Todd Hewitt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Early in this century, I had about three telephone conversations with the now former RAMS Equipment manager, Todd Hewitt.
One resulted in him providing me with a personally customized RAMS helmet with the horns cut in two as you'd see the players wearing in games as opposed to what would be available for purchase at retail.
But, we also (for reasons that I don't recall now) talked about Lawrence McCutcheon's jersey number with me
informing him that 'Larry' wore #31 at the beginning of his RAMS career (I remembered seeing the roster in Street & Smith's 1972 Pro Football Annual). Todd told me that when he mentioned this to Clutch, whom was still employed by the team at that time, that his response was something like, "I wore 31?!?". I wondered if he ever actually wore #31 or if the #31 Street and Smith's indicated may have been premature or in error.
Well, lo and behold, as I was scrolling Google images this morning, looking for images of Dick Gordon in a RAMS uniform (#5),
1972 LA RAMS.jpg

I came across the attached image of a RAMS team picture from 1972. The rookie out of Colorado State (RAMS) is pictured to the extreme
lower right of the photograph.
DickGordon.png

Trivia question: Which two future RAMS Head Coaches are in the photo?

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Fond Memories ... but that was a bad team.
Rams fandom began in 1969, and from that season through 1980 (twelve years), the Rams had a winning record and were playoff contenders for all but one year. In 1972, they lost their final two games to finish 6-7-1; and, as I remember, they were still in the playoff hunt until the final game.

I actually got the trivia answer but I was lucky because I recognize one of the answers from the picture, and would not have known otherwise. Will post it later (in case any other old-timers want to take-a-shot) if no one else does so.

Couple side notes
... because they were aligned by jersey number, LT Charlie Cowan (#73) is between Merlin and Phil Olsen
... Les Josephson is not in the picture
... look how small Joe Scibelli (#71) looks ... 15-year starting guard

Last edited:

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams fandom began in 1969, and from that season through 1980 (twelve years), the Rams had a winning record and were playoff contenders for all but one year. In 1972, they lost their final two games to finish 6-7-1; and, as I remember, they were still in the playoff hunt until the final game.

I actually got the trivia answer but I was lucky because I recognize one of the answers from the picture, and would not have known otherwise. Will post it later (in case any other old-timers want to take-a-shot) if no one else does so.

Couple side notes
... because they were aligned by jersey number, LT Charlie Cowan (#73) is between Merlin and Phil Olsen
Lost 5 of their last six with the only W being their FIRST EVER win on ABC MNF at frisco in the 12th game of the season to give them yet another SEASON SWEEP of frisco. Gabe's elbow troubles had a lot to do with their struggles but I've wondered if they didn't tank to get Prothro axed, knowing he wasn't the new ownership's hire.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall

Couple side notes
Any clue as to whom #62 is?

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
That's so cool. Player #s and trivia have always been interesting to me. Like OJ Simpson actually wore #36 in his rookie year of 1969. James Harris was #11 for the Rams in 1973.

The 2 coaches... well we know Vermeil was one of them from this squad but I don't see him in the photo. I do see Rich Brooks. In 1972 Vermeil was the quarterbacks coach.

edit: there he is behind Saul!

Last edited:

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
That's so cool. Player #s and trivia have always been interesting to me. Like OJ Simpson actually wore #36 in his rookie year of 1969. James Harris was #11 for the Rams in 1973.

The 2 coaches... well we know Vermeil was one of them from this squad but I don't see him in the photo. I do see Rich Brooks. In 1972 Vermeil was the quarterbacks coach.
I'm pretty sure that's Vermeil two places to the right of #75 John Williams (literally, Williams's right, haha).

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Any clue as to whom #62 is?
I had to dig into my media guide collection for that one since he's not on pro football reference, the best site for player rosters and numbers.

Bobby Childs was an OL from Kansas with #62

interesting that on a few team photos there is a player in there who didn't make the team. Phil Wagenheim #8 punter on the 1976 team photo I'm looking at you.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
I had to dig into my media guide collection for that one since he's not on pro football reference, the best side for player rosters and numbers.

interesting that on a few team photos there is a player in there who didn't make the team. Phil Wagenheim #8 punter on the 1976 team photo I'm looking at you.
Yeah, I looked at Pro Football Reference after i asked the question and seeing his name as a draftee that year, thought it MIGHT be him.
They drafted Bob Christiansen out of UCLA and he played for the Bills that season, wearing #83 and playing DT but I thought he was a TE with UCLA.
Aaand, looking at Sports Reference dot com, I can confirm that he was a TE/WR with the Bruins. From WR to DT? Wow.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall

Couple side notes
I'm thinking Lester was chopped off this rendering of the team picture as I see Prothro is partially captured and Don Klostermann is absent.
This picture is from

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm thinking Lester was chopped off this rendering of the team picture as I see Prothro is partially captured and Don Klostermann is absent.
This picture is from

Probably correct. Willie Ellison (#33) was on the '72 Team but is not in the picture. He and Josephson (#34) were probably next to McCutcheon but cut-off in the photo.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
This picture is from

Fixed. Klosterman, Josie, Willie and Todd's father are all there!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Lost 5 of their last six with the only W being their FIRST EVER win on ABC MNF at frisco in the 12th game of the season to give them yet another SEASON SWEEP of frisco. Gabe's elbow troubles had a lot to do with their struggles but I've wondered if they didn't tank to get Prothro axed, knowing he wasn't the new ownership's hire.

