Too early to know whether replay review for pass interference will be renewed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rich McKay: Too early to know whether replay review for pass interference will be renewed

At times during the 2019 season, it seemed to be a foregone conclusion that replay review for pass interference calls and non-cals would not be renewed for a second season. Now, it’s not so clear that the biggest source of 100th season consternation will be scrapped.

Via Mark Maske of the Washington Post, Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay said Sunday that it’s too early to comment on whether he believes the procedure will be or should be renewed when owners gather in March. Because it was adopted on a one-year-only basis, it will take 24 votes to keep it in place. Once it becomes a permanent rule change, it will take 24 votes to scrap it.

“You have to decide from a cost-benefit analysis standpoint: Is this worth it?” McKay told Maske. “Are we getting enough bang for our buck as far as the game goes? And that’s one that the clubs have to answer that question. . . .

“I think we all saw the frustration that we all had during the year. And I do think it began to get better. But I want to see it all and the total picture and not deal from emotion.”

Even when it began to get better, it still wasn’t good. Nearly every application of it was unpredictable and, at times, flat-out maddening, thanks in large part to a standard that shifted and changed throughout the season, always without warning.

Of course, if the league doesn’t renew replay review of pass interference calls and non-calls, it will need another device for fixing mistakes like the one that applied an asterisk to the outcome of the 2018 NFC Championship. And the only viable alternative is the sky judge concept, which the league seems to be resisting, likely in whole or in part because of the cost.

Even though the NFL will make plenty of money from legalized gambling and even though sky judge could help avoid the kind of outcomes that would spark a gambling-fueled public outcry, the league ultimately authorizes expenditures that it deems necessary. If replay review of pass interference calls and non-calls can be improved to the point at which it can be regarded as satisfactory, it will be much cheaper than hiring 17 extra officials who would, ideally, serve as an extra set of eyes that isn’t operating among the gladiators, and thus isn’t primarily concerned with avoiding serious injury or worse.

Still, sky judge would be a better process, both as to pass interference and any other calls for which the officials on the field would benefit from the immediate perspective of another official who isn’t at risk of being trampled — and who isn’t limited to flashes and blurs that the naked eye often can’t discern.

Like so many other things, however, the NFL won’t embrace sky judge until it absolutely has to. Despite the flaws inherent to replay review of pass interference calls and non-calls, the NFL clearly doesn’t believe that it’s absolutely necessary to write the check for sky judge now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wonder where the rule about “reviewing every scoring play” sits?

Maybe it’s not the fault of that rule... but every time the Rams score there is this “celebrate/don’t-celebrate” hesitation to allow for replay.

It’s zapped some of the fun out of TD’s. It’s almost like the celebration gets broken into 2 smaller pieces as a result.

Flint

Pro Bowler
“It will need some other device to fix mistakes like the one in the nfc championship game”, this kind of attitude is wrecking sports imo. This obsession with fixing everything is maddening, now fans expect something to be done in every situation despite pretty clear evidence that the situation may not be resolved or a new problem created. The ability to challenge calls not made hadn’t been done before I don’t think, and to think that it would work exactly as planned was arrogant. The question now is do they have the guts to remove this ridiculous rule that apparently will never be implemented in a meaningful way. The scary thing is that it’s just a given that we need to replace this rule with something else like a “sky judge” whatever that is. For some reason the rule makers believe that we can right every wrong and get everything right.

Ram65

Legend
I think the sky judge is over the top. Pun not intended.

This is the best article with totals through week 12. Asshole Face is quoted here because the 'aints got called for PI on a challenge. HaHa! The later part of the article is a good read.

I didn't like the idea of challenging PI because as the article says it is a subjective call. I think the league needs a better definition of the rule for pass interference. As the announcers say "they let them play" in the playoffs which means more physical contact by both sides. Why not all year long. I also think there are too many offensive PIs that don't get called.

As far as keeping the PI challenge. May as well keep it now but, be a little more liberal in calling the PIs.

Pass Interference or Not? No One in the N.F.L. Seems to Know
The league responded to an egregious non-call in the playoffs by making the penalty, or absence of it, reviewable. But the rarity of successful challenges has been confounding.

merlin_164567127_c35a4c42-10bd-4573-a35c-d600e274ff4f-articleLarge.jpg

No flag was thrown when Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey collided with Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins in Week 11. “I have no idea what pass interference is anymore. No idea,” Texans Coach Bill O’Brien said afterward.

