Top 5 Los Angeles Rams Rookie Seasons Of All-Time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Top 5 Los Angeles Rams Rookie Seasons Of All-Time​

The Los Angeles Rams have a rich history of drafting impactful rookies. From the moment they took LA by storm moving from Cleveland, to their recent Super Bowl run, talented young players have contributed to the team’s success.

But which rookies have truly stood out as the best? LAFB dove into the archives to explore the Top 5 Los Angeles Rams rookie seasons of all time. These young stars not only impressed early in their careers, but their performances left a lasting impact on the franchise.

Puka Nacua, WR – 2023

In 2023, rookie wide receiver Puka Nacua defied expectations with a record-breaking season for the Los Angeles Rams. Drafted 177th overall, Nacua quickly established himself as a reliable target for quarterback Matthew Stafford. He set both the NFL rookie record for receptions with 105, hauling in 1,486 yards and scoring 6 touchdowns. His blend of route-running savvy, strong hands, and big-play ability made him a key contributor to the Rams’ offensive attack, silencing any doubts about his selection.

Eric Dickerson, RB – 1983

Eric Dickerson exploded onto the scene in 1983, redefining what a rookie running back could accomplish. Selected second overall by the Los Angeles Rams, Dickerson shattered NFL rookie records with a staggering 1,808 rushing yards, a mark that still stands today. His dominance wasn’t limited to yardage; he also bulldozed his way to 18 rushing touchdowns, showcasing both power and elusiveness. Dickerson’s immediate impact propelled him to Offensive Rookie of the Year and All-Pro honors, setting the stage for a legendary career and forever etching his name in NFL history.

Deacon Jones, DL – 1961

Drafted in the 14th round out of Mississippi Valley State, Jones recorded 9.5 sacks in his 14 games played. This number has stood for over 60 years as the Rams’ rookie sack record. His raw talent and relentless pursuit of the quarterback were undeniable.

Deacon Jones would go on to revolutionize the defensive end position, earning the nickname “The Secretary of Defense” for his pass-rushing style and becoming a crucial part of the Rams’ famed “Fearsome Foursome” defensive line.

Isiah Robertson, LB – 1971

Drafted 10th overall, Isiah Robertson faced initial criticism for a lackluster start. However, he quickly turned things around, earning a starting role at strongside linebacker and silencing his doubters. His speed and defensive instincts were on display throughout the season, as he racked up four interceptions, and 15 fumble recoveries, and led the team in tackles. His impressive rookie campaign earned him the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year award and solidified him as a key piece of the Rams’ defense for years to come.

Jerome Bettis, RB – 1993

In 1993, Jerome Bettis, nicknamed “The Bus” for his powerful running style, rumbled onto the scene for the Los Angeles Rams. Drafted 10th overall, Bettis didn’t disappoint. He immediately established himself as a workhorse back, leading the league in rushing attempts (294) and finishing second in rushing yards (1,429) – a remarkable feat for a rookie.

His ability to break tackles and churn out tough yards injected a new dimension into the Rams’ offense. Bettis’ rookie season wasn’t just about raw numbers; he displayed maturity and leadership beyond his years. His relentless drive and punishing carries earned him the prestigious Offensive Rookie of the Year award, a fitting start to a Hall of Fame career that would see him become a fan favorite in both Los Angeles and Pittsburgh.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO - Steve Avila got seriously over looked.Just think if Bobby Evan’s was starting at LG last season.Stafford would have been injuries & Wentz would have run for 100 & passed for 1,500 yards if lucky?
K.Turners rookie year was pretty good in his self right.Stat wise he was as good as AD99. DT’s & O’Lineman don’t put up eye popping stats.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Deacon of Defense. A little too young to appreciate Deacon, but boy, did I sure love my Uncle calling me Den The Deacon.
1718110296313.png

Flint

Pro Bowler
Deacon’s 9.5 is a Rams rookie record but his overall total isn’t recognized? Doesn’t seem that difficult for the nfl to go through every game he played to get an exact number. Is it that the nfl would rather have Lawrence Taylor and Michael Straham than some old guys from the 70’s as the record holders?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Deacon’s 9.5 is a Rams rookie record but his overall total isn’t recognized? Doesn’t seem that difficult for the nfl to go through every game he played to get an exact number. Is it that the nfl would rather have Lawrence Taylor and Michael Straham than some old guys from the 70’s as the record holders?
I believe his highest total was 26. Someone went through every game.