I don't think they were tanking. Just an under-achieving mess.

Read an article few years ago where Fred Dryer discussed the 1972 team. That was his 1st year with the Rams. Dryer, Youngblood and Bacon split the DE snaps, with Bacon also playing some DT. In the article, Dryer discussed his frustrations late in the season, following a bad loss. It was either Rosenbloom or Klosterman that tried to assure Dryer that there would be major changes for 1973, and the expectations were high.

Back then, it was tough for an NFL team to make major changes, and turn things around quickly. Successful drafting and coaching were the keys. The Rams did make significant changes and were really good, really fast.

Knox came in with a new coaching staff. Young reserves replaced veterans and became full-time starters ... McCutcheon for Ellison ... Reynolds for McKeever ... Geddes for Purnell ... Brooks for Phil Olsen ... Williams for Schuh. Hadl, Jackson, Stukes, Baker, Preece came in trades. New uniforms, and a ton of regular season wins.

Unfortunately, the 1970s Rams were similar to the current Bills, Ravens and 49ers. They should have gone to more Super Bowls, and won a couple.

One of the reasons I enjoy the misery of current Niners' fans, is that I understand it. Hell, I lived it in my teens.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
I don't think they were tanking. Just an under-achieving mess.

Read an article few years ago where Fred Dryer discussed the 1972 team. That was his 1st year with the Rams. Dryer, Youngblood and Bacon split the DE snaps, with Bacon also playing some DT. In the article, Dryer discussed his frustrations late in the season, following a badloss. It was either Rosenbloom or Klosterman that tried to assure Dryer that there would be major changes for 1973, and the expectations were high.

Back then , it was tough for an NFL team to make major changes, and turn things around quickly. Successful drafting was the key. The Rams did make significant changes and were really good, really fast

Knox came in with a new coaching staff. Young reserves replaced veterans and became full-time starters ... McCutcheon for Ellison ... Reynolds for McKeever ... Geddes for Purnell ... Brooks for Phil Olsen ... Williams for Schuh. Hadl, Jackson, Stukes, Baker, Preece came in trades. New uniforms, and a ton of regular season wins.

Unfortunately, the 1970s Rams were similar to the current Bills, Ravens and 49ers. They should have gone to more Super Bowls, and won a couple.

One of the reasons I enjoy the misery of current Niners' fans, is that I understand it. Hell, I lived it in my teen years.
Those seventies teams were almost perennial pre-season favorites to win the Super Bowl but, as we know, one of the least vaunted squads was the only one that broke thru to even play in the game. And I'm familiar with the article about Dryer as I posted it here.
It's from the same site as the picture at the beginning of this thread. Coy Bacon really threw a wrench into the team's plans just when they were about to kick off the season. Reading about him, while he was clearly a dominant force on the D line for multiple teams, he was a persistent pain-in-the-ass for coaching staffs.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Awesome. I'll bet he's got some epic stories to share over a cold one. :clinkingbeer:

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
I had to dig into my media guide collection for that one since he's not on pro football reference, the best site for player rosters and numbers.

#62 was Wilie Parker.

Rams 72 Home Team.jpg

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Good catch.

Dang, and I have that exact team photo from ebay stashed away and forgot about him and McCutcheon wearing #31.
La-La-La-Losing it. :drool:

But what I really need to know is ... who is "Bow Wow" security?
Yeah, I was looking for a German Shepherd in the photo but I guess that's just the 'name' the security chief goes by?

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Good catch.

Dang, and I have that exact team photo from ebay stashed away and forgot about him and McCutcheon wearing #31.
La-La-La-Losing it. :drool:

But what I really need to know is ... who is "Bow Wow" security?
And Parker played with the Bills for a few years. Pro Football Reference IS a great resource.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
And Parker played with the Bills for a few years. Pro Football Reference IS a great resource.
Yeah I've enjoyed it for several years. Along with all the right jersey #s I like that it has GS - games started, and what side of the line they played on. For preseason games Pro Football database is the best since it has scores from years back but no site has game stats before 2004. Eh... a stat nerd's dilemma.