Todd Gurley and the run game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
So whats up with our run game? Is it Gurley? Is it the O-line? Is it scheme?

It's a little bit of all 3. I went back and watched a lot Gurley's runs throughout the season and in this post I want to focus on some of Gurley's missed opportunities for big plays. I made a short video of some plays where Gurley could have broken a possible long run if he hits the hole.

View: https://youtu.be/-XH_fZjzctU

Watching Gurley run this year he seems indecisive or sometimes he doesn't wait for his blocks to develop and hits the hole too fast, usually ending up plowing through the backs of his O-line. His vision has not been as good this year compared to last. His burst is lacking some and I begin to wonder if he's playing hurt. If Gurley is to become a top RB he needs to hit on some of these opportunities. The greats make plays and while Todd has made some they have been few and far between this season.

Now, the poor run game isn't all his fault. There have been times when he could have broken a big run if a blocker could have sustained his block. The O-line needs to do a better job of sticking to their assignment and finishing plays (I'm looking at you Saffold and Kendricks.) Todd had his best game against Detroit, a game in where Jamon Brown started for the injured Cody Whichmann. Brown is the better run blocker and its a shame he broke his hand in practice.

I hope the second half of the season is a better one for our rushing attack. We can't be letting Keenum (or Goff when he plays) air it out for 40+ per game.

One last thing I want to say is that this is the first video I have ever made. The time and effort it took to edit and make a video gave me a new found appreciation to anyone who has done it.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the video. But even from looking at the video it really proves the run blocking has been lacking. Gurley hit all the holes that the arrow was pointing to and they closed a quick second after the arrow appeared so imagine how fast they are closing at game speed. The last play on the video where you had the arrow for the hole he was headed that way until Britt got pushed all the way over and essentially closed that hole up. And 1 of the runs the defender had inside leverage thats why he broke the play to the outside trying to rub off his blocker. Thats what you want your running back to do in that situation because you expect your tackle to hold the block. This video really proved to me that Gurley Vision and patience is there because he did everything and hit every hole that was shown.

ThePhunami

Me so Horny
To me it looks like he's rushing "no pun intended". He's not allowing blocks to develop. On a side note. We don't know what routes the plays are set to run. Yes we may see a hole on tape but when coach tells you to run a route, you run it. You do not deviate. That is a quick way to get bench. Run the plays they way they were designed. He talked about being more patient during his carries during his presser today so we will see. I'm hoping he makes up some great plays but history this season isn't having me hold my breath. BTW Great analysis and video. Keep it up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
All running backs miss holes and that video showed some potential cuts Gurley could have made.

Gurley needs a little more help with those blocks, but he also looks to be pressing at this point. Get a 2016 breakout game under his belt and he'll be fine.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...ll-stuck-in-frustrating-cycle-of-rams-offense

Todd Gurley still stuck in frustrating cycle of Rams’ offense

THOUSAND OAKS >> This Rams season has truly been a test of Todd Gurley’s patience.

Patience, first of all, with the questions. Week after week, reporters pester the running back with similar queries: Why aren’t you as successful as you were last year? Are you getting frustrated? Is this finally the breakout week?

This cycle will continue until Gurley again maximizes his superstar talents, but when exactly that happens remains maddeningly unclear after eight games. To be sure, much of the fault does not lie with the reigning NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year — as both his coaches and teammates have said, week after week. But with a top-five rushing defense looming this Sunday against the New York Jets (10 a.m., FOX), it’s difficult to imagine that the Rams have the answers to finally help him find his rhythm.

Not only did Gurley get a season-low 12 carries last Sunday, but the team gave him consecutive carries just once in their 13-10 loss to the Panthers — on the second and third plays of the game.

“You’ve just got to get your mind right,” Gurley said. “You never know what the play call is. Sometimes, like I said, I’ve had times in college where I got the ball five times in a row, and you know you’re going to get it again.

“But, you just got to man up and do your best.”

The former Georgia star must exercise his patience in other ways as well. While the Rams’ offensive line has done him no favors — it is rated as the league’s worst run-blocking unit by Pro Football Focus — the former No. 10 overall pick has also missed some of the rare openings. It was a reality that he hinted at Friday when asked about the need to exercise patience as a running back.

“If the play is not designed to hit outside,” he said, “then don’t make up in your mind, ‘Oh, I know it’s not going to be up inside, so I’ll just go outside.’ Just making sure you’re on the same track as everybody else, because once you start to predetermine stuff, that’s when you know you’re not on the same page as your linemen, you try to bounce it outside, you get holding calls. You just want to stay consistent.”

ROAD TRIPPIN’

The quirks of NFL scheduling have made road warriors out of the Rams, forcing them to play five of their first eight games away from the Coliseum. The next month offers little respite: Three of their next four take place on the other side of the Mississippi.

At least the rigors of travel are easier than they used to be — particularly when it comes to pregame prep and in-flight nutrition.

“In the old days, it was a hamburger and fries and who knows what was going to go on,” said Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. “It’s a lot better now. It really is.”

Williams credited head coach Jeff Fisher, athletic trainer Reggie Scott and head chef Anthony Zamora for optimizing the process for long trips. That process involves everything from tweaking practice reps throughout the week — the Rams started practicing earlier on Friday to adjust to their 10 a.m. kickoff on Sunday — to how the training staff fuels its players.

“It’s all about hydration, especially these long trips,” Zamora said. “Because up in the air, at high elevation, you lose more water. So I’m handing out hydration electrolyte packets before we take off. Really just trying to make sure guys are loaded up.

“Some of them, they’ll get nervous and can’t eat in the mornings. Making sure they’ve got enough carbs, water to prevent cramping and that sort of thing. It’s really just making guys eat. You can imagine it’s a lot of nerves, anticipation of Sunday.”

INJURY REPORT

Bothered by a thigh injury, Gurley nonetheless practiced in full on Friday and is listed as questionable for Sunday. The same went for defensive tackle Michael Brockers (groin), cornerback Trumaine Johnson (ankle) and defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (back).

All four starters seem likely to play against the Jets, whose injury report has reached absurd lengths. In addition to left tackle Ryan Clady, who was placed on injured reserve this week, New York has ruled out linebacker Bruce Carter (quad), defensive back Marcus Williams (ankle), linebacker Josh Martin (concussion), tight end Kellen Davis (elbow) and offensive lineman Nick Mangold (ankle).

BREAKING GROUND

Next Thursday, the Rams will hold the ground-breaking ceremony for their new Inglewood stadium, the $2.6 billion venue that will host their home games starting in 2019.

The 70,000-seat stadium could also welcome a second NFL team, and the San Diego Chargers have an option to move north that won’t expire until Jan. 15, 2017. The Hollywood Park complex also factors into Los Angeles’ bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The offensive line has regressed that is for sure unless Garrett Reynolds was just amazing because the only difference in personnel is Saffold playing at LG over Reynolds. IMO, Havenstein has not played as well, not that he's been that bad, but last season Havenstein was stellar in both pass protection and providing holes in the running game.

RG Cody Wichmann has struggled to get a push upfront as well and IMO Jamon Brown is a better run blocker, however, Brown has struggled to stay healthy this year and OL Coach Paul Boudreau if (Gulp) Fisher does stay on will be one of the Assistant Coaches relieved of his duties IMHO.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the video. But even from looking at the video it really proves the run blocking has been lacking. Gurley hit all the holes that the arrow was pointing to and they closed a quick second after the arrow appeared so imagine how fast they are closing at game speed. The last play on the video where you had the arrow for the hole he was headed that way until Britt got pushed all the way over and essentially closed that hole up. And 1 of the runs the defender had inside leverage thats why he broke the play to the outside trying to rub off his blocker. Thats what you want your running back to do in that situation because you expect your tackle to hold the block. This video really proved to me that Gurley Vision and patience is there because he did everything and hit every hole that was shown.

The o-line has been very poor this year but in that video, from what I see anyway, is Gurleys indecisive to hit the hole that is created. It tells me that his vision is lacking because by the time he realizes the hole is there it's too late and he gets bottled up. It seems you don't want to put any blame on Gurley which is fine but if he really is a superstar then he has to make things happen even though the O-line is playing like crap.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
So whats up with our run game? Is it Gurley? Is it the O-line? Is it scheme?

It's a little bit of all 3. I went back and watched a lot Gurley's runs throughout the season and in this post I want to focus on some of Gurley's missed opportunities for big plays. I made a short video of some plays where Gurley could have broken a possible long run if he hits the hole.

View: https://youtu.be/-XH_fZjzctU

Watching Gurley run this year he seems indecisive or sometimes he doesn't wait for his blocks to develop and hits the hole too fast, usually ending up plowing through the backs of his O-line. His vision has not been as good this year compared to last. His burst is lacking some and I begin to wonder if he's playing hurt. If Gurley is to become a top RB he needs to hit on some of these opportunities. The greats make plays and while Todd has made some they have been few and far between this season.

Now, the poor run game isn't all his fault. There have been times when he could have broken a big run if a blocker could have sustained his block. The O-line needs to do a better job of sticking to their assignment and finishing plays (I'm looking at you Saffold and Kendricks.) Todd had his best game against Detroit, a game in where Jamon Brown started for the injured Cody Whichmann. Brown is the better run blocker and its a shame he broke his hand in practice.

I hope the second half of the season is a better one for our rushing attack. We can't be letting Keenum (or Goff when he plays) air it out for 40+ per game.

One last thing I want to say is that this is the first video I have ever made. The time and effort it took to edit and make a video gave me a new found appreciation to anyone who has done it.

Good video, really shows some big plays we have missed in the running game this year. I don't think he trust the line to open a hole and he is trying to make one himself, which usually doesn't work against a 8 man front. I still think the whole issue is Keenum and until we get teams to back off the run , Todd will continue to struggle. I would also run screens for Gurley, I don't think I have seen them run 1 this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All running backs miss holes and that video showed some potential cuts Gurley could have made.

Gurley needs a little more help with those blocks, but he also looks to be pressing at this point. Get a 2016 breakout game under his belt and he'll be fine.
This video may be just a little more evidence the Rams should try a two back set once in a while. To slow down the opponents "D", keep them guessing, and to supply some lead blocking! Just a thought!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
BREAKING GROUND

Next Thursday, the Rams will hold the ground-breaking ceremony for their new Inglewood stadium, the $2.6 billion venue that will host their home games starting in 2019.
This reminded me. Question!? Jim Thomas like to refer to the Rams as the former, Cleveland Rams - L.A. Rams - Anaheim Rams - St. Louis Rams - L.A. Rams. After the New Stadium opens, Will JT insist on calling the Rams, "The Inglewood Rams!?!:D:rolllaugh: