Tre Mason returns to football with CFL team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Zac Stacy and Tre Mason together again!

Tre Mason returns to football with CFL team

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/05/tre_mason_returns_to_football.html
tre-masonjpg-8e7062790b9c316f.jpg

St. Louis Rams running back Tre Mason carries the ball against the Cincinnati Bengals on Nov. 29, 2015, at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio. (AP Photo)

By
Mark Inabinett

minabinett@al.com

Tre Mason and Nick Marshall led Auburn to the SEC championship in the 2013 season. Now they're together again in the Canadian Football League.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced on Wednesday morning that they had signed Mason, who set an Auburn single-season record by rushing for 1,816 yards in 2013, when Marshall, as the Tigers' quarterback, ran for 1,068.

Mason hasn't played since he served as Todd Gurley's backup during the 2015 NFL season for the St. Louis Rams.

View: https://twitter.com/sskroughriders/status/1001854916086943745

Mason has joined the Roughriders in training camp as they prepare for the 2018 season. Saskatchewan dropped its preseason opener 35-12 to the Edmonton Eskimos on Sunday.

Marshall is a defensive back for Saskatchewan, but he's taken some snaps at quarterback, too, during training camp.

The Rams moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles for the 2016 season. But when training camp started for the relocated team, Mason did not report.

Mason entered the NFL as a third-round draft choice in 2014 after he'd led the SEC in rushing and finished sixth in the Heisman Trophy balloting for the 2013 season.

As a rookie, Mason led the Rams with 765 rushing yards and earned a spot on the Pro Football Writers of America's All-Rookie team.

But the Rams selected Georgia running back Todd Gurley with the 10th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. While Gurley went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie, Mason's production plunged to 207 rushing yards in the 2015 season.

Mason didn't participate in Los Angeles' offseason program in 2016, excused for "personal reasons" after being arrested during a March 5, 2016, traffic stop in Hollywood, Florida.

According to the police report of the incident, Mason would not identify himself after being pulled over for going 75 mph in a 35-mph zone, and he would not get out his car when asked to do so. A Taser was used to remove Mason from his car, and the Taser was used on Mason again after he was out of the vehicle.

Mason was charged with resisting an officer/obstruction without violence, reckless driving, failure to register a motor vehicle, possession of marijuana in an amount less than 20 grams and failure to yield the right of way to an emergency vehicle.

The charges were resolved in the Broward County Court of Judge Robert F. Diaz on Nov. 3, 2016. Mason entered nolo contendere pleas on the resisting, possession and failure-to-register charges. In a nolo contendere (or no contest) plea, the defendant does not admit guilt or responsibility for the charges, but does agree to accept punishment. In Mason's case, the punishment was "fine and/or costs," which amounted to $293. The failure to yield the right of way charge was dismissed, and the prosecution of the reckless-driving charge was abandoned.

Law-enforcement personnel visited the home of Mason's mother at least five times between his traffic-stop arrest in March and an ATV incident on July 27, 2016.

On July 23, 2016, Tina Mason called police because of her son's "unusual" behavior and "irrational statements." According to the police report, Mason told officers who responded to the home that "he was going to call the White House and we were all going to lose our jobs" and "the police were responsible for teaching al-Qaida how to fly planes."

In the four-wheeler incident, Mason was riding an ATV in a public park when deputies, responding to a complaint of an ATV being operated recklessly, tried to stop him. Mason drove from the park to his mother's home in Lake Worth, Florida. Deputies followed Mason. At the home, a dash-cam recorded Mason's mother telling the responding officers: "He's 22 in a 10-year-old's mindset right now."

According to the Palm Beach County Clerk of Courts website, the July 27, 2016, incident was resolved on Feb. 27 with Mason receiving a 12-month probationary sentence for resisting an officer without violence.

Earlier this year in a video announcing his intention to return to football, Mason said about the reporting on his off-the-field incidents: "I feel like sometimes the media, they don't want to be correct, they want to be first. 'Oh, he's crazy,' or 'He went missing.' I made a mistake off the field, and that's brought me to being out of the league. I'm not going to sit here and say that, 'Oh, I'm a perfect human being,' because I'm not perfect. But I've learned from a lot of things."

Mason is one of five running backs on the Roughriders' active roster, which includes the player that he replaced as the Rams' leading rusher.

Former Bibb County High School standout Zac Stacy ran for 973 yards as a rookie for the Rams in 2013. But in 2014, when Mason became the NFL team's top ball-carrier, his production dropped to 293 rushing yards. As with Mason, Stacy hasn't played since the 2015 NFL season.

Saskatchewan also has former Alabama running back Trent Richardson on its suspended list. The Roughriders transferred Richardson from the active roster when he did not report for training camp.

Richardson ran for 259 yards and two touchdowns on 48 carries in four games for Saskatchewan during the 2017 season.

