To trade or not to trade; The Steelers and Vikes face decisions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

To trade or not to trade?

• Trade Rothlisberger

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Trade Peterson

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Trade both

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Trade neither

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've combined two articles from NFL.com...

The Steelers, to me, are clearly poised for a rebuild. They are aging. Should they cash in Big Ben's value while there is something there?

The Vikings are coming off a surprising playoff berth, but need a franchise QB. If they grab one in the draft, it could be a 2-3 year thing for them. Peterson's ship will have sailed by then.

So; to trade or not to trade?

Roethlisberger:

For all of this week's speculation surrounding Ben Roethlisberger's future, the key question remains: Is there fire behind all of this smoke with the Pittsburgh Steelers?

After speaking with a Steelers source, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Friday's edition of NFL Network's "Around the League Live" that the organization will not consider an offseason Roethlisberger trade, "unless (they) find a replacement."

General managers around the league tell Rapoport that Roethlisberger probably would bring more than just a first-round pick in return if the Steelers opt to field offers while rebuilding their roster.

It's hard to imagine Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert pulling the trigger on a trade unless Roethlisberger's contract extension discussions turn ugly, and the Steelers scouting department falls in love with a quarterback that will be available when they draft in the first round.

NFL Media's Charley Casserly opined on "Around the League Live" that Colbert won't seriously consider a trade even under that unlikely scenario.

"This isn't even one you take seriously, or bring it up in a joke if you're the Pittsburgh Steelers," Casserly said. "This is your solution to the problem. You have problems around him that you have to solve. ... This guy is still one of the premier quarterbacks in the league. There's nothing wrong with his game. It's everybody else around him. ... But this isn't even a serious discussion. Believe me."

All of the Roethlisberger drama seems more about sending messages and positioning for offseason leverage and less about the warning signs of a fractured relationship.

We've seen Drew Bledsoe, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer and Jay Cutler traded in extenuating circumstances, but no franchise over the past two decades has given up on a quarterback of Roethlisberger's caliber and track record in the prime of his career.

Peterson:

There is one thing Adrian Peterson is positive about: People love him.

Earlier this year, Peterson's teammates dismissed the ludicrous idea that the Minnesota Vikings would trade AD. The running back reiterated Thursday he wants to remain with the Vikings.

"I definitely wouldn't mind playing here," Peterson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "I feel like we have the right pieces, and we can continue to get some more pieces as well to help build this team and make us even stronger. ... So, no, (I don't want to go anywhere else)."

However, Peterson, who signed a $100 million contract extension in 2011, understood there is the possibility he could be moved in the offseason.

"I understand that," Peterson said. "I know this is a business and things like that happen. So if it happens, it happens. There's not much I can't handle. I'm sure someone will welcome me with open arms if they do decide to trade me. ... But it's a business, so if they trade me, then, hey."

Put the best running back in the NFL on the trading block while he's still in the prime of his career, acts as a team leader and takes the pressure off of your quarterback? It's safe to say such a trade wouldn't be met just by open arms around the NFL; there would be a weeklong celebratory party if teams were given the chance to pry Peterson from the Vikings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...peterson-wants-to-stay-with-minnesota-vikings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...thlisberger-steelers-facing-crucial-offseason

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Me; I'd probably try to trade both.

But for sure I'd trade Peterson. I realize guys like him, first ballot HOF'ers, should retire with their franchise, but there is a franchise-future to consider.

Not to mention, in Peterson's case, it would be win-win. Send him to a contender.

At least Ben's won a Superbowl.

I also find this quote interesting: "I definitely wouldn't mind playing here," [Peterson]

He appears open to the idea.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ben no,Petersen,if they can get a Hershal Walker deal in reverse,hail yeah,just where ya gonna find the chump?

WvuIN02

Starter
The Steelers for sure should trade Ben R.

There is a reason their cap is awful, because they back ended all these contracts to try to get one more SB run out of those vets, and the gamble didn't pay off. Now those guys are out to pasture, and by the time they get a competitive team again Ben will likely be too old. Also, he's not a cerebral QB like Manning and Brady where he can simply get better with age as his body declines. Bens game is to shrug off defenders and play sandlot Johnny Football with defenses. If a team poised for a run right now can afford to get him, there's a chance, but I don't see him being viable by the time the Steelers rebuild because their entire defense is going to be new next year almost.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't trade either. Least of all Ben.

