Trevon Diggs and Dick “Night Train” Lane

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew
Dallas Cowboys CB Trevon Diggs has a shot at breaking Dick “Night Train” Lanes single season interception record of 14. So far Diggs has 7 interceptions thru 6 games. Playing in a division with bad QB’s and the addition of the 17th game, those factors will certainly increase his chances of more picks.

Dick “Night Train” Lanes interception record is going to be a tough one to beat though. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think only one player in NFL history has come within 1 interception of Night Trains record. I think it was Lester Hayes of the Raiders who had 13 Ints back in the late 70’s or early 80’s.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Dallas Cowboys CB Trevon Diggs has a shot at breaking Dick “Night Train” Lanes single season interception record of 14. So far Diggs has 7 interceptions thru 6 games. Playing in a division with bad QB’s and the addition of the 17th game, those factors will certainly increase his chances of more picks.

Dick “Night Train” Lanes interception record is going to be a tough one to beat though. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think only one player in NFL history has come within 1 interception of Night Trains record. I think it was Lester Hayes of the Raiders who had 13 Ints back in the late 70’s or early 80’s.
I think QBs will stop throwing his way before long. He is on a roll. 7 in 6 games is rockin'. I remember when Pat Thomas and Rod Perry each had 8 in one season. It seemed like they couldn't be stopped. Diggs is only one away from them. Its hard to believe. The Cowboys are a formidable team this year, but they haven't had the toughest schedule so far. They lost to the Buccaneers in a close one. Defeated the Chargers by three. Otherwise they've had it pretty easy.

Tano

Legend
I think QBs will stop throwing his way before long. He is on a roll. 7 in 6 games is rockin'. I remember when Pat Thomas and Rod Perry each had 8 in one season. It seemed like they couldn't be stopped. Diggs is only one away from them. Its hard to believe. The Cowboys are a formidable team this year, but they haven't had the toughest schedule so far. They lost to the Buccaneers in a close one. Defeated the Chargers by three. Otherwise they've had it pretty easy.
Well - look at the division they are in

The only division with a weaker bottom 3 is the AFC Least

Both Eastern conferences are terrible this year.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well - look at the division they are in

The only division with a weaker bottom 3 is the AFC Least

Both Eastern conferences are terrible this year.

The NFC and AFC East have both been just total cakewalks for any teams that are even moderately competitive. And it seems like it's been that way for decades now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. Diggs is going to find QBs actively avoiding him which will hurt his ability to keep that pace up. 14 INTs is insane. I don't know that anyone will break that any time soon with the way teams gameplan now. If you're that big a threat you're gonna be out there on a lot of snaps with shit being thrown elsewhere.

Cowboys are definitely a good team though. We may well see them in the playoffs.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFC and AFC East have both been just total cakewalks for any teams that are even moderately competitive. And it seems like it's been that way for decades now.
True for sure, but you can bet your ass the 'Game of the Week' will be some nobody gives a shit NFC East Matchup.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I would hate for that to be broken, as any other Rams records. But with this awful 17-game season everything could come down one day. I remember Lester the molester Hayes almost broke it with 13 in the 1980 reg season. And he got 5 more in the playoffs including a pick 6, plus a SB win; arguably the best year for a DB with a whopping 18 picks!! But yeah *cough* stickum. Train didn't get another pick in the playoff game in 1952.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I would hate for that to be broken, as any other Rams records. But with this awful 17-game season everything could come down one day. I remember Lester the molester Hayes almost broke it with 13 in the 1980 reg season. And he got 5 more in the playoffs including a pick 6, plus a SB win; arguably the best year for a DB with a whopping 18 picks!! But yeah *cough* stickum. Train didn't get another pick in the playoff game in 1952.
The Raiders acquired Mike Haynes a few years later to pair with Lester Hayes.

I think that pair is the best starting cornerback combination I have seen.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
What can I say?

Diggs is the most exciting cornerback in the NFL this season.

It's not even close.

The Dallas Cowboys selected Alabama defensive back Trevon Diggs with No. 51 overall pick in Round 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Diggs was passed over 50 times until the Cowboys grabbed him with their 51st pick in the 2020 NFL draft.

He will probably get 10 to 15 interceptions this year. Looks like a super star.

Looking forward to seeing him cover Cooper Kupp in a playoff game if these teams end up playing each other.

70x70.png

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Didn't night train do it in a 12 game season? So Diggs would need 7 more interceptions over the next 6 games to tie him really. Diggs gives up a lot of yards but is making up for it with his crazy rate of turnovers.

That being said, all stats need an asterisk beside them now a days. All 12/14/16/17 game seasons stats should be in there own category at this point. Especially with an 18 game season coming soon.

tempests

Hall of Fame

His game had substance.

hi-res-8ebdf3783d03e5bdad555b746609b21c_crop_north.jpg

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Fuck Diggs and the cowgirls. He has often been the beneficiary of bad, tipped passes and just as often gets beat for big gains. So typical of cowgirl fans and the nut hugging media to overlook these facts.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Didn't night train do it in a 12 game season? So Diggs would need 7 more interceptions over the next 6 games to tie him really. Diggs gives up a lot of yards but is making up for it with his crazy rate of turnovers.

That being said, all stats need an asterisk beside them now a days. All 12/14/16/17 game seasons stats should be in there own category at this point. Especially with an 18 game season coming soon.

Or they could just include a "stat per game" next to any season or career totals.

If a guy got 100 sacks in 80 games, that's maybe more amazing than a guy getting 200 sacks in 240 games (made up numbers for example only). At the very least, it adds a slight bit of context.

I call it the Don Sutton rule.

Don Sutton was a pitcher mostly for the LA Dodgers. He was a 15 game winner on average, but continued to do this for over 20 years. So he got in for winning 300 games, but he was never a pitcher like Koufax, Drysdale, Hershiser, Scherzer or Kershaw. Dude just trudged away for a really long time and had longevity.

It's amazing to win 300 games as a pitcher in the majors, no question. However, when you look at just wins/season, you know Sutton was special for his longevity, not necessarily for being a dominant pitcher.

So, whenever I see a season or career stat, I at least try to apply the Sutton rule to see what we're talking about...

TexasRam

Legend
Diggs still struggles as seen in the big TD to almost lose the game Sunday vs the Pats. He is really good at bringing in the tipped passes, breaking on balls with calculated risks and has great hands.

My first book report in my young 4rd grade career was on Night Train Lane. The local library had a book on him and i was so excited to write about something that interested me!