OLD THREAD-Trade (speculation) Matt Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

808RAMS

Rookie
Name
Spencer
Detroit wants to trade Stafford. Should the Rams offer Wolford and a 3rd round pick? We need someone who will challenge Goff.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
I really like Stafford and would love to have him, but....his salary and cost are prohibitive as I want someone to push Goff, not outright replace him, as his cap cost is prohibitive for at least one more season and think he still has more to prove for us.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would like to see it happen but I can't see how. Then again I said that when I read that Kaley Ramsey was available.:p

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think McVay wants an older and immobile QB. I think he wants good movement in and out of the pocket and high compete, that classic WCO combo of Montana, Young, etc. That would project more to a younger QB like of course Watson or to go cheaper and risky a guy like Darnold.

I'd be very surprised if Stafford is what they're thinking of.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I think Stafford in a new spot is going to surprise a lot of people. If the Colts for example got him... I might have them as superbowl favourites next year.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Some post are just funny to me.

Saffold, Watson yeap let's trade,maybe KC will send us Patrick too

Hopefully Demoff can send our cap back till 3000.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Stafford in a new spot is going to surprise a lot of people. If the Colts for example got him... I might have them as superbowl favourites next year.

I won't. Stafford will be what he always has been. He's a guy capable of winning games on good teams. But he doesn't elevate a team. And he has a history of coming up short when it matters.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I won't. Stafford will be what he always has been. He's a guy capable of winning games on good teams. But he doesn't elevate a team. And he has a history of coming up short when it matters.

tenor.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stafford is a good QB... but (playing along)... if I move on from Goff... it’s not with Stafford.

If the Rams intend to pivot, the skills they seek will be mobility. Thats the biggest box Goff doesn’t check off... and Stafford doesn’t either.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall

Very few QBs truly elevate a team, that's why they are so rare. I'm just saying Stafford hasn't exactly been set up well. He has never had a decent D and special teams. He has had eleven games in his entire career where he played with an RB who had a 100 yard rush game. Its negligent what they put around him.

Not saying that he will light it up, just think he has a chance to put a team over the top. Put it this way, I'd be shitting myself if the niners brought him in.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Stafford is a good QB... but (playing along)... if I move on from Goff... it’s not with Stafford.

If the Rams intend to pivot, the skills they seek will be mobility. Thats the biggest box Goff doesn’t check off... and Stafford doesn’t either.

I agree with this. I like Stafford a lot but I dont like him for the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very few QBs truly elevate a team, that's why they are so rare. I'm just saying Stafford hasn't exactly been set up well. He has never had a decent D and special teams. He has had eleven games in his entire career where he played with an RB who had a 100 yard rush game. Its negligent what they put around him.

Not saying that he will light it up, just think he has a chance to put a team over the top. Put it this way, I'd be shitting myself if the niners brought him in.

That's not true about the defense. For example, the year he choked away the playoff game against Dallas, the Lions had a top 3 defense in the NFL (#3 in PPG and #2 in YPG). As for the running game, that's a valid point, but a big part of that is that the Lions have been a very pass-first team during Stafford's time there. And they've spent their resources on being a pass-first team. Think about all the weapons during his time there (Calvin Johnson, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, Golden Taint, Danny Amendola, Nate Burleson, Anquan Boldin, Titus Young, Eric Ebron, Brandon Pettigrew, Tony Scheffler, etc.). They're a team that has put a lot of resources into the passing offense.

All I'm saying is that Stafford for most of his career has fallen somewhere between below average and above average on the starting QB scale. He's not going to drag a team down, but he's not going to solve a team's problems either (unless that team's only problem is that they need average QB play).

As far as the 49ers are concerned, I won't be stoked if they get him. He's better than Jimmy G. But frankly, it's not the worse outcome for us. He's older. He has had durability issues of late. And he's not a great QB. Kyle Shanahan will maximize Stafford's abilities. But I'd be much more afraid of the 49ers landing Zach Wilson or Justin Fields than I am them trading their first for Stafford. They'll be tough with Stafford, but Kyle Shanahan won't develop him into an elite QB.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Stafford makes much more sense with the Colts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford will be in a Patriots uniform next season, and I doubt they will even give up a 1st for him.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Stafford, too. He’s a decent QB. He has a pretty good arm, but he’s starting to age. He also tends to fold in big games. He’s not real mobile.
I agree we aren’t his best fit for him.

I think McVay wants a QB in the vein of himself. A mobile QB. I’d like to see if we can win with Wolford or Perkins.

Let’s do something about our OL!