They want to rebuild? Fine, do it right. Fix the rest of the team around Ben and then it's so long and thanks for all the fish.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
How do you trade one of the greatest if not the greatest RB of all time when he is still best RB in the NFL? He is loved by everyone in Minny. He causes no problems, is a great teammate and an icon for the organization. I would go so far as to say, Adrian Peterson IS the Vikings. You don't trade him away on the possibility that the draft picks you get for him may help you strengthen the rest of your team. Because if you miss on the picks, which is a distinct possibility, everyone gets fired, and that's after all the fans stop coming to the games.

Big Ben isn't even a consideration. You don't trade a franchise QB. End of story.

All this talk is for the media and fans who like to play GM and usually come up with spicy but ludicrous ideas.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
How do you trade one of the greatest if not the greatest RB of all time when he is still best RB in the NFL? He is loved by everyone in Minny. He causes no problems, is a great teammate and an icon for the organization. I would go so far as to say, Adrian Peterson IS the Vikings. You don't trade him away on the possibility that the draft picks you get for him may help you strengthen the rest of your team. Because if you miss on the picks, which is a distinct possibility, everyone gets fired, and that's after all the fans stop coming to the games.

Big Ben isn't even a consideration. You don't trade a franchise QB. End of story.

All this talk is for the media and fans who like to play GM and usually come up with spicy but ludicrous ideas.

I agree with all you say there max, but I don't see Frazier surviving up there, especially if Harvin lights it up in the playoffs , so new coach rebuild,if there IS a good time to trade a super star RB it's when his value is emotionally inflated .
I never thought someone would replicate the Walker trade then along came Ditka and the Rickey Williams trade,I thought people had learned from those two and then we get the RG deal, PT Barnum must have known somethin about NFL GM's and if the Vikes can get a sucker deal for a guy who JMO isn't going up but has plateaued , I think they have to listen.

Agamemnon

Rookie
print-logo.png

Find this article at: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...peterson-wants-to-stay-with-minnesota-vikings

Adrian Peterson wants to stay with Minnesota Vikings
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the League writer
  • Published: Nov. 15, 2013 at 09:01 a.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:11 a.m.

There is one thing Adrian Peterson is positive about: People love him.

Earlier this year, Peterson's teammates dismissed the ludicrous idea that the Minnesota Vikings would trade AD. The running back reiterated Thursday he wants to remain with the Vikings.

"I definitely wouldn't mind playing here," Peterson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "I feel like we have the right pieces, and we can continue to get some more pieces as well to help build this team and make us even stronger. ... So, no, (I don't want to go anywhere else)."

However, Peterson, who signed a $100 million contract extension in 2011, understood there is the possibility he could be moved in the offseason.

"I understand that," Peterson said. "I know this is a business and things like that happen. So if it happens, it happens. There's not much I can't handle. I'm sure someone will welcome me with open arms if they do decide to trade me. ... But it's a business, so if they trade me, then, hey."

If the Vikings put the NFL's best running back on the trading block while he's still in the prime of his career, it's safe to say the decision would be met by more than open arms around the league; there would be a weeklong celebratory party if teams were given the chance to pry Peterson from the Vikings.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" previewed the AFC playoff picture.

My Rewards Rewards Store Achievements Leaderboards About NFL Fan Rewards

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Does Steven Jackson still wanna stay here?:nau:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The Vikings were 10-6 just last year. They are a good QB away from being a NFCN contender. I hate the idea of trading the best players away to a contender. How does a team ever get better if they have to trade away their best players? It's unfair IMO. ALmost like good players aren't allowed to be there.

This is the Steelers first bad year in a long ass time. Now all of a sudden Ben should get traded? Bullshit. You don't trade away QBs that are big reasons why the teams have won 2/3 Super Bowls in the past 8 years. That is NOT an easy thing to do. Ben isn't even a problem. They need to seriously revamp the defense up there. Why the hell does this sound familiar??