Tom Brady reportedly hasn't committed to playing in 2018, Patriots 'carrying on' without him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ing-in-2018-patriots-carrying-on-without-him/

Tom Brady reportedly hasn't committed to playing in 2018, Patriots 'carrying on' without him

There are some things that are best left unsaid, but apparently "I'm back" is not one of them for Tom Brady, who has not verbally committed to playing football in 2018 yet, according to a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN.

It feels a little silly, eight days out from the NFL Draft and four months out from the season, to get lathered up about whether Brady will play for the Patriots in 2018. But he is going to turn 41 years old, he did end the 2017 on a sour note and he did end his documentary in a fashion that might lead people to believe he won't play forever.

Brady was the MVP of the 2017 NFL season, at 40 the oldest MVP in league history. There's a sense the whole thing might have taken a lot out of him.

And there are the reported tensions with Bill Belichick that surfaced during last season and lingered until, well, now. Brady's best target, tight end Rob Gronkowski, is also reportedly frustrated with Belichick and some jokes the coach made before the 2017 season about Gronk using Brady's diet.

However, it is still widely believed that Brady will be playing in 2018 and that he will eventually show up for the Patriots' offseason workouts. He's currently away from the offseason program, something he has also done in 2008, '09 and '10.

One source close to Brady told Schefter his "money would be on Brady playing football for the foreseeable future" but admitted that it's hard to predict anything based on stuff that happens off the field. (Read: Good luck guessing what happens in conversations within the walls of Brady's own home.)

And another source told Schefter that "I believe he's going to be there" but that "things can change."

Remember too: Brady has actually said he's going to be playing next year, having said in a pre-Super Bowl interview that "you're going to see me playing football next year."

It's not hard to harken back to what Brady said at the end of "Tom vs. Time" -- "What are we doing this for? Who are we doing this for? Why are we doing this?"

His answer has always been to secure more Super Bowl titles, and it's impossible to believe he's willing to walk away after losing a title in another close Super Bowl. But anything is possible once that gateway of 40 years old is broken.

For the Patriots, it's apparently next man up, with Schefter reporting that, "New England is carrying on without him" and that their approach to the position would "not radically change."

That seems insane, right? Except it makes sense -- the Patriots are going to draft a quarterback this year. It's a given. The question is when they decide to pull the trigger. And if they had to trot out Brian Hoyer in 2018, well, so be it. They've won with Matt Cassel and they won when Brady was suspended for the first four games of the 2016 season.

Brady walking away after the draft would be something else, though. A decision to retire this offseason could have better been made before the Patriots giving Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers in a trade. It might make things a little bit bitter, which is sometimes how the NFL goes.

At the end of the day, bank on Brady playing. But just know he hasn't confirmed anything yet, which is a fun little limbo for Patriots fans to live in this offseason.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not going to read that whole article because it's about Brady and Belichick.

But is he participating in OTAs?
That should give you a clue. :D

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I seem to remember the same article coming out last year about Brady's possible retirement

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
IT would be so funny if he retires after the same season they traded away his heir-apparent

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch the Pats trade their 2 #1’s to move up in the draft and nab a qb

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would give half of one of my pinkies.

Half my quote unquote "fortune" and a year off my life for those two dipshits to just go away.

Please for the love of God make it stop!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
No, no, NO!!

Brady's career MUST be ended with a gruesome gang sack by the rams defensive line. I'm talking about a sack that makes theismans look like a sprain. A sack where Bradys walking around in a daze like the guy in saving private Ryan who was holding his dismembered arm with his other arm--except toms dismembered arm is still holding the football (gotta give props for that). A sack that makes you throw your hands over your children's eyes and send the dog out of the room. Lets see just how pliable he really is.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I need him to quit the NFL because I want to see how fast he's going to get dumped by Gisele.

I'm betting she doesn't last a year after the limelight dims.

That is what probably keeps Brady going into his forties, he knows he's toast soon as soon as he retires.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I need him to quit the NFL because I want to see how fast he's going to get dumped by Gisele.

I'm betting she doesn't last a year after the limelight dims.

That is what probably keeps Brady going into his forties, he knows he's toast soon as soon as he retires.

I don't think so. It seems that she is a big part of the reason for Tom to be leading the revolt against Bill. In the past some less important players had their issues with the coach, but this time it's the big gun. Bill Belichick is a sour faced critic that always focuses on the negative. Being around that kind of negativity rubs off and is contagious.. Giselle was tired of Tom being more and more like Bill so she started Tom on programs focused on being positive and how it can improve your life. Since, Tom has become more aware of Bill's negativity and is rejecting it. Think is following suit.

So a woman is gearing down an empire. It won't be the first time.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Hmmm would you if you were the Browns would you trade your #4 for the Pats 2 1's this year, 2nd, 3rd, and a 1st next year? Might be tempting. I can't remember if this is right but I think I read somewhere Belicheat has a relationship with the GM for the Browns.