Three-way battle for starting center job looms for Rams/Wags

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Three-way battle for starting center job looms for Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...battle-for-starting-center-job-looms-for-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- With the St. Louis Rams set to open training camp at the end of the month, we'll spend the rest of this week taking a look at four of the position battles worth watching as camp approaches.

The Rams report for training camp on July 29.

The position: Center

The contenders: Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney

Outlook: None of the other primary training camp battles offer as much uncertainty as this one. Barnes, Jones and Rhaney are almost wholly unproven in the NFL as starters and Rams coach Jeff Fisher has been very open with the idea of these three battling it out throughout camp and the preseason. Organized team activities didn't really offer many clues as to which player might have an edge as the Rams rotated all three contenders with the first team throughout the spring. Barnes would seem to be a logical choice because he's the only one with starting experience though he's only started four games. Jones has limited experience in games and Rhaney sat out his rookie season because of a knee injury. Jones is considered the most intelligent of the three, which is an important attribute for the pivot man. Rhaney has earned positive reviews for his athleticism and toughness. Barnes is something of a mix of the two and knows the offense as well as any lineman on the team.

Projection: All three players are legitimate contenders making this the most difficult position battle to project heading toward camp. Fisher has said the Rams will continue to rotate the trio throughout camp and hopes to settle in to a starter a couple of weeks in. The guess here is that the Rams would like to see Jones win the job given the investment they've made in him in terms of time and draft capital. Assuming he can stay healthy and has added the strength necessary to hold up in the middle, he's the presumptive favorite. But we won't rule out any of the possibilities and it's worth reiterating once again that Rhaney should not be discounted in this. While the Rams have a habit of talking up all of their players, the discussion of Rhaney's potential seems to be much more than just lip service. Don't be surprised if this comes down to Jones and Rhaney with Jones narrowly winning the job.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is C Demetrius Rhaney The Answer at Center?
By Papa Lurch on Jul 16, 2015, 11:10a

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/7...s-roster-preview-depth-chart-demetrius-rhaney

Demetrius Rhaney is one of the biggest unknowns on the Rams roster. On one hand, he was a 7th round pick out of Tennessee State - a FCS (formerly D-II) team. On the other hand, he was projected as a 5-6 round pick at NFL.com and his scouting report touts him as a potential starter.

Rhaney essentially took a medical red-shirt as a rookie with a knee injury. There was no structural damage to the knee and it was eventually diagnosed as a deep bone bruise. There are no long term concerns with the structural integrity of the knee so he heads into his Sophomore season with no injury concerns.

The Rams have an interesting 3-headed battle for their center position that will provide training camp with a lot of intrigue. Rhaney will compete with Tim Barnes and Barrett Jones for not only the starting spot, but for the backup slot as well. While he has been continually promoted as an option by Fisher, Rhaney is likely trailing the other 2 players at the moment.

All three players have their merits, but Rhaney has his work cut out for him if he wants to start. Barnes has the experience, Jones has an advantage with his versatility (he can also play guard) and his Academic All-American pedigree - which can't be disregarded at the most mentally demanding OL position. Rhaney will have to wow coaches at camp if he is going to make an impact.

As an underdog in the center competition, it's reasonable to expect Rhaney to push either Jones or Barnes for playing time early in the preseason. Fisher has repeatedly shown a preference to experience during his time with the Rams, but that term needs to be used loosely with this OL group. I think Rhaney has the potential to push the other two for the starting spot at Center, but I ultimately expect Rhaney to be a backup on the interior OL - whether that be on the final 53-man roster or practice squad.

Even with the Rams deficiencies along the OL, it's difficult to envision Rhaney blowing away the competition in camp. I wavered between 5 and 6 here, but the Rams heavy investment via the draft this year made me knock this down a bit. If he has a sub-par training camp, Rhaney is a good candidate to land on the practice squad. If he has a great camp,he could be one of the final OL to make it through roster cuts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Demetrius Rhaney does have a few things going for him....
(#1)-The big surprise nugget that came out of OTA's that the preferred pure power blocking scheme (PBS)by Paul Boudreau would get many Zone blocking scheme (ZBS) additions this season must have had Rhaney on his knees thanking the very big guy upstairs. When you are under 300 pounds & under 6-2 the PBS of Boudreau is not the best place to land. So not sure how to say this...he will certainly stand out (as dinky) amongst all the tall & huge others. But a 223 round is also dinky, however it does serious damage when it hits something when traveling at that speed & is America's most favorite ammo round. Think on that DR.

(#2)- One thing we know is DR is quick & fast & its said he can usually hit his intended target. So that marriage should come in handy for DR. Compared to the newly recruited OL monsters DR will look like a big FB standing in the OL unit cadre. DR has already made himself some fans here in ROD land without ever playing a snap in regular season. Another positive nugget. While I am not in this group I did like what limited action I did see early from DR in pre season last summer.

That's another good nugget to bring out for DR(#3)- Being that DR benefited from the total absences of starting 2014 center Scott Wells & the injury to center Barrett Jones (back & surgery). As mentioned several times before our 2014 first team center in training camp & pre season Tim Barnes had to fight through nagging neck & upper shoulder injury during this TC & PS time...so onto the point here DR was able to get in a ton of action during this time until he too fell pray to the center health epidemic. So with DR being here a full year will put him far ahead of the 7 rookie new arrivals.

(#4)-DR should look back at the last 3 seasons at the player Fisher & Boudreau choose to be starting leader center of their OL. He was a 6-2 300 pound dinky too. But IMO what the Ram Org. valued most was what between the ears of Wells not anything to do with his small size. So the point here of the four present OC candidates (Barnes-Jones-DR & Wang)what will really matter when its all said & done is the brainwork!

The new refurbished & rebuilt 2015 OL will need one heck of a MIT mind to get this OL lined up & assignments known before the snap. NFL Experience with this new OL will be one serious enhancement to any Ram OL'er that has it. This sure seems to put DR & Wang way behind Barnes & Jones. Barnes by far has been here before Boudreau & played in 45 NFL games since 2011. Jones may very well have a MIT caliber brain.

fearsomefour

Legend
In the limited action Rhaney got last preseason before he was injured he jumped off the screen....at least to me. Much, much quicker than the other interior lineman and he showed he could get to the second level run blocking. I was very excited by the little we saw. Now, how that translates and carries over, who knows?
It is going to be tough to make the roster as a C only. I think the Rams may carry 9 or 10 O lineman this season. With Robinson, Saffold and 3 of the drafted rookies dogeared to make it, along with Reynolds and Battle being "keeps" also it gets tight. Add in Bond, Washington and the other carry overs and Rhaney has his work cut out for him. Guys like Bond will really have to improve to make the roster.
Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Brown, Havenstein, Battle, Reynolds, Washington, Rhaney, Wichmann are my ten.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In the limited action Rhaney got last preseason before he was injured he jumped off the screen....at least to me. Much, much quicker than the other interior lineman and he showed he could get to the second level run blocking. I was very excited by the little we saw. Now, how that translates and carries over, who knows?
It is going to be tough to make the roster as a C only. I think the Rams may carry 9 or 10 O lineman this season. With Robinson, Saffold and 3 of the drafted rookies dogeared to make it, along with Reynolds and Battle being "keeps" also it gets tight. Add in Bond, Washington and the other carry overs and Rhaney has his work cut out for him. Guys like Bond will really have to improve to make the roster.
Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Brown, Havenstein, Battle, Reynolds, Washington, Rhaney, Wichmann are my ten.

Yep.....if you do not win a starting post in a Boudreau OL your ONLY hope is if you can play several other OL posts too. But the OC is looked @ a bit different tha the other four OL posts too.

In DR's case it would be @ OLG/ORG. Not sure a under 6-2 300 pounder like DR will make the holes open up like 6-4 323 pound Brown or a 6-5 332 pound Saffold. The OG back ups like Bond 6-6 335, Washington 6-3 320, Wichmann 6-6 315-320. DR could use his speed to be a bright sparkle on early blocking ST's! (y)This is where center Barnes earned his spot & hung on for many seasons.....;)

If this early 2015 Ram version OL does something that has not occurred since Fisher arrived....remain healthy then the best I see for DR is a solid practice squad position @ first. Then wait as the season progresses & if an opportunity comes up (usually does) & then secure it hard.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yep.....if you do not win a starting post in a Boudreau OL your ONLY hope is if you can play several other OL posts too. But the OC is looked @ a bit different tha the other four OL posts too.

In DR's case it would be @ OLG/ORG. Not sure a under 6-2 300 pounder like DR will make the holes open up like 6-4 323 pound Brown or a 6-5 332 pound Saffold. The OG back ups like Bond 6-6 335, Washington 6-3 320, Wichmann 6-6 315-320. DR could use his speed to be a bright sparkle on early blocking ST's! (y)This is where center Barnes earned his spot & hung on for many seasons.....;)

If this early 2015 Ram version OL does something that has not occurred since Fisher arrived....remain healthy then the best I see for DR is a solid practice squad position @ first. Then wait as the season progresses & if an opportunity comes up (usually does) & then secure it hard.
If he came to the Rams at 300 lbs, I doubt he still is. Even getting to 315 could help him. Speed and quickness is his game anyway. Getting to a spot, to the second level and shielding and directing, not over powering guys.
In the case of guys like Bond I think their size works against them somewhat. It is easy enough to find quick guys, easier to find huge guys....the hard part is finding big guys that can move. Not 40 times but move within the game. Get to the second level, react and reset is pass pro, move laterally. The little I have seen of Bond he is stiff and has trouble moving. A good, smaller DT will get under his pads or get him off balance and the play is blown up.
Washington was much the same at G but showed some solid play at T last preseason. I could see him competing as a 4th T. The supplemental drafting of Battle is interesting as well though as I am sure he will either be given a roster spot or be cut. Assigning him to the practice squad almost assures someone will grab him once the injury bug starts to bit.
The C competition is interesting. Jones has all the accolades but can't get on the field, Barnes is solid in all facets but not great in any, Rhaney has the biggest upside and athleticism but limited size.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Yeah I wasn't crazy over the Andrew Donnal pick either, however, Donnal can play Tackle & Guard, but I like your ten @fearsomefour and this group is young and they have a future not a past!

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah I wasn't crazy over the Andrew Donnal pick either, however, Donnal can play Tackle & Guard, but I like your ten @fearsomefour and this group is young and they have a future not a past!
I have seen Wichmann more being out west. Leaving Donnal off was more based on picking up Battle and Washington's ability to play T as well (in my perception of him anyway).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have seen Wichmann more being out west. Leaving Donnal off was more based on picking up Battle and Washington's ability to play T as well (in my perception of him anyway).

I have not seen any of Wichman and limited on Donnal. IMO both seem to be better at pass protection than run blocking, but I concur about Washington they seem to be hanging on him for some reason or another.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have not seen any of Wichman and limited on Donnal. IMO both seem to be better at pass protection than run blocking
I see the 6-6/316 pound rookie Cody Wichmann as a close clone & possible future replacement for the NFL veteran journeyman 6-7 305 Garrett Reynolds. Seems to be a reasonable ORG/ORT/OLG reserve if there is a need for one.

Reference rookie Andrew Donnal. I see him as a primary reserve ORT with some promising abilities in his future as a much needed valuable Swing OT. He is so much more OT than OG. His big negative with many positives was his total lack of strength & power. If he is as smart as they say he is we should give him a chance to stick.
Washington they seem to be hanging on him for some reason or another.
That was before they made major investments & signed 7 new rookies. IMO the only real chance for BW to make this master roster is if there is a major need & concerns @ the OLG post.
....... Leaving Donnal off was more based on picking up Battle and Washington's ability to play T as well (in my perception of him anyway).
Yep Washington has played in all over the OL since 2012. I'm much aware of him playing OLT & ORT but I just do not think that will carry much weight if he is not able to really improve in his play @ OG. P.S BW is much better on the let side. I do not see BW making this master roster myself.

I really have a much differing opinion from from you two (fearsomefour & den-the-coach) on your prognostication back up Ram center choice to make the the master roster......with experience being in very short supply I just do not see the 2nd most experienced Ram Ol'er over the last 4 yr being dumped in favor a OC with zero NFL experience who plays just one post. Barnes has played the three interior OL posts in several pre seasons now & has been the 6th game day Ol'er third goal-line OT for a long period of time.

Bottom line on the top ten Ram Ol'ers who would make the best Ram 2015 OL....without seeing any possible injuries which are sure to occur. I see the five starters as Robinson- Saffold- Barnes- Brown- Havenstein. The top two game day reserves would be Garrett Reynolds & Barrett Jones who could easily cover all five of the starters without any issues. The 3 main future investments to be retained to fill out 10 would be Cody Wichmann swing OG, Andrew Donnal swing OT & Isaiah Battle OLT. I also see value in having Rhaney OC & Williams OT on the practice squad.

Last edited: