Throwback Thursday: Dieter Brock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Pretty awesome stuff as @jakebogen95 interviews one of our favorites none other than Ralph Dieter Brock so @dieterbrock & @Dieter the Brock need to listen to this. Brock goes into detail how John Robinson's offense was run oriented and from a passing standpoint Brock utilizes the word "Archaic." as to what the passing offense was like until they hired Ernie Zampese in 1987.

Jimmy Raye was the OC for Robinson in 83 & 84, however, they did not have one in 85 & 86 as Robinson took over for the most part with help from Tight End Coach Norv Turner and WR Coach Lew Erber. Brock also comments on that he wished he had more of an opportunity to throw the football, but chose the Rams because he felt they had a good chance to win, turned down other teams like Buffalo.

I always felt it was too bad the Rams did not land Warren Moon a year earlier, who would have been a far better fit for the Rams IMHO. Moon chose the Houston Oilers because the Oilers hired his CFL Head Coach Hugh Campbell as their Head Coach, only to fire him two years later after a 8=24 record always liked Moon and it came down to Houston & Los Angeles, but once the Oilers informed Moon he could bring his Head Coach with him that sealed him going to the Oilers, too bad for the Rams.

Brock also spoke about his injury in 86, said he had a bad back in 85 and then hurt his knee in 86 was put on IR for the first four games and then his back flared back up and was released, but he thought if he could have played in 86 the Rams could have challenged again for the Super Bowl. Again I was not a Brock fan, he played the two worst playoff games as against the Cowboys he was 6-22 for 50 yards and a pick, but the Rams got 248 yards and two TD's from Eric the Great and then against the Bears, Brock could not complete the easy slant pass to Ron Brown, which would have gone the distance, he missed several times.

Overall in this last podcast @jakebogen95 hits it out of the park because there was information I was not privy to especially how bad the passing offense was so you have to factor that in and Brock did complete 60% of his passes in that archaic passing scheme. Loved the interview and look forward to training camp information moving forward....Everyone needs to give this a listen.

FWIW's I have checked the Stats on QB's in that offense before 1987 when Zampese was brought in. In 1983 Vince Ferragmo completed 59.1% of his passes, in 1984 Jeff Kemp completed 50.4 percent, Brock was at 59.7 in 85 and in 1986 rookie Jim Everett was at 49.7%, Dills at 45.7% and Steve Bartkowski at 48.4% so Brock has valid points.

Last edited:

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I can't listen while I'm working, but I still find it amazing that Brock was the third leading passer by rating in the NFC in 1985. The Rams passing game was so bad that it felt like 3rd and 6 and shorter were running downs.

I guess it's as much of an indictment of how quirky passer rating is as a stat more than accurately reflecting the Rams 1985 passing offense.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Pretty awesome stuff as @jakebogen95 interviews one of our favorites none other than Ralph Dieter Brock so @dieterbrock & @Dieter the Brock need to listen to this. Brock goes into detail how John Robinson's offense was run oriented and from a passing standpoint Brock utilizes the word "Archaic." as to what the passing offense was like until they hired Ernie Zampese in 1987.

Jimmy Raye was the OC for Robinson in 83 & 84, however, they did not have one in 85 & 86 as Robinson took over for the most part with help from Tight End Coach Norv Turner and WR Coach Lew Erber. Brock also comments on that he wished he had more of an opportunity to throw the football, but chose the Rams because he felt they had a good chance to win, turned down other teams like Buffalo.

I always felt it was too bad the Rams did not land Warren Moon a year earlier, who would have been a far better fit for the Rams IMHO. Moon chose the Houston Oilers because the Oilers hired his CFL Head Coach Hugh Campbell as their Head Coach, only to fire him two years later after a 8=24 record always liked Moon and it came down to Houston & Los Angeles, but once the Oilers informed Moon he could bring his Head Coach with him that sealed him going to the Oilers, too bad for the Rams.

Brock also spoke about his injury in 86, said he had a bad back in 85 and then hurt his knee in 86 was put on IR for the first four games and then his back flared back up and was released, but he thought if he could have played in 86 the Rams could have challenged again for the Super Bowl. Again I was not a Brock fan, he played the two worst playoff games as against the Cowboys he was 6-22 for 50 yards and a pick, but the Rams got 248 yards and two TD's from Eric the Great and then against the Bears, Brock could not complete the easy slant pass to Ron Brown, which would have gone the distance, he missed several times.

Overall in this last podcast @jakebogen95 hits it out of the park because there was information I was not privy to especially how bad the passing offense was so you have to factor that in and Brock did complete 60% of his passes in that archaic passing scheme. Loved the interview and look forward to training camp information moving forward....Everyone needs to give this a listen.

FWIW's I have checked the Stats on QB's in that offense before 1987 when Zampese was brought in. In 1983 Vince Ferragmo completed 59.1% of his passes, in 1984 Jeff Kemp completed 50.4 percent, Brock was at 59.7 in 85 and in 1986 rookie Jim Everett was at 49.7%, Dills at 45.7% and Steve Bartkowski at 48.4% so Brock has valid points.
Wow! I really cant stress it enough how much I appreciate this. I should have you write for Downtown Rams. Your throwback knowledge is on another level. I could give you your own column haha

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Your throwback knowledge is on another level. I could give you your own column haha

Love doing this Jake and if you need any background info, JLMK. My memory is my greatest asset and probably the reason why I studied history. Anything you need something just shoot me a PM, I really appreciate you interviewing the Rams of yesteryear, it's been a treat and everyone here appreciates it.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Love doing this Jake and if you need any background info, JLMK. My memory is my greatest asset and probably the reason why I studied history. Anything you need something just shoot me a PM, I really appreciate you interviewing the Rams of yesteryear, it's been a treat and everyone here appreciates it.
I really appreciate that!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dieter Brock played for the Rams?

GREAT stuff Jake as always!!