OLD THREAD-Trade (speculation) Matt Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I won't. Stafford will be what he always has been. He's a guy capable of winning games on good teams. But he doesn't elevate a team. And he has a history of coming up short when it matters.
Agreed. Why would you trade for an older version of Goff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Very few QBs truly elevate a team, that's why they are so rare. I'm just saying Stafford hasn't exactly been set up well. He has never had a decent D and special teams. He has had eleven games in his entire career where he played with an RB who had a 100 yard rush game. Its negligent what they put around him.

Not saying that he will light it up, just think he has a chance to put a team over the top. Put it this way, I'd be shitting myself if the niners brought him in.
IF the Rams move on from Goff they're not going to go get another QB who couldn't elevate the players around him.

Brad Holmes is running things in Detroit now
No he's not. Dorsey will call the shots.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Detroit has said he's there to be a sounding board for Holmes a type of advisor not in charge it's the Holmes show.
Not buying all that. There are a ton of big decisions to make in Detroit and if you think Dorsey will sit back and let Brad make them we'll have to agree to disagree. :beer2::cool:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not buying all that. There are a ton of big decisions to make in Detroit and if you think Dorsey will sit back and let Brad make them we'll have to agree to disagree. :beer2::cool:
I think Dorsey didn't get a GM job and Detroit is paying him for a year to advise and guide their 1st time GM. I think it's a very smart even shrewd business decision by an organization that hasn't done this type of thing ever before. I think it lines up with this theory when you also notice they hired Anthony Lynn to be OC, a guy with head coaching experience, for their first time HC. I'd also expect for them to be smart and bring in a couple guys with DC experience to help Glenn just like they did in the FO and Offense. It's a couple very smart moves IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Dorsey didn't get a GM job and Detroit is paying him for a year to advise and guide their 1st time GM. I think it's a very smart even shrewd business decision by an organization that hasn't done this type of thing ever before. I think it lines up with this theory when you also notice they hired Anthony Lynn to be OC, a guy with head coaching experience, for their first time HC. I'd also expect for them to be smart and bring in a couple guys with DC experience to help Glenn just like they did in the FO and Offense. It's a couple very smart moves IMO.
You may be right but it's the structure of it that would concern me if I'm Brad. Last I read they have him paired with the coach on personnel where it's a joint thing but what happens when the coach disagrees? Whole thing looks like Dorsey is positioned to pull the strings.

Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong it just doesn't feel right to me on how they're selling it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You may be right but it's the structure of it that would concern me if I'm Brad. Last I read they have him paired with the coach on personnel where it's a joint thing but what happens when the coach disagrees? Whole thing looks like Dorsey is positioned to pull the strings.

Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong it just doesn't feel right to me on how they're selling it.
Sorry I just don't see some conspiracy or undermining of the GM. If they wanted Dorsey running the show he'd be the same thing as Demoff but he's not he's an advisor to the GM.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to make one final point about Matt Stafford. People have a nasty tendency to value QBs based on their box scores. Sean McVay likes to run the ball near the endzone, and that drives Goff's TD numbers down. That has not been true with Stafford in Detroit. Let me demonstrate:
Detroit's Offense
2015: 33 passing TDs + 7 rushing TDs (82.5% passing TD share)
2016: 24 passing TDs + 9 rushing TDs (72.7% passing TD share)
2017: 29 passing TDs + 10 rushing TDs (74.4% passing TD share)
2018: 22 passing TDs + 11 rushing TDs (66.7% passing TD share)
2019: 28 passing TDs + 7 rushing TDs (80% passing TD share)
2020: 27 passing TDs + 17 rushing TDs (61.4% passing TD share)

Rams' Offense
2017: 28 passing TDs + 17 rushing TDs (62.2% passing TD share)
2018: 32 passing TDs + 23 rushing TDs (58.2% passing TD share)
2019: 22 passing TDs + 20 rushing TDs (52.4% passing TD share)
2020: 20 passing TDs + 19 rushing TDs (51.3% passing TD share)

I'll address two points I expect to come up. First, I used the 2015 to 2020 time period for Stafford because 2015 is when he entered his prime and made his jump as a QB. Second, I expect somebody to argue that Stafford's lack of running game and our strong running game are the causes of this. However, our running game was one of the NFL's worst in 2019, yet our passing TD share was still way down.

