Todd Gurley trade for David Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
So my son is a Cardinals fan (it started when Kurt Warner played there) and today I asked him if he would trade straight across Todd Gurley for David Johnson. He thought about it for a bit and said no. He thinks David Johnson is better than Gurley in the system that Arizona runs, namely, a lot of screen passes to the RBs.

Now my son, 19 years old is normally pretty darn intelligent (except regarding this hypothetical trade). I told him he's crazy, that Gurley is a LOT better than Johnson. Still, he said he wouldn't do that trade if it was his decision.

So, I'm asking all of you, what "stats" or "common sense" reasoning would you tell my son to help him understand the obvious, that Gurley is insanely talented and it would be a steal if AZ had the opportunity to trade Johnson for Gurley straight across? What words would you use to make him understand the error of his ways, haha!

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So my son is a Cardinals fan (it started when Kurt Warner played there) and today I asked him if he would trade straight across Todd Gurley for David Johnson. He thought about it for a bit and said no. He thinks David Johnson is better than Gurley in the system that Arizona runs, namely, a lot of screen passes to the RBs.

Now my son, 19 years old is normally pretty darn intelligent (except regarding this hypothetical trade). I told him he's crazy, that Gurley is a LOT better than Johnson. Still, he said he wouldn't do that trade if it was his decision.

So, I'm asking all of you, what "stats" or "common sense" reasoning would you tell my son to help him understand the obvious, that Gurley is insanely talented and it would be a steal if AZ had the opportunity to trade Johnson for Gurley straight across? What words would you use to make him understand the error of his ways, haha!

Hmmm...that's crazy talk.

Just tell your son to watch Gurley play. He was the rams offense last year, cards are stacked on offense. Also, when Adrian Peterson endorses him as a good running back, chances are he's probably good.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
From the limited sample size, I am not sure I disagree. Johnson had a hell of a second half of the year. Dude is legit and definitely worthy of this discussion as of today. I suspect both will be good players in this league for a while. If Boras can get TG spun up more in the passing game, look out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@BriansRams as your son how fast David Johnson is...Johnson very good at catching the football, but Gurley is just as good and much faster!

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He just said "Who recorded the fasted time as running back last season in "next gen stats?" So evidently he thinks DJ is pretty fast.

I simply told him, "Just watch what happens this season with Gurley. You'll soon understand the difference between the two."

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the best way to think of it, about how good Gurley is. He had a collection of back up QB's throwing for few yards. teams knew that Gurley was the main option and keyed on him. We had a mostly rookie/first time starters on the Oline, some of which were injured and replaced by more inexperienced players (except for Reynolds). Even so, Gurley earned more than a thousands yards in a number of games that was the same in the early 70's, when a 1000 yard rusher really meant something.

David Johnson, like Rawls in Seattle, had really good years due in large part to balance in the offense. Russell Wilson and Carson Palmer are experienced franchise QB's, and Palmer especially had great WR weapons so opposing defenses couldn't constantly stack the "box".....Johnson would not look so good in the Rams defense, and I am pretty sure he would not have gotten a 1000 yards in 12 games, coming back from a ACL injury, with Foles and Keenum at QB.

*drops the mike.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He just said "Who recorded the fasted time as running back last season in "next gen stats?" So evidently he thinks DJ is pretty fast.

I simply told him, "Just watch what happens this season with Gurley. You'll soon understand the difference between the two."

Johnson runs a 4.5, Gurley a 4.4 makes a big difference with break away speed...Gurley also much quicker to the hole, that is Johnson's weakness.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe it was the way you presented it. I would not trade Todd Gurley for David Johnson either :))

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
It's not even close, Gurley is better. Watch the tape of the 2 and look at the stats. Gurleys a real HB, Johnson was gimmicky.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
All purpose yards would give him a chance. 60 yards a game on KR

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Johnson runs a 4.5, Gurley a 4.4 makes a big difference with break away speed...Gurley also much quicker to the hole, that is Johnson's weakness.

Gurley actually ran mid 4.3s in high school. His old teammate, Keith Marshall, said that if Todd had run at the Combine he would've had a sub-4.4 time. Keith knows a thing or two about speed too. Gurley also raced Chris Conley at practice several times and Todd won all but one race. Conley ran a 4.35 at the Combine. Gurley has some serious speed and he should get more of it back this year.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
This is like when you get dumped by your gf...and you try to convince yourself she was never hot to begin with. But deep down you know she was.

If Gurley was with the Cards, your son would be hyping him as the next AP. But since that's not the case...he has to convince himself David Johnson is better, when in reality he's not in the sale universe as Gurley.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My 2 cents because i see alot of both guys.

I think the speed is pretty much a wash at this point, unless Gurley gets faster a year removed from the ACL.
I like David Johnson alot. Liked him coming out of the draft too (it's in here somewhere).
IMO his only areas of concern(if he was my RB) would be possible ball security and physicality as a pure runner. They're obviously playing in two different offenses that are light years apart and DJ has better talent around him.

DJ had approx 170 all purpose touches last season and fumbled 4 times. Gurley touched it approx 250 times and fumbled 3 times. It's early still for both backs, so it's still too soon to judge for ball security issues.

DJ's best statistical game was @ Philly in week 15.
29 for 187 yds 3 TD's
4 catches for 42 yards
no kick returns
The Eagles were awful defensively last year(30th in the league) but DJ has nice moves in traffic and is great in open space for a big back, but at 6'1" 225 he should be better in between the tackles and forcing his will physically IMO. Reminds me a little bit of Steven Jackson that way.

Right now Gurley is superior to DJ as a runner who doesn't have to slow down or lose some momentum when making moves inside or in the open field. That's the biggest difference for me right now between the two. Gurley is as electric as he is strong. Both are patient runners and as we know DJ has shown he's a very capable receiver and returner. Gurley hasn't been asked to do those things. DJ has a bright future.

Oh and i almost forgot....Gurley's best game...:snicker: against i think it was some team ranked 5th defensively.
By all accounts his first NFL start.
19 for 146 with a late kneel down instead of a late TD
7.7 per rush
2 catches for 15 yds

My ONLY concern with Gurley is staying healthy so he can shatter records for the Rams.

It'll be fun to watch these two battle over the next several years. .

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Chris Wesselling on nfl.com (whose opinion I respect) absolutely loves David Johnson.

Having said that, Gurley is ours and I wouldn't have it any other way. You have to imagine he's going to be even better this coming year.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Johnson is a good player but Todd is a lot more explosive and he hits full speed a lot faster. Gurley is a home run threat on every touch and I don't think the same about Johnson. Not to mention Johnson played in one of the best passing offenses in the league and that took a lot of pressure off of him, Todd Gurley went against 8 man fronts every game because no one respected the QB