Too early to talk about how the Brockers return affects Rams draft needs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don’t think so. What better topic just weeks before the draft?

First let me stipulate a couple of things. Snead will likely trade down if he sees wanted players that would remain within reach AND Snead will take BPA among several Ram ‘need’ positions.

Having said that I see the following as biggest Ram position needs:

Edge
RB
ILB

And probably in that order.

Some will say OL and our #52 could well be an OL player if certain players fell and I agree. But I don’t think OL is among our top 3 needs, tbh.

A Safety will likely be drafted, but it will be for depth/development, I think.

Which position group will be the first Ram pick? Depends on how Snead/McVay and the position coaches feel about Obo, Ebu, Kiser, Howard, Patrick, and several other players, frankly. Plus RB looks like a screaming need that must be addressed by round 4, at least.

So, it all depends on who falls and whether Snead can engineer a trade down or two.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Again like you say depending on who falls maybe a OLB - Braun, doubtful any of the ILBs, definitely should have the pick of the litter of C's a top G, and the 2nd or 3rd RB with Swift and maybe Dobbins/Taylor off the board. Maybe Jackson LT falls to #52.

If the Rams are dropping back it is most likely for a C. We lose the RB, G, LT if we do.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
Not sure why, but I feel a lot better about the Rams roster with Brock back. Suddenly the D looks OK with a little draft help, and the draft seems possibly enough to fill major holes.
BC

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Some will say OL and our #52 could well be an OL player if certain players fell and I agree. But I don’t think OL is among our top 3 needs, tbh.
yeah so many think with more experience our ol will be fine but I want one that I could run behind. there are just so many questions about our ol that I would like the first two pick going to ol plus a fb later in the draft. I know this won't happen but its what I would like. I can always dream.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Not sure why, but I feel a lot better about the Rams roster with Brock back. Suddenly the D looks OK with a little draft help, and the draft seems possibly enough to fill major holes.
BC
JUST OKAY?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yes, it's too early. The correct time to start talking about it is a 2:18 PM, PDT, 3/27/2020.

Thanks for your cooperation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would guess that Snead would be happy with finding an excellent edge rusher with that #52 selection with both Floyd & Ebukam being UFA's this time next year. However, an elite RB who would fill the snap replacement for Gurley would make a serious impact early too.

Rams have a big need to replace their #1 & #2 2019 ER sack leaders (Fowler & Matthews) on the roster. Sure Floyd was signed but you have to look towards the future 2021 ER's .......just makes too much sense. Defensive rookies usually fair out better than offensive rookies except RB's.

A DB is up there too with Jalen Ramsey, John Johnson III, Troy Hill & Darious Williams all being involved in free agency in 2021.

So I see it this way
ER
RB
DB

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I don’t think so. What better topic just weeks before the draft?

First let me stipulate a couple of things. Snead will likely trade down if he sees wanted players that would remain within reach AND Snead will take BPA among several Ram ‘need’ positions.

Having said that I see the following as biggest Ram position needs:

Edge
RB
ILB

And probably in that order.

A Safety will likely be drafted, but it will be for depth/development, I think.

Which position group will be the first Ram pick? Depends on how Snead/McVay and the position coaches feel about Obo, Ebu, Kiser, Howard, Patrick, and several other players, frankly. Plus RB looks like a screaming need that must be addressed by round 4, at least.

So, it all depends on who falls and whether Snead can engineer a trade down or two.

My guess: Top pick now goes to the O depending as always on availability of best players. Now a toss-up between o-line and RB. Edge or inside linebacker possible. Can't rule out WR in a deep year for receivers with Cooks' longevity in doubt.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
I just have an itch they are going to go Rb in the 2nd, I definitely could be wrong, but just a gut feeling that's where they are headed.

TheTackle

Starter
The DL and secondary are both strengths LBs look OK not great

RB is solid, same with OL, with WRs and TEs great. I love Goff but it seems clear to me we will be a much better team if we find better players on the OL followed by LB and RB

A strong running game will be key to winning, especially if we play the run better on D

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The DL and secondary are both strengths LBs look OK not great

RB is solid, same with OL, with WRs and TEs great. I love Goff but it seems clear to me we will be a much better team if we find better players on the OL followed by LB and RB

A strong running game will be key to winning, especially if we play the run better on D
Agreed I keep pounding the table to upgrade the OL. We are going nowhere without one.

We need two big additions: a superior G and draft the best C if that person is not taken early getting a mediocre C has no value we have that in Allen. Between Biadasz, Cushenberry, Ruiz, Hennessey there has got to be a good C there. Or use it on a top G, but our Run game will never work without better OL play. We need to to improve the line.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am more concerned about OL than anything else. It was our lowest rated group and
has an every down effect on our franchise player and any RB trying to find rhythm or just contribute.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I keep pounding the table to upgrade the OL. We are going nowhere without one.

We need two big additions: a superior G and draft the best C....
Rookie Centers coming in and contributing at an above-average level, right off the bat, are a rarity.

Most successful centers are drafted in the 3-4 round range and then develop physically and mentally behind a veteran for a year or two or three.
They re-signed Blythe for one reason only - to be our starting Center.
Granted, his strength is not run blocking.
But he's a good pass-blocker and rarely makes mistakes in the exchange or holding or having or creating a false start.
He is actually everything Scott Wells was supposed to be.

They don't pay a guy $2,000,000 to be a backup.