What's my point here? Stafford's numbers have benefited in a major way from coaching that liked to throw near the endzone. Goff, on the other hand, has had his numbers driven down by McVay's affinity towards running the ball near the endzone. Now, I expect somebody will point out that McVay is a better offensive mind than the ones Stafford has had. I think that's true. But my point here is that when it comes to statistics, McVay's style has both advantages and disadvantages for Goff.

For example, Goff threw 22 TDs in 2019 with a bad running game. If we apply Stafford's passing TD shares to Goff by year based on the Rams' 2019 season, here's how many passing TDs Goff would have thrown:
2015: 35 passing TDs
2016: 31 passing TDs
2017: 31 passing TDs
2018: 28 passing TDs
2019: 34 passing TDs
2020: 26 passing TDs

Basically, I'm far from sold that Stafford is an upgrade on Goff. And Goff still has the potential to make a jump as he enters his prime years.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I've thought the Kershaw-Stafford connection was kind of neat and the media would probably have fun about them being "reunited" in LA, but as far as being an upgrade for the Rams, no, I don't see it.
hWF19zH63zARdZBCg4N6jElS42fcN07YU7wpWvdyJvI.jpg

View: https://www.facebook.com/bleacherreport/videos/matthew-stafford-realizes-the-lions-are-a-comedy-not-a-tragedy-gridironheights/390922491574463/

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Stafford looks like Jim Mcmahon and Gary Busey had a lovechild.
And he looks like he's sportin a chub in that pic.

This guy makes Goff look like a chiseled, athletic stud. Hard pass.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Several things.

Brad Holmes is running things in Detroit now, so we shouldn’t expect any more stupid personnel moves from the Lions. If Holmes is willing to trade Stafford away there must be a reason. Beware.

Stafford is hardly immobile. He’s no Lamar Jackson, but he is mobile as needed.

Stafford is only 32. That’s not old for a QB, especially if he’s in a friendly system run by a very adept O mind (like Shanny, for example?). Might be able to play and play well for the right team for another 8-10 years.

Having said all that I don’t see him as a Ram solution.

The reason is Stafford asked to be traded, I think mostly because his wife hates Detroit on top of it being the worst organization in the league.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford looks like Jim Mcmahon and Gary Busey had a lovechild.
And he looks like he's sportin a chub in that pic.

This guy makes Goff look like a chiseled, athletic stud. Hard pass.
Meat gazer.
~ @Loyal

oldnotdead

Legend
NO, wheres the cap money going to come from? The Rams will use smoke and mirrors and have to release guys as it is to sign their priority extensions. It makes no sense.

Sean needs to man up and admit his role in the offensive decline. He's retarded Goff's development then wonders why he has been slow to develop? His finesse offense has gone stale and has been exposed.

1. Get a real QB coach for Goff.
2. Change the offense to incorporate a power run game. If teams aren't afraid of a power inside run game the play action really doesn't work.
3. Get out of Goff's ear pre-snap and allow Goff to make his own reads instead of having to rely on McVay's reads which will be wrong
because the defenses now change in the last 15 seconds. Allow Goff to break the huddle with more than 5 seconds so he can make his reads. All those unnecessary time outs and delay of game penalties are on McVay most often than not. Sean needs to quit micro-managing each freaking play.

The change in QB play starts with McVay. Sean needs to change how he uses Goff. Remember all the times I've said that how well a player plays has as much to do with how he's used as much as the player's talent. In 2018 Goff showed he has elite talent. So if it's not being exploited properly that is 100% on Sean McVay.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The change in QB play starts with McVay. Sean needs to change how he uses Goff. Remember all the times I've said that how well a player plays has as much to do with how he's used as much as the player's talent. In 2018 Goff showed he has elite talent. So if it's not being exploited properly that is 100% on Sean McVay.
Two years is forever in the NFL.

Also when you have a QB regress you don't put more on him. You simplify for him and try to get through the season. This was the case in 2020 you can see the simplified reads and schemed throws, as well as the dumpoffs on third and long to avoid more mistakes.

McVay has to go with a guy who he thinks gives him the best chance to win. We aren't going to be privy to his thoughts on the matter either and tbh I don't want to see all that shit in the media. It's one thing to discuss that stuff here among fans who are all hardcore followers of the team. But you don't want that situation where the coach is dragging the guy through the mud and McVay would never do that to Goff he has always in fact protected him.

Truth is that McVay knows he's got limited time to get a championship. He's got guys on this roster that need to go for that to happen, like Blythe. But there will be other guys who don't fit either and that's football. Goff doesn't need any of us white knighting for him either, even if he moves on he's gonna get another chance because he's supremely talented. Shit look how many chances Bradford got lol.