Torry Holt: Tavon Austin’s Biggest Impact Will be on Special Teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Torry Holt appeared on the Edmonds and McKernan Show on Tuesday. “Tavon Austin has been very quiet this camp, and I thought he was quiet the other night,” Holt said. “And for a guy who was picked 8th overall, it’s bothering me he’s been so quiet up to this point.” Holt acknowledges Austin’s natural ability, but doesn’t think his biggest contributions this year will be at the receiver position. “What it looks like, what is sound like, he’ll make his biggest impact on special teams,” Holt said. I know fans don’t necessarily wanna hear that, I really don’t wanna hear that, particularly with a guy being picked 8th overall at the receiver position.”

Listen to Holt Talk Rams

reggae

I believe our 3 best receivers are Quick, Britt and Bailey. Probably in that order

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Holt: Tavon Austin's Biggest Impact Will be on Special Teams
By Brendan Marks

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...-Biggest-Impact-Will-be-on-Special-Teams.aspx

When the St. Louis Rams traded up to select Tavon Austin in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft, many thought the franchise had finally gotten an elite playmaking receiver that’s long alluded them.

And while Austin supplied his fair share of highlights in his rookie campaign - including this special return TD against the Colts in Week 10 - he still has yet to consistently provide the spark the offense needs.

And according to former Rams receiver Torry Holt, he hasn’t had a great training camp thus far.

“Tavon Austin has been very quiet this camp, and I thought he was quiet the other night,” Holt said on The Edmonds and McKernan Show on Tuesday. “And for a guy who was picked 8th overall, it’s bothering me he’s been so quiet up to this point.”

Holt acknowledges Austin’s natural ability, but doesn’t think his biggest contributions this year will be at the receiver position.

“What it looks like, what is sound like, he’ll make his biggest impact on special teams,” Holt said. I know fans don’t necessarily wanna hear that, I really don't wanna hear that, particularly with a guy being picked 8th overall at the receiver position.”
With the Rams now completely back to a run-first team following their spread offense experiment early last season, and the fact some think he’s the fourth best receiver on the team right now insert Thomas link, it begs the question on if Austin is a good fit in this offense.

“That’s a legitimate question,” Holt said. “They want to run it more than they passed it, so that means there will be less opportunities for (the receivers). Where can (Austin) help the ball club if he’s not getting a lot of opportunities on the offense?”
Holt talked much more about the current state of the Rams with Edmonds and McKernan. You can listen to their whole conversation here.

RamsFan14

Starter
I really hope not (based on title), I'd like him to become that slot WR who can also still play outside at times. His quickness on offense can be very challenging for defenses to stop if we want to have a quick passing game. To me, that would be ideal. I need to listen to what Holt has to say tho, I'm just too lazy at the moment lol.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If we can get him carries running the ball, he should have a big impact on those as well. His yards per carry was very good last year, it would be insane not to give him reverses and pitch plays.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hmm... I don't know Torry?

40 receptions, 418yds... in 13 games and 3 starts... As a rookie... Spanish play book...

I think Tavon Austin makes some people eat their words, and not just Torry.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Don't underestimate the difference a scary-good dangerous punt returner can mean to a team.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Ok it's the 21st century. Football has evolved. A LOT. players are drafted and used to play multiple positions multiple schemes. many players are like Swiss Army knives they don't always need a specific position title. Jimmy Graham a TE really? dudes a receiver. No Tavon is not a pure WR and doesn't have to be. the backfield the slot the return man all rolled up. But he very possibly could end up having the most all purpose yards and points on the team. he's the impact player because anywhere you put him it's like rolling the dice it's only a matter of chances cus all he needs is a little space and he's gone. so why need a label?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ok it's the 21st century. Football has evolved. A LOT. players are drafted and used to play multiple positions multiple schemes. many players are like Swiss Army knives they don't always need a specific position title. Jimmy Graham a TE really? dudes a receiver. No Tavon is not a pure WR and doesn't have to be. the backfield the slot the return man all rolled up. But he very possibly could end up having the most all purpose yards and points on the team. he's the impact player because anywhere you put him it's like rolling the dice it's only a matter of chances cus all he needs is a little space and he's gone. so why need a label?

AustinClaps.gif

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I find Torry almost as hard to read as to listen to, haha. English escapes him all too often....

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm gonna say this...I thought when the Rams drafted TA, he was a "one trick pony"...but after last year to try to dismiss this guy as a "trick play" type of player, is to sell the guy short...he's a multi-purpose WR...and he can burn you anywhere. I don't think you'll see the drops from last year this year. This is a kid that works at his craft.

I can't agree with Holt, because teams KNOW this guy can BURN YOU ON STs...they will work to that end.

cracengl

Rookie
I think beyond the criticism that Schotty needs to be creative with him, his value really depends on the rest of the offense operating. Tavon is not the guy that can be the "only guy" in your offensive repetoire. If you want to fault him for being picked 8th, base it on that.
Here's what I mean: You get rolling with Stacy out of the backfield. The defense starts stacking the box, you run play actions to Britt, Quick. Quick slants. Whatever. They take that away, you find Cook or Kendricks in the seam. Once you have more than one dimension to your offensive attack, you get it to Tavon and let him do his thing when they aren't necessarily expecting it. Bottom line, if you have all your skill guys executing and being potential weapons, you can't defend them all. And if Tavon is more of a big play weapon than an old reliable, I'm cool with that if that big play or two puts points on the board.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think beyond the criticism that Schotty needs to be creative with him, his value really depends on the rest of the offense operating. Tavon is not the guy that can be the "only guy" in your offensive repetoire. If you want to fault him for being picked 8th, base it on that.
Here's what I mean: You get rolling with Stacy out of the backfield. The defense starts stacking the box, you run play actions to Britt, Quick. Quick slants. Whatever. They take that away, you find Cook or Kendricks in the seam. Once you have more than one dimension to your offensive attack, you get it to Tavon and let him do his thing when they aren't necessarily expecting it. Bottom line, if you have all your skill guys executing and being potential weapons, you can't defend them all. And if Tavon is more of a big play weapon than an old reliable, I'm cool with that if that big play or two puts points on the board.
Hodor. (translation: liked)

lockdnram21

Legend
Hmm... I don't know Torry?

40 receptions, 418yds... in 13 games and 3 starts... As a rookie... Spanish play book...

I think Tavon Austin makes some people eat their words, and not just Torry.

Yea people gone eat they words I'm thinking 55 catches 1000 + yards 10 TD (ALL-PURPOSE)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I'll also add; TA brings to the field a skillset unlike any other right now. Perhaps a young Reggie Bush with 4 shots espresso... But potentially a Faulk/Sanders set of skills that just can't be compared to existing players.

TA isn't in the Sanders/Faulk conversation yet - and rightfully so - but his skills are in that freakish category and I am firmly in the camp that believes this guy becomes a breed of his own in this league.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Heresy, I know, but have never been a huge Holt fan.
He benefitted from the GSOT, and especially from being opposite Bruce.
He really should STFU about Austin, after one year, given the state of the franchise two years ago. JMO. :cautious:

Athos

Legend
Heresy, I know, but have never been a huge Holt fan.
He benefitted from the GSOT, and especially from being opposite Bruce.
He really should STFU about Austin, after one year, given the state of the franchise two years ago. JMO. :cautious:

Garbage. You don't have to like what Holt said, but you can't say he just benefited from playing opposite Bruce and the GSOT. And honestly, he may be right. I never hear a lot about Austin in the Coach's practice summaries. The WRs making the biggest plays are Britt, Quick, and Bailey. Makes sense honestly, if Quick has awakened as they are the most talented WRs from a potential standpoint.

Austin was never drafted, imo, to be a true WR. And he may never be the WR people envision him. But, he's a swiss army knife. He'll get big chunks of yards all over on offense.

cracengl

Rookie
I'll also add; TA brings to the field a skillset unlike any other right now. Perhaps a young Reggie Bush with 4 shots espresso... But potentially a Faulk/Sanders set of skills that just can't be compared to existing players.

TA isn't in the Sanders/Faulk conversation yet - and rightfully so - but his skills are in that freakish category and I am firmly in the camp that believes this guy becomes a breed of his own in this league.
I think/hope you are correct. The thing I find strange is that I remember people last year comparing him to Cobb and Harvin, but cautioning that because it may take time to develop, his initial value may come mainly in the return game. Now that what they said has happened they are faulting him for it and acting like what they said wasn't supposed to happen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think/hope you are correct. The thing I find strange is that I remember people last year comparing him to Cobb and Harvin, but cautioning that because it may take time to develop, his initial value may come mainly in the return game. Now that what they said has happened they are faulting him for it and acting like what they said wasn't supposed to happen.

For a guy (like Holt) to categorize a rookie as limited (ceiling) to ST is disappointing. He should know what those shoes feel like.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Garbage. You don't have to like what Holt said, but you can't say he just benefited from playing opposite Bruce and the GSOT. And honestly, he may be right. I never hear a lot about Austin in the Coach's practice summaries. The WRs making the biggest plays are Britt, Quick, and Bailey. Makes sense honestly, if Quick has awakened as they are the most talented WRs from a potential standpoint.

Austin was never drafted, imo, to be a true WR. And he may never be the WR people envision him. But, he's a swiss army knife. He'll get big chunks of yards all over on offense.

Austin is a beast. He WILL be our best slot receiver this season. I said this earlier, but if Quick, Britt, and Austin excel the first four games, Bailey may not see the field as much as you guys think.

And wtf is a true WR? If he lines up in the slot and catches passes, then that's a true WR in my books.