No flag was thrown when Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey collided with Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins in Week 11. “I have no idea what pass interference is anymore. No idea,” Texans Coach Bill O’Brien said afterward.Credit...Todd Olszewski/Getty Images
Ben Shpigel
By Ben Shpigel
  • Nov. 26, 2019

To the chagrin of dumbfounded coaches and confused teams, perplexed broadcast crews and enraged fans, every week across the N.F.L.’s vast empire one player interferes with another before a pass arrives — and goes unpunished for it.
In these moments, when yellow penalty flags remain lodged in officials’ pockets, aggrieved coaches weigh emotion against reason: Do they challenge the non-call, hoping that by sheer luck it will be overruled by the new video review mechanism? Or do they stew on the sideline, red flag pocketed, and resign themselves to the unlikelihood of a reversal?
Instead of preventing egregious mistakes, such as the one that most likely cost New Orleans a berth in the last Super Bowl, expanding video review to include pass interference looks like another blunder.
After 12 weeks of wasted challenges and lost timeouts, of inconsistency and obfuscation, the league’s erratic application of the defined standard for overturning an on-field decision — “clear and obvious visual evidence” — has made the football masses yearn for simpler times, such as when no one knew what constituted a catch. Over all, through Week 12, 15 of 77 reviews of pass interference were overturned, though nearly half of those reversals — seven of 15 — were initiated by the officials in the replay booth, who are responsible for challenges in the last two minutes of the half.
ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story
“The cumulative effect of the misses, plus the replay spotlight on these misses, has really taken its toll,” Terry McAulay, a longtime N.F.L. official who is now a rules analyst for NBC, said in a telephone interview.The questionable calls have dented confidence in a mechanism ostensibly intended to restore it after a mess of an N.F.C. championship game, in which Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman, without consequence, walloped Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis before the ball arrived.

• Unlock more free articles.

With the endorsement of New Orleans Coach Asshole Face, the N.F.L. competition committee in March pushed owners to make pass interference subject to replay on a one-season trial basis. The reviews are handled by the officiating department, headed by the senior vice president for officiating, Alberto Riveron, in New York. Coaches receive two challenges per game and a third if both are successful. If they lose a challenge, they also lose a timeout.

Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones’s play on Giants receiver Golden Tate did not warrant a flag.

Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones’s play on Giants receiver Golden Taint did not warrant a flag.Credit...Winslow Townson/Associated Press
Eagles cornerback Avonte Maddox got away with this play on Packers receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Eagles cornerback Avonte Maddox got away with this play on Packers receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling.Credit...Jeffrey Phelps/Associated Press
For so long, the N.F.L. relied on replay to fix objective situations, such as whether a ball-carrier stepped out of bounds or was down by contact. It either happened, or it didn’t.
ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story

By contrast, pass interference is, by nature, subjective. An infraction that might seem clear and obvious to one officiating crew might be disregarded by another. Adding video review, in effect, created separate criteria for pass interference. The rule book’s definition — any act more than a yard beyond the line of scrimmage that “significantly hinders” a player’s ability to catch the ball — differs from the “clear and obvious” standard.

In the Superdome on Sunday, the very stadium where momentum for the new rule originated, the league enforced it against the Saints at a critical juncture, reversing a late non-call on an incomplete fourth-quarter pass and penalizing them for defensive pass interference.
The call gave the Carolina Panthers a new set of downs from the Saints’ 3-yard line. New Orleans won, 34-31, and afterward Payton — who also unsuccessfully challenged an offensive pass-interference call on tight end Jared Cook — expressed his frustration with the video review center in Manhattan, saying that “quite honestly, it wasn’t New York’s best game.”
“Sitting in on every one of those meetings, I don’t know that it’s exactly what we discussed where we are today with it,” Payton said. “In fact, I’m pretty sure it’s not. But we’ve got to be able to adjust to it.”
Denver Broncos Coach Vic Fangio recently detailed a conversation he had with another perturbed head coach, who, he said, thought offensive pass interference should have nullified a touchdown against his team. But, Fangio said, that coach didn’t challenge the absence of a penalty because he believed the officials would see the infraction when they automatically reviewed the touchdown, as required for every scoring play.
“He called the officiating department and asked, ‘Why didn’t you overturn it?’” Fangio told reporters last week at Broncos headquarters. “They said that they’ve been told not to overturn those. It’s going to have to be a five-car pileup, I guess, for them to overturn something.”
Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin has lost all three of his pass-interference challenges this season, including two in Week 9 against Indianapolis. In Pittsburgh last week, Tomlin, who was against expanding video review to include pass interference, said the standard seemed to shift without notice at some point in early September.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Competition committee admits new PI rule was 'not great' in 2019

The NFL's competition committee isn't thrilled with the results of the experimental rule to make pass interference reviewable.

