OLD THREAD-Trade (speculation) Matt Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
Imagine what the Rams would have received for Kurt if Martz hadn't spent the previous year trying to ruin his career and use his lapdog Bernie to assassinate his character while he was at it? Stupid dickhead.

After Kurt's '02, and '03 opener? Not much at all.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Imagine what the Rams would have received for Kurt if Martz hadn't spent the previous year trying to ruin his career and use his lapdog Bernie to assassinate his character while he was at it? Stupid dickhead.

Bernie and the PD? I haven’t had to think about those times for a while. Bulger vs Warner - I’m hindsight looks like the most one-sided argument of all time. That god it’s 20 years ago now!

MachS

Hall of Fame
the Broncos gave up FAR more for Russell Wilson than we did for Stafford, and they're probably in a similar tier. We had just given the Jaguars pick 25 or 26, so the best the Lions could have expected from those two picks are probably in that range. The Broncos, however, had to give up a top 10 pick.
This is a great point. As good as Wilson is, Seattle's defense lead them to two super bowl runs, not him. Whereas Stafford was the driving force in the playoffs. We had zero run game. Our pass rush was great too but no way we win it all without Stafford's QB play. Also look at what Cleveland gave up for Watson. Great player but still a lot to prove on the field. Regular season dominance is one thing, but being your absolute best in the playoffs is something totally different. Look at A Rodgers for example. MVP level play during the year and completely shits the bed in the playoffs. It seemed like we gave up a decent amount at the time but now it's comical. Especially given how one of the 1st rounders was essentially to offset the Goff contract.

Tano

Legend
Great post. We disagree on Goff but that's fine.

The only thing I'll say - and I think this also serves as a response to some other posts talking about the trade compensation - is that the Broncos gave up FAR more for Russell Wilson than we did for Stafford, and they're probably in a similar tier. We had just given the Jaguars pick 25 or 26, so the best the Lions could have expected from those two picks are probably in that range. The Broncos, however, had to give up a top 10 pick.

So I don't think we could have gotten him for cheaper.
Yeah but I consider Goff to be better than Wentz so I feel we gave up whatever Indianapolis gave up for Wentz plus 2 firsts plus a third

But then again that is just my opinion.

Tano

Legend
Yeah, and you'd still have Goff and no Rings. And Aaron Donald would never get his Ring. You as our GM would be Billy Deveney.
Both of us would suck as GMs - sheesh

Your hatred of Goff just knows no bounds though.

5 first round picks even if we had them would have been too much with Goff. That's just going overboard.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
Both of us would suck as GMs - sheesh

Your hatred of Goff just knows no bounds though.

5 first round picks even if we had them would have been too much with Goff. That's just going overboard.

Context matters Friend. I said "WOULD" give up Five 1sts knowing full well I wouldn't HAVE TO. Was simply illustrating the importance to our team in the difference between the two. And if we went back in time somehow (crazily) and the only way I could get Staff and subtract Goff AND his Contract was to give up 5 of 'em I would still do it.

dang

Legend
Context matters Friend. I said "WOULD" give up Five 1sts knowing full well I wouldn't HAVE TO. Was simply illustrating the importance to our team in the difference between the two. And if we went back in time somehow (crazily) and the only way I could get Staff and subtract Goff AND his Contract was to give up 5 of 'em I would still do it.
We have Stafford. He’s a better QB than Goff. Let’s be thankful. Each person can decide if they are going to root for Goff in Detroit or not. But let’s move forward.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
We have Stafford. He’s a better QB than Goff. Let’s be thankful. Each person can decide if they are going to root for Goff in Detroit or not. But let’s move forward.

I'm down with that, and as much as I disliked Goff towards the end here I am rooting like hell for him to
dethrone the Packers and take Lambeau out of the postseason mix. Not afraid of going into Detroit or Minnesota in January, or Tampa for that matter, didn't want to risk Lambeau this past Playoffs OR in the future.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but I consider Goff to be better than Wentz so I feel we gave up whatever Indianapolis gave up for Wentz plus 2 firsts plus a third

But then again that is just my opinion.

Even if we add those picks, Denver gave up more for Wilson than we did for Stafford as the first Indy surrendered was still in the late teens.

Tano

Legend
Even if we add those picks, Denver gave up more for Wilson than we did for Stafford as the first Indy surrendered was still in the late teens.
I just looked at the Wilson trade and Denver gave way too much up for Wilson imho.

But if that is the standard, then the trade for Stafford is a fair trade.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm down with that, and as much as I disliked Goff towards the end here I am rooting like hell for him to
dethrone the Packers and take Lambeau out of the postseason mix. Not afraid of going into Detroit or Minnesota in January, or Tampa for that matter, didn't want to risk Lambeau this past Playoffs OR in the future.
You can thank the 9ers for that.The Rams have still lost to them 5 times in a row.

Stafford should have been picked off & The Rams losing 3 in a row with Stafford as the QB. Just saying.

Trading 5 1st would be just plan BAD if that were the case. Jared Goff also gets a bad Rap (Taylor). Then again Goff will do what he does & The Rams are SuperBowl Champs.

The Best thing about Matthew Stafford is he is about team first(WE) & he took a Ram friendly contract even if it’s still crazy coin.

The Rams as a team(organization) do things right.The preseason should be fun.It will give good insight on the young players & depth.