday's organized team activity (OTA) session. "So just gonna go from there."

Part of that post-injury process included arriving at the team's facility earlier this offseason to work with Kupp on his own prior to the start of OTAs. Atwell said he wanted to "make it feel like home," and also he knew he would be surrounded by supportive teammates. To that end, he also said Kupp took him under his wing when he was there.

"I'm excited about seeing him out here in OTAs and training camp," Kupp after last Monday's OTA session. "We're seeing some other stuff come to life because he's been working very hard to rehab, but also just building himself up and studying the playbook – all the stuff that he needs to do to make sure when he steps on the field to just play his game."

Beyond spending that time at the facility, Atwell has also been working with the strength and nutrition staff to build muscle, while also maintaining his weight.

"It's not really about the weight, (it's) pretty much just where I'm at my best," Atwell said. "How I'm going to perform better, how I'm going to do what I'm at to make plays, be stronger, take them hits and block them bigger guys. We just working in that phase."

If that early offseason facility arrival wasn't enough evidence, Atwell also remained committed by not going home this offseason so that he can stay in town and get in the work he needed to rehab-wise.

He's already seeing benefits.

"I feel a little stronger and faster now, and I'm just building," Atwell said. "Keep building."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Part of that post-injury process included arriving at the team's facility earlier this offseason to work with Kupp on his own prior to the start of OTAs. Atwell said he wanted to "make it feel like home," and also he knew he would be surrounded by supportive teammates. To that end, he also said Kupp took him under his wing when he was there.

"I'm excited about seeing him out here in OTAs and training camp," Kupp after last Monday's OTA session. "We're seeing some other stuff come to life because he's been working very hard to rehab, but also just building himself up and studying the playbook – all the stuff that he needs to do to make sure when he steps on the field to just play his game."

THAT’S the guy we want Atwell working with (Kupp)! At his position, probably no harder worker than Kupp.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Now this is the kind of stuff I like reading about tutu.

Let's hope it shows up on the field.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Well Done Reaction GIF

Here’s to 100 yards receiving this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't care if he puts on weight. With some guys that can screw up their burst so he probably knows where that's best. Ten pounds isn't going to make him take hits any better, given as small as he is. So whatever.

He's gonna have to stay alive out there at this level regardless. Rams can't put him in bubble wrap. You can get destroyed on jet sweeps, and they need him doing that shit.

One good indicator to watch for is if we see him being used only as a clearout pattern and screen option in preseason. If that happens it's gonna be a real bad sign. So hope he's got the scheme down by now, he has had all offseason to study it and if he's got it down then maybe he shows out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't care if he puts on weight. With some guys that can screw up their burst so he probably knows where that's best. Ten pounds isn't going to make him take hits any better, given as small as he is. So whatever.

He's gonna have to stay alive out there at this level regardless. Rams can't put him in bubble wrap. You can get destroyed on jet sweeps, and they need him doing that shit.

One good indicator to watch for is if we see him being used only as a clearout pattern and screen option in preseason. If that happens it's gonna be a real bad sign. So hope he's got the scheme down by now, he has had all offseason to study it and if he's got it down then maybe he shows out.

I don't understand this. He ran great routes in the last preseason game but the qb was late with a lot of throws. Made his day look worse than it was.

He can run routes.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I wanna see him go over the middle and catch those contested jump balls and I wanna see him take out an ILB for Kupp!

*gets slaughter popcorn ready.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand this. He ran great routes in the last preseason game but the qb was late with a lot of throws. Made his day look worse than it was.

He can run routes.

I didn't say a thing about him running routes.

It's about him understanding the offense. Knowing where to be. What to run given the look offered. Noting the checks that might be installed for a given opponent. Otherwise the QB looks like a dumbass when the ball gets completed to a DB because the flashy round two wideout is cutting on a dime in the wrong direction.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

It's about him understanding the offense. Knowing where to be. What to run given the look offered. Noting the checks that might be installed for a given opponent. Otherwise the QB looks like a dumbass when the ball gets completed to a DB because the flashy round two wideout is cutting on a dime in the wrong direction.

Crazy that he led the team or NFL in receptions in the preseason.However that went down I felt like I ate a little crow doubting TuTu Atwell.
Atwell is in good hands with the WR group.Cooper Kupp & company will get things right.Looks like he is learning a lot. Tough when he had to miss the beginning of training camp.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I didn't see that in that game. I saw him get open and getting separation but by the time the ball got there he was getting smashed with the db right on him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I think talent wise and his ability to grasp the offense will be fine considering his talent and the coaching he will get.

To me it's all about can he take the pounding? McVay stated that last preseason. He said he wanted to see how he held up and thus gave him a ton of opportunities in the preseason.... Then of course in the season he didn't hold up health-wise.

So maybe a yr older and a little stronger, maybe they can get some contributions from him if they spot him a few opportunities a game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure which game you are referring to. But I know he can run routes and accelerate out of his breaks. What I don't know is where he is at in learning a demanding offense that has a ton of nuance.

So I think Kupp's comments probably sum things up nicely.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure which game you are referring to. But I know he can run routes and accelerate out of his breaks. What I don't know is where he is at in learning a demanding offense that has a ton of nuance.

"Lil' dude's gonna get killed." ~ Cooper

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly hope Chatarius proves me wrong, honestly, I do because it'll only help this team go to - and win - multiple Super Bowls.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If you're talking to me I'm referring to the only game he's been allowed to play as a wr. The last preseason game last season. It looked like he was running to the right places, away from defenders.

Kupp was very complimentary about him. Not sure why that triggered you to get all snarky about tutu.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That wasn't snark, or at least it wasn't intended to be. I pointed out that if they use him on screens and clearouts that it will mean he is behind in understanding the offense. But it was taken by you to mean I thought he couldn't run routes. So was correcting that.

McVay's offense is as challenging as it gets for wideouts. That is likely going to be what holds him back, if anything does this year. Maximizing him would require him to run shit like option routes, which if done incorrectly hurt the offense. McVay won't play him outside of schemed plays if he doesn't have it down cold. That was what I was conveying there.

dang

Legend
Tutu deserves every chance to make an impact this year. Rams are patient with their rookies but there needs to be significant improvement from last year.