During the 2019 season, calls were largely left up to the officiating office in New York to handle, resulting in just 24 of 101 reviews being reversed.

Implemented to bring clarity, the new rule instead further frustrated coaches and fans alike.

"Overall, the results were not great," committee member and Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy said Monday, according to ESPN's Kevin Seifert. "And I think it really is putting the New York office in a very difficult position ... But it's still pretty early, we're looking at different options."

The committee has yet to decide on whether to continue on with the rule or to squash it after one season.

"You have to decide from a cost-benefit analysis standpoint: Is this worth it? Are we getting enough bang for our buck as far as the game goes?" committee chairman and Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay said. "And that's one that the clubs have to answer."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

The crummy pass-interference rule seems doomed. But I’ve got an idea how to save an important part of it.

Where things stand now: The weekend before the start of the combine is usually the weekend we start hearing about new rules and tweaks from the league office and the eight-man competition committee. In Indianapolis on Sunday, the committee began meetings with one rule hanging over the league: the 2019 rule that turned into a weekly conflagration around the league—offensive and defensive pass interference calls and non-calls being reviewable.

After conversations with coaches, others close to the process, and one person close to officiating over the past month, I can’t see the rule surviving in its current form, and maybe not at all. What happened last year, clearly, was there was a different standard to overturn calls either made or not made on the field that passed 31-1 by club owners at the March NFL meetings. In short, there had to be assault and battery on a receiver three or four seconds before the ball arrived for no-flag to be turned into a flag. (I jest, but not by much.) The rule became a sideshow, a joke, surely because the NFL wanted to discourage coaches from throwing challenge flags and making the games challenge-flag-filled. But the result of it was that the league looked foolish for passing a rule it didn’t enforce.

The rule was passed in 2019 on a one-year trial basis. I just don’t see 24 owners (and their football people) agreeing to pass such a haphazardly enforced rule again in 2020. No one in the league in any position of authority is saying it’s doomed in the current form. It’s just a feeling I get that passage now is unlikely. We’ll see. Competition committee chairman Rich McKay told the Washington Post’s Mark Maske in Indianapolis on Sunday, “I think we all saw the frustration that we all had during the year. And I do think it began to get better. But I want to see it all and the total picture and not deal from emotion.” Hardly an optimistic forecast.

So this is my idea: Let’s say owners get to the league meeting in Florida in late March, and the league sees no way to get a three-quarters vote for the rule as is. (Likely.) The impetus for this rule was to provide a fail-safe for plays like the one in the NFC Championship Game 13 months ago. With 1:49 left in the fourth quarter of a 20-20 game, New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees threw to wideout Tommylee Lewis inside the Rams’ 10-yard line, and defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman slammed into Lewis clearly before the ball arrived. No flag. The non-interference call forced the Saints to kick a field goal. The Rams tied it with a field goal to force overtime, and the Rams won in overtime.

Let’s leave the fail-safe in place. Create a rule in, say, the last three minutes of a game to prevent a catastrophic play like the one in the title game. Allow the New York officiating command center to ride herd on the last three minutes of every game, and allow them to call for a review of calls either made on the field that look shaky, or calls not made that look like they should have been flagged.

The amount of time is malleable. If it’s four minutes, okay. If it’s two, okay. (I’d probably rather have three, four or five, because games can be determined on a big call with four or so minutes to go.)

I wish the rule could have worked. But I see the league’s reticence to see the game slowed with challenge flags. Given that the league (and probably a majority owners) doesn’t want the rule in its current state, there’s still a way for an amended rule to save games from ending with a terrible call or non-call affecting the outcome in the waning seconds. The league should strongly consider it.

Ram65

Legend
Let’s leave the fail-safe in place. Create a rule in, say, the last three minutes of a game to prevent a catastrophic play like the one in the title game. Allow the New York officiating command center to ride herd on the last three minutes of every game, and allow them to call for a review of calls either made on the field that look shaky, or calls not made that look like they should have been flagged.
The amount of time is malleable. If it’s four minutes, okay. If it’s two, okay. (I’d probably rather have three, four or five, because games can be determined on a big call with four or so minutes to go.)

I was ready to write why three minutes? Then King offers options form 2 to 5 minutes. Why not the entire game? Bad calls can and have happened from the begging to the end of games. So if they miss a call at 4:01 time remaining it won't be overturned. Just live with the calls on the field.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Why not just make pass interference challengable? Not being able to review a play to find a penalty that wasn't called, but to challenge if an actual call is made. That's a big penalty.