The Roughriders' other running backs are Jerome Messam, Marcus Thigpen and Bryce Vieira. With seven carries for 32 yards and a touchdown, Thigpen is the only one of the five running backs on Saskatchewan's active roster who ran the ball for the Roughriders last season.

Saskatchewan plays its next preseason game on June 8, when the Calgary Stampeders visit. The Roughriders kick off the CFL regular season on June 15 with a home game against the Toronto Argonauts.

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @AMarkG1.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's wild that he and Stacy will be on the same team again. I don't imagine Zac did the "Yikes" tweet this time, as when Gurley was drafted and he was ousted as the future #1 of the Rams.

Let's see if Mason can hold it together for a year (mentally) AND put up big numbers. Aside from the off the field issues for Mason, the big problem that I had with him was the lack of instinct to hit the open hole...or be patient as blockers tried to open a hole for him. Then the bravado of trying to put Todd Gurley in has place as a rookie (nobody put's baby in a corner!). Hope he can

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good luck to Mason and Stacy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I definitely wish him well.

He appeared very much in the middle of some mental health things last time we heard from him. If he’s better there, that’s great to hear.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I don’t think Mason should be playing full contact football. The vids I saw of him while he was away from the team were scary. He didn’t come across like he was coherent or fully understanding his actions and the consequences of those actions. He got blasted in his last game for the Rams as he scored a TD. He didnt look right to me mentally from that moment on.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's like Canada is the football version of the AAA league in baseball.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I think Saskatchewan could take it all this year with their yikes-n-baked combination attack.

:hiding:

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope he is ok, and I hope he impresses a lot of people with his ability.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing like a man among boys in the CFL to warrant a signing to an NFL team later on. Dude's talented and was unfortunately overshadowed by an elite halfback a la Gurley

BadCompany

Rookie
Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing like a man among boys in the CFL to warrant a signing to an NFL team later on. Dude's talented and was unfortunately overshadowed by an elite halfback a la Gurley

While I certainly wish him the best (except against the Alouettes of course) he had better show up in shape, mentally and physically. The CFL is a very underrated league, and a lot - a LOT - of former NFLers show up to a CFL camp and think they can just throw their helmets on the field and win league MVP. It doesn't quite work that way, and a lot of them end up struggling up here, because they took it for granted that they were the best player in the league. Josh Freeman being the latest, who was just cut/retired from the Alouettes because he looked horrible.

Talent can get you very far... but you're going to have to work at a certain point as well.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Actually the symptoms to me sounded like he might have been smoking "spice".
There were a couple of articles inferring that several members of the Auburn football team were found smoking it.

Rumors were that Greg Robinson and Tre Mason were two of the players.

Hopefully they're done with their drug experimenting days, (if indeed that was the problem).

Smoking Spice???
That is some House of Harkonnen shit

IMG_5037.JPG

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
* just noticing the complete absence of all the ROD members who so vigorously argued that tre Mason wasn't high on drugs but instead suffering from a Brain Injury - or more specificity a "mental illness"

I mean seriously- the dude is playing contact football again in Saskatoon - no comment??? Won't this hurt his brain???

Where are you guys and gals?
I recall some really impassioned speeches on that thread and people getting on my case for saying the dude was simply emotionally destroyed by Gurley and a vain freak whi loved to get higggggghhhhhhh

Anyway - the absence of comment I will take as an admission that we can finally put the GREAT ATC MYSTERY to bed -- drugs

tempests

Hall of Fame
* just noticing the complete absence of all the ROD members who so vigorously argued that tre Mason wasn't high on drugs but instead suffering from a Brain Injury - or more specificity a "mental illness"

I mean seriously- the dude is playing contact football again in Saskatoon - no comment??? Won't this hurt his brain???

Where are you guys and gals?
I recall some really impassioned speeches on that thread and people getting on my case for saying the dude was simply emotionally destroyed by Gurley and a vain freak whi loved to get higggggghhhhhhh

Anyway - the absence of comment I will take as an admission that we can finally put the GREAT ATC MYSTERY to bed -- drugs

The concerns of mental illness / concussions came from Tre's own family.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The concerns of mental illness / concussions came from Tre's own family.

The comments from the mom about having CTE or post-concussion mental issues due to football came waaay after those of us began to speculate anout the cause of his erratic behavior.

There were two camps before the mom even spoke out after his second arrest - it was either he was on drugs or he had a mental illness.

But more to your point - where is the outrage that Tre Mason has returned to football when his mom says he has a 10-year old brain cause of concussions? Where is the outrage and concern for his health?
All i read above were comments like "good luck" etc. anyway - i find it odd

IMG_5071.PNG

…..

Legend
I ask you....Who among us has never over indulged when sneakily lost into our own self manufactured transgressions?

None of us I say, None of us! Now, having matured and moved past our experimenting, we all seem fine to me.

Fare thee well Tre Mason and Zach Stacey, ya'll still my peeps!