The league obviously wants to glorify its modern day heroes instead of recognizing a record that is unlikely to be broken.

If, by some miracle, plus the expanded 18 game season, some player were to surpass Deacon’s record, then we’d suddenly hear all of the league mentioning Jones record sack total.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
“Don’t forget my 14 interceptions as a rookie” ~ Night Train
No Blue Font needed.

14 interceptions in a 12-game season, when teams did not throw the ball more than 25X per game ... Wow!!!

Another ... Before ALL Our Time Guy ... would be Wide Receiver Bucky Pope, out of tiny Catawba College.
In Pope's rookie season in 1964, he had just 25 receptions but averaged 31.4 yards-per-catch ... also, Wow!!!

These old-time Rams deserve mention. For one reason, those was a couple of amazing stats for the time.

The other ... More Significant ... reason would be their Nicknames.
Dick "Night Train" Lane; and Bucky Pope, the "Catawba Claw".

Nicknames should never be forced. The great ones stand the test-of-time.

I would love to watch a young Night Train Lane try to cover the Catawba Claw. WOW!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a shame that the NFL's definition of a rookie doesn't apply to Kurt Warner, because in a 1st complete year as a starter, dude wins a Super Bowl. The year before he was recognized by the Rams and hardly anyone else, as a great practice squad QB. He may have been available for a few games at the end of the 1998 season, but certainly the Rams brass were not impressed enough because they made moves to acquire Trent Green from the Skins (?) before the 1999 season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That’s such BS !! Was such a different time.You have to do your numbers if you want to count correctly.

I do get what you’re saying,but get over it!! The NFL is a whole different monster now a days.
—What I’m saying is the numbers wouldn’t add up & history is history.We can be purest,but even then it still doesn’t make much sense.
I know my era,and being a Rams Fan hasn’t always been easy.There is more I want or have forgotten than what I remember .
—Good time to be a Rams Fan right NOW !!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a shame that the NFL's definition of a rookie doesn't apply to Kurt Warner, because in a 1st complete year as a starter, dude wins a Super Bowl. The year before he was recognized by the Rams and hardly anyone else, as a great practice squad QB. He may have been available for a few games at the end of the 1998 season, but certainly the Rams brass were not impressed enough because they made moves to acquire Trent Green from the Skins (?) before the 1999 season.
Well, "the movie" called him a rookie so there's that.
Alas, if Warner got the credit for being a rookie, then so would the J.O. Brady

Tano

Legend
No Blue Font needed.

14 interceptions in a 12-game season, when teams did not throw the ball more than 25X per game ... Wow!!!

Another ... Before ALL Our Time Guy ... would be Wide Receiver Bucky Pope, out of tiny Catawba College.
In Pope's rookie season in 1964, he had just 25 receptions but averaged 31.4 yards-per-catch ... also, Wow!!!

These old-time Rams deserve mention. For one reason, those was a couple of amazing stats for the time.

The other ... More Significant ... reason would be their Nicknames.
Dick "Night Train" Lane; and Bucky Pope, the "Catawba Claw".

Nicknames should never be forced. The great ones stand the test-of-time.

I would love to watch a young Night Train Lane try to cover the Catawba Claw. WOW!
Don't forget Crazy Legs

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Don't forget Crazy Legs
GREAT nickname! An all-timer.

I just didn't mention him because Crazy Legs did not explode onto the scene as a rookie.

On the List above is David "Deacon" Jones. The Rams have had some great nicknames.

tempests

Hall of Fame
There were some games in the 1960s where no individual defensive stats were kept. Whatever happened in those games has been lost to history.

Pro Football Reference crediting him with 173 sacks is simply their best effort to put a number to it. But I know Deacon said it was more than that.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Nighttrain Lane's rookie season of 14 INTs is still a record today.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It should be similar to MLBs rookie playing time requirements. Like a specific number of games as a game day active.