The thing about an offensive line is it has to operate as a unit, in sync, more so than any other part of the team.
Success comes through repetition and familiarity with the guy lining up next to you and feeling sure that he's going to do his job so you can concentrate on your job.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they traded Havenstein and his contract and went with the same lineup they finished the second half of the season with;
Whitworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans

That was actually our most successful offensive line lineup of 2019.
They have plenty of tape on these guys now and they can work on their weaknesses.

And they provide one of the most important things you need on an offensive line.

Continuity.

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would guess that Snead would be happy with finding an excellent edge rusher with that #52 selection with both Floyd & Ebukam being UFA's this time next year. However, an elite RB who would fill the snap replacement for Gurley would make a serious impact early too.

Rams have a big need to replace their #1 & #2 2019 ER sack leaders (Fowler & Matthews) on the roster. Sure Floyd was signed but you have to look towards the future 2021 ER's .......just makes too much sense. Defensive rookies usually fair out better than offensive rookies except RB's.

A DB is up there too with Jalen Ramsey, John Johnson III, Troy Hill & Darious Williams all being involved in free agency in 2021.

So I see it this way
ER
RB
DB
any chance Matthews returns for the league minimum? I doubt he wants to leave so cal again

Ram65

Legend
It is great that the Rams have a very solid DL now with good depth for a change. This opens options for the draft.

1. RB is important but, does not have to be an early pick. Henderson is and should be the #1 RB.

2. Edge OLBer is always important. No long term contracts outside on the books,

3. ILBer has some question marks with limited experience.

4. Offensive Line can use some upgrades.

I doubt many positions are off the table outside a starting and backup QB. Rams could make some moves before the draft. As of now, the early favorites for me would be

O Line/LBers
RB
Safety/WR/DL

I see Snead doing his thing dropping down and getting an extra pick. He and the Rams seem to target players. Depending on who is available they take the best players with fit they can get.

Last edited:

MachS

Hall of Fame
OL
ILB
EDGE
RB

I think OL is obviosuly the most important unit we need to improve on our team. Why draft a RB early when we already have a starter in Henderson? Especially if the o-line in front of them is hot garbage. The o-line has to be upgraded if we're going to have any chance of competing and making it back to the playoffs. Funny how 2 years removed from the super bowl we're talking about just making the playoffs. A line keeps Goff clean and able to perform while also helping whoever is at RB. Im tired of all this Corbett, Blythe, Allen, Noteboom bullshit. We need talented OL personnel who impose their will, not just try to hold their ground.

After the improvement to our interior D line, Im super excited for the brock, robinson, AD, and SJD rotations. But without good ILBs behind we wont be able to really shut down the run. Maybe one of the starters is on the roster, but we need to draft an ILB with one of our two first picks.

Edge..I think we have some young upside here, but not the most pressing need. Can always use more talent rushing the passer, but to me interior D line and ILB were far bigger needs for us.

RB... Its the Henderson show now boys. Improving the line in front of him will help Goff have a better year and in turn help the running game. Draft someone in round 4 or 5 to supplement the backfield and prepare Henderson to carry the load this season.

dang

Legend
so
Rookie Centers coming in and contributing at an above-average level, right off the bat, are a rarity.

Most successful centers are drafted in the 3-4 round range and then develop physically and mentally behind a veteran for a year or two or three.
They re-signed Blythe for one reason only - to be our starting Center.
Granted, his strength is not run blocking.
But he's a good pass-blocker and rarely makes mistakes in the exchange or holding or having or creating a false start.
He is actually everything Scott Wells was supposed to be.

They don't pay a guy $2,000,000 to be a backup.

The thing about an offensive line is it has to operate as a unit, in sync, more so than any other part of the team.
Success comes through repetition and familiarity with the guy lining up next to you and feeling sure that he's going to do his job so you can concentrate on your job.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they traded Havenstein and his contract and went with the same lineup they finished the second half of the season with;
Whitworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans

That was actually our most successful offensive line lineup of 2019.
They have plenty of tape on these guys now and they can work on their weaknesses.

And they provide one of the most important things you need on an offensive line.

Continuity.
what are they doing with Havenstein in your scenario?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

So I see it this way
ER
RB
DB
Plus there is value in that round 4 area for a solid interior OL.

Would not be surprised if a trade down nets an additional 4th.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think OL is obviosuly the most important unit we need to improve on our team. Why draft a RB early when we already have a starter in Henderson? Especially if the o-line in front of them is hot garbage. The o-line has to be upgraded if we're going to have any chance of competing and making it back to the playoffs. Funny how 2 years removed from the super bowl we're talking about just making the playoffs. A line keeps Goff clean and able to perform while also helping whoever is at RB. Im tired of all this Corbett, Blythe, Allen, Noteboom bullshit. We need talented OL personnel who impose their will, not just try to hold their ground.......................
I would agree with you MachS that the OL must be improved. Question for you ...Why has Snead & McVay produced an OL as you say is "Hot Garbage".

Snead/McVay are responsible for drafting the below OL'ers or signing the youthful OL'ers or the hot garbage as you claim:
Joseph Noteboom 3rd rd 2018
Brian Allen 4th rd 2018
Jamil Demby 6th rd 2018
Jeremiah Kolone UDFA 2018/WWC
Austin Corbett 2nd rd 2018/Trade
Bobby Evans 3rd rd 2019
David Edwards 5th rd 2019
Chandler Brewer UDFA 2019
Coleman Shelton UDFA 2019/WWC
Nate Trewyn UDFA 2019/WWC

Then Snead/McVay resigned the 3 following current veteran OL'ers:
Rob Havenstein
Andrew Whitworth
Austin Blythe

Why has Snead/McVay been so incompetent in finding, bringing & signing NON "hot garbage OL'ers listed above as you state they have been?

Last edited: