Trade down scenarios

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I’m without a doubt in the trade down camp. I think it gives the Rams the best option to add depth and talent at the same time.

The trade down scenario I would like to see most is the Rams trading their 1st round pick (31st overall) to the Raiders for their 2nd round pick (35th overall) and 4th round (106th overall). I still don’t think this trade down achieves the balance of talent and depth. To strike that balance, I would then want the Rams to trade their first 3rd round pick (94th overall), and newly acquired 4th rounder (106th overall) with a 2020 3rd rounder to the Texans for their 2nd rounder (55th overall).

The Rams would now have the 35th overall, 55th overall, 99th overall picks. There are so many ways the Rams can go from there it’s incredible. The Rams could do something like Dalton Risner at 35, Rock Ya-Sin at 55, and Khalen Saunders at 99. That’s not necessarily my preference for players selected, but it seems like that’s where we could expect those guys to be chosen.

The other trade scenarios that make sense are The Rams trading their 1st to the Browns for their 2nd rounder (49th) and 3rd rounder (80th). I still prefer my first scenario to this one, but it would give the Rams 4 picks in the Top 100.

The final scenario I could see is pretty similar to the one with the Browns. Rams trade their 1st to the Dolphins for their 2nd rounder (48th) and 3rd rounder (78th). I see this scenario being the least likely due to the talent on the Dolphins roster.

I think Cleveland would be a willing trade partner because the Browns roster is really coming together. While the Browns would be giving up quantity, they would be getting a higher quality player. The Browns are probably only a few players away from having a really good roster. This trade allows them to grab one of those players.

I think the Raiders would be more than willing to make a deal with the Rams as well. Having 4 1st round selections would go a long way in helping overhaul their roster, but I’m not sure how willing the Texans would be to agree to the second part of this trade scenario though.

Which scenario do you guys like best if given the choice? Is there another scenario that you guys have thought about? Or do you just prefer the Rams keep their 1st round pick?

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
i like a scenario where the Rams trade down, with either Denver or the Raiders being my two favs
train

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's likely they trade down from the first - but it also wouldn't shock me if after they did that they use the pick they get plus another pick to trade up, netting them likely a much higher third than they have. I doubt they have a trade fest like last season, where they ended up with 11 picks, most of whom didn't actually play except on ST. Those players have had a season of working with Rams' coaches, I think that will provide additional depth - they need a couple of players from this draft who actually contribute in 2019

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's likely they trade down from the first - but it also wouldn't shock me if after they did that they use the pick they get plus another pick to trade up, netting them likely a much higher third than they have. I doubt they have a trade fest like last season, where they ended up with 11 picks, most of whom didn't actually play except on ST. Those players have had a season of working with Rams' coaches, I think that will provide additional depth - they need a couple of players from this draft who actually contribute in 2019
Agreed completely. That’s why I was advocating for my scenario with Oakland and Houston. Picking 35th, 55th, and 99th would bring in some talented players.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Tampa is looking for a safety, the Rams pick at 31 would give them their choice. Pick 31 for picks 39 and 107 gives the Rams 4 picks in the top 107.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Tampa is looking for a safety, the Rams pick at 31 would give them their choice. Pick 31 for picks 39 and 107 gives the Rams 4 picks in the top 107.
I’m all for this scenario, but I want the Rams to be able to trade back up. Two 2nd round picks would be great. If they can’t trade in to two 2nd round picks, then I am totally down with getting 4 picks in the top 100ish as well.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I’m without a doubt in the trade down camp. I think it gives the Rams the best option to add depth and talent at the same time.

The trade down scenario I would like to see most is the Rams trading their 1st round pick (31st overall) to the Raiders for their 2nd round pick (35th overall) and 4th round (106th overall). I still don’t think this trade down achieves the balance of talent and depth. To strike that balance, I would then want the Rams to trade their first 3rd round pick (94th overall), and newly acquired 4th rounder (106th overall) with a 2020 3rd rounder to the Texans for their 2nd rounder (55th overall).

The Rams would now have the 35th overall, 55th overall, 99th overall picks. There are so many ways the Rams can go from there it’s incredible. The Rams could do something like Dalton Risner at 35, Rock Ya-Sin at 55, and Khalen Saunders at 99. That’s not necessarily my preference for players selected, but it seems like that’s where we could expect those guys to be chosen.

The other trade scenarios that make sense are The Rams trading their 1st to the Browns for their 2nd rounder (49th) and 3rd rounder (80th). I still prefer my first scenario to this one, but it would give the Rams 4 picks in the Top 100.

The final scenario I could see is pretty similar to the one with the Browns. Rams trade their 1st to the Dolphins for their 2nd rounder (48th) and 3rd rounder (78th). I see this scenario being the least likely due to the talent on the Dolphins roster.

I think Cleveland would be a willing trade partner because the Browns roster is really coming together. While the Browns would be giving up quantity, they would be getting a higher quality player. The Browns are probably only a few players away from having a really good roster. This trade allows them to grab one of those players.

I think the Raiders would be more than willing to make a deal with the Rams as well. Having 4 1st round selections would go a long way in helping overhaul their roster, but I’m not sure how willing the Texans would be to agree to the second part of this trade scenario though.

Which scenario do you guys like best if given the choice? Is there another scenario that you guys have thought about? Or do you just prefer the Rams keep their 1st round pick?

That second scenario seems much more preferable to me. It wouldn't short change our draft next year and it would give us a second and three thirds to work with this year.

I don't see the advantage of 2 second round picks if we're losing draft capital gained by trading back and draft capital next year.

I would even rather trade back for higher round draft picks next year if that's possible. Give up a first this year for a second this year and next.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
That second scenario seems much more preferable to me. It wouldn't short change our draft next year and it would give us a second and three thirds to work with this year.

I don't see the advantage of 2 second round picks if we're losing draft capital gained by trading back and draft capital next year.

I would even rather trade back for higher round draft picks next year if that's possible. Give up a first this year for a second this year and next.
I’m down to do it because of how close the top prospects are from like 40-70 or so, and because this draft is rich in what the Rams need.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Cincinatti may be another possibility. Say they draft a QB at 11, they would need a T, would get their pick at the Rams spot of 31. Could go a couple of ways, trading 31 and 99 for 42 & 72. Of if the Rams wanted to add picks, 31 for 42, 110, 149, 183. Rams pick 4 times in first 110 selections, and adding 2 day 3 pick to